Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hope HB160
  • Andy-R

Anyone on here riding one of these? I quite like the idea of one, especially as I’m not after something that’s ultra long, low and slack…
    Is it as nice as it appears to be, in other words?
    I know that it won’t instantly give me Adam Brayton-like skills (just like a LV 301 didn’t make me the Manx Tobi Leonhardt…) but, for some reason, I quite fancy one as the last bike that I’ll ever buy…

sharkattack

I sat on one on Saturday. It’s a beautiful thing. For some reason I was expecting it to feel much lighter than my full metal bike but it really didn’t. It feels absolutely solid though. I love what they’ve done with the back end.

So yeah, I’m also interested in feedback from owners. There must be some downsides.

Demo bikes are available from 18 Bikes in Hope if you want to ride one. I’m tempted but I’m also married to my current bike and just being sucked in by the sexiness.

teethgrinder

Got one. Love it.
    After my spitfire snapped it was top of a very short list for replacements. Other bikes were the Cotic Rocket and the Bird Aeris.

For the level of kit, and if you like Hope bits, its a no brainer, although the 2019 has gone up to £6300, but it does have XO1 Eagle.

Ended up with a large. Medium was a little too short.

Now running a 30t green oval superstar ring and Spesh butcher/hillbilly combo and oneup edc.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Beautiful bike. I couldn’t live with the orange ano / Kashima clash though. Best get it covered in mud. 👍🏼

teethgrinder

Cheers. That was the day i picked it up. It’s been very manky since, although it’s currently clean in the living room, next to the TV.

Don’t notice the clash, but the problem is all the colours they do are lush. Blue with red small parts, purple with bike, pure silver. All lush.

Currently collecting bits to go 12 speed eventually. E13 kit for the XX1 shifter, Garbaruk cage for the mech and GX cassette all needed. So basically a have an XD driver in the spares box!

dirkpitt74

Lovely looking bike.
    Would be interested to see how one rides.
    Would have to be ‘team green’ if I had one.

lowey

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23jjDLH]20180225_111744[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

Got mine last January. On a medium as I like a short reach bike. Used mainly around West Pennine Moors and Lakes. I generally prefer rocky techy riding.

Honestly its the best bike I’ve ever owned. Had a Mk1 and Mk2 Bronson before it and I think the Hope is miles ahead. Climbs brilliantly without any of the lag / drag of the Bronsons. Going downhill is excellent also. I’m a full on mincer but it has improved practically every Strava segment I’ve taken it down. Feels very planted on the steep stuff. Hardly get any pedal strikes, which was a major problem with my old Bronson.

From a purely vain point of view, I think they look utterly stunning, especially in the flesh. Components, as you would expect, are all top notch too. I also have the added confidence that if I ever did have a problem, Hope are just round the corner and have legendary customer service.

The only thing I have changed are some carbon wheels. The Tech 35’s are made of cheese. The bespoke rear hub did present some problems for the builder though, but all sorted.

I honestly cant ever see me getting rid unless I break it.

akira

Had a go on one, loved it. Was trying ebikes at the same time and the 160 was awesome, felt proper fast and steered like a scalpel.

lowey

Andy-R

lowey – as it sounds like you do the same kind of riding as me, what height are you, if you don’t mind me asking?

lowey

5’10 Andy. Every chart says I should be on a large, but the medium just felt better for me.

If you near Bolton / Manchester your quite welcome to pop a leg over it.

Andy_K

Looking at the state of my current frames i wouldn’t dare pay out for one, but the finish on them is worth the asking IMO, if that’s your bag.

Akers

Lovely looking machine, the HB160. You have to admire the engineering. Was tempted when looking for a new All-Mountain/Enduro bike last year, but 3 things put me off; the wheels (non-standard rear hub and soft rims), short reach, and drive train spec. Good to see they have embraced Eagle 12 speed this year.

sharkattack

There must be new rims coming from Hope eventually. They seem to be universally disliked and people (including me) have been whinging about them for years now.

They’re definitely out of place on the HB160.

I like the non standard rear hub and brakes though, because I think that’s how everyone else SHOULD be doing it.

timoth27

Like sharkatack said I think the rear hub is excellent, In refusing to compromise they have made the whole bike better. As for the rims well I’d be very surprised if they dont come up with a carbon rim soon.

nickc

Love teethgrinder’s bike. That is a BOLD colour scheme my friend.

Andy-R

Premier Icon
    lowey

Subscriber
    5’10 Andy. Every chart says I should be on a large, but the medium just felt better for me.

If you near Bolton / Manchester your quite welcome to pop a leg over it.

An inch taller than me then – I’d probably go for a medium too. It’s the same with the 301 – some people my height go for a medium but a lot choose the long. It all depends what you want to do with it, no doubt.

I’m not that far from Bolton (as the crow flies) but that stretch of water is a bit inconvenient….
    Very many thanks for the offer though!

teethgrinder
    Trimix
    Free Member

I’m very curious, in the real world, what does it weigh ?
    For £6.3k I would want a very good bike, not just one that looks damn good.

teethgrinder

It’s not a light bike. 30lb plus, and a canny bit of weight could be saved at the rims.
    But, it is strong and rides brilliantly.

fossy

I had a chat with a lad that had got one through his ‘work’ – obviously a rather good bike to work option. Stunning bikes. As has been said, not light but built to last. The carbon weave is astounding.

There I was on my Boardman FS Pro !! I can’t justify one as an ex-roadie – I’m a bit crap going downhill. I have a custom made road bike that I don’t ride any more – totally unique, but I need to get saving for a Hope !

dirkpitt74

Seeing as the price has gone up what have they changed on the 2019 model?

teethgrinder

XO1 Eagle inc cranks as SRAM only do the full groupset (although some shops will swap for Hope cranks).
    £50 option for Ohlins forks and shock
    £1350 option for Santa Cruz wheels.

So Eagle is probably the biggest cost change, Brexit £ issues adding some cost and a bit of general price increase.

dirkpitt74

Thanks. Any updates to the geometry?

teethgrinder

No changes to the frame or geometry.

timoth27

Interesting how Santa Cruz no longer seem to use hope hubs but hope now offer Santa Cruz wheels! Or is it sc rims on hope hubs (actually must be as non standard rear)

dirkpitt74

Wonder if the (potential) HB130 will have slightly more progressive geometry?

tomhoward

Well, it’s got 29” wheels, it’s just popped up on 18 bikes FB feed. I assume it’s on display at Core.

DickBarton

Ah baws…another would be nice (so start saving!) ruined by the wheel size…ah well.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hope HB160’ is closed to new replies.