Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Hope HB.916 first ride review: The Perfect Bike?
  • Ben_Haworth

The Hope HB.916 is one of the nicest looking bikes we’ve seen. But does the 160/170mm enduro bike live up to its aesthetic promise?

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Hope HB.916 first ride review: The Perfect Bike?

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

tomhoward

Seven grand! You can get a Santa Cruz with middling spec suspension and brakes for that!

Oh, wait…

weeksy

NAh, that carbon does indeed look incredibly naff.

sharkattack

I’ll read all this later but it’s on my shortlist.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Tom Howard
    Seven grand! You can get a Santa Cruz with middling spec suspension and brakes for that!

Oh, wait…

When Tom Howard mentions the price you know there’s a problem.

a11y

Does that £7k build as pictured, i.e. with the Ohlins etc?

Very bling finish, possibly too jazzy for me, but desireable all the same. IMO not as neat looking as the Deviate Claymore.

tomhoward

When Tom Howard mentions the price you know there’s a problem.

For clarity, the problem isn’t Hope’s pricing…

Does that £7k build as pictured, i.e. with the Ohlins etc?

Yeah. No. Spec is higher, according to Hopes website, you get X01 gears. #internetrummaging

ads678

Stunning! I want one. Can’t afford one, but I want one.

When the lottery started years ago, I always used to say the first thing I’d do is go to Blackpool if I won, to buy a TVR. Now I think I’d go to Barnoldswick!

monkeyboyjc

The Hope <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>HB.916</span> is one of the nicest looking bikes we’ve seen for quite some time

Cirtainly from the hope stable imo – but it’s still not a particularly attractive bike, again imo…… As with all hope design it’s a bit utilitarian for my tastes 😜

vinnyeh

The dampers (journo speak for fork and rear shock) are both from Öhlins and I ended up running them completely open. It did take me a little while to get them to come to life, as it were. Basically, they felt really harsh (almost stiction-y but not) until I reached a very healthy amount of sag, circa 20% fork, 33% shock. I’m sure faster/better riders than me may like them run less sagged but I think it’s worth saying that a lot of mortals should experiment with running significantly softer pressures than they usually do on other brands’ dampers.

Can you expand a bit on this. You had to run all the damping circuits wide open ie minimum damping high, low, rebound, compression, and run lower than expected pressures in order to get the suspension to perform smoothly . And suspension performance was still controlled?

razorrazoo

Oh, wait…

Pinkbike comments section is over there —>

stingmered

All that beauty and still an ugly bottle cage… Should have been a fidlock (though appreciate the difficulty if it’s a hacks’ review-bike being passed around…)

ayjaydoubleyou

All that beauty and still an ugly bottle cage…

bottle cage with no bottle in it always looks naff.

stick a STW branded bottle in it for the photos. Free advertising if/when the photos end up circulating the internet.

Ben_Haworth

@vinnyeh In a word: yes. It’s something to tinker with if/when we get the bike back in. I’d like to have got to the point where things were ‘too open’ and then dial back from there (mainly for reassurance). Stay tuned basically.

chestrockwell

Would be what I’d buy if I had the money. Lovely.

teethgrinder

Totally biased here, but it is a rather good bike.

Running the -1deg top headset cup in mine, and I am shocked at how well it turns in the twisty stuff – thought 29ers were meant to be unwieldy barges, but this thing rips. Tried it as a mullet and it climbs easier as well.

As for the price and all that, plenty of people do dentist cosplay and buy Yeti’s – they are just daft money, and the 916 comes with the choice of an Ohlins coil or air shock, which aren’t exactly cheap. £3600 for a frame set, £6k for a bike minus groupset or £7k for an Ohlins/XO1 build is a lot, but not the most expensive these days.

And carbon weave? At least it’s not paint over filler.

boardmanfs18

nice bike but the weight if correct is a bit off-putting, 15.9kg! My Ripmo is 2kg lighter.

dirkpitt74

Looks stunning, I’d be hard pushed between the raw carbon and the chameleon paint……

sharkattack

Every review of the Ohlins mentions how heavily damped they are to the point where it effects traction. I’d probably run a Zeb if they’re as good as my Lyrik Ultimate which I’m very happy with.

desperatebicycle

15.9kg?! What happened to full sus bikes getting lighter. 30lb always seemed like a good limit to me, but 35lb? jeez I couldn’t cope with that in my old n feeble state.

teethgrinder

Chameleon is lovely and you can still see the carbon weave through the paint. But it is an extra £500.

sharkattack

Geometry trumps weight every time in my experience. A bike that fits and is a comfortable place to sit is much nicer to get around on than a very light bike with old school geometry.

tomhoward

What happened to full sus bikes getting lighter.

Stopped being a thing about 10 years ago.

£500 for the chameleon paint, when compared to getting it done aftermarket, is a bargain.

Trimix
    Free Member

Good or bad geometry, you still need to pedal it uphill.

The price of top spec bikes is pretty daft. I’ve just bought a motorcycle for less than that !

tomhoward

I’ve just bought a motorcycle for less than that !

Is it ‘top spec’? As in would be competitive racing on the world stage?

Akers

It looks tidy, but I prefer the look of the Deviate Claymore…more.
    It’s a shame there’s no mullet option on the Deviates.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

15.9kg?! What happened to full sus bikes getting lighter. 30lb always seemed like a good limit to me, but 35lb? jeez I couldn’t cope with that in my old n feeble state.

I think the 30lb “limit” went out the window when bikes became 150mm travel FS 29ers with dropper posts and proper tyres, not 80mm travel hardtails. It was always a bit arbitrary as a “I’m not spending £2k on a bike that weighs more than an entry level one” sort of way.

And really, it’s not (likely to be) a 2kg heavier frame, so comparisons like “it’s 2kg heavier than……” is just saying …… has lighter tires, air suspension, etc.

sharkattack

Good or bad geometry, you still need to pedal it uphill.

I have loads of times. I’d take a Geometron over an old carbon Stumpjumper for climbing any day regardless of the weight difference.

ta11pau1

Yeah I thought the weight thing was yesterdays news, it makes very little difference unless you’re regularly doing hikeabike or lifting it over gates.

And it’s not just the weight of the bike, it’s “system” weight – ie you and the bike and everything you’re carrying. If you’re 50kg then a 2kg weight saving on the bike is going to have a bigger impact than if you’re 100kg. But losing 2kg of bodyweight will have the same impact as losing 2kg of bike weight (ignoring any rotating weight loss). And it’s probably cheaper too!

desperatebicycle

Yeah, well I’m yesterday’s news too. Means I couldn’t lose 2kg if I starved myself for a month for one thing.
    No way would a bike that heavy ever suit me, so… huh. Whatevs 😛

dirkpitt74

About the same weight as my Carbon Nukeproof Mega 290.

ta11pau1

It matters more on a 120mm downcountry bike, but on a 160/170mm enduro bike, nah. Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. 😁

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

At one point, it looked like World Cup DH bikes wer going to dip below 30lb; there was a fair few running around the 32-33lb mark.

That said, the evolution of bikes has been impressive and the HB916 has to be up there with the most droolworthy of steeds.

For comparison, my 27.5″ zerode taniwha weighs about the same and though it makes you sweat that bit more on the ups, you’re very much rewarded for your hard work when gravity is your friend

ayjaydoubleyou

At one point, it looked like World Cup DH bikes wer going to dip below 30lb; there was a fair few running around the 32-33lb mark.

enduro guys are often using DH tyres, Zeb/38 arent much off a DH fork. And the downhill bikes are missing droppers and a massive cassette.

£ for £ I’d expect a DH bike to come in lighter than a true race ready big enduro bike.

sharkattack

Lots of people quietly backed away from very lightweight DH bikes when they realised how twitchy and unstable they became. There’s also a lot people on the WC racing with lead weights in or around the BB area.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I think the 30lb “limit” went out the window when bikes became 150mm travel FS 29ers with dropper posts and proper tyres, not 80mm travel hardtails

Pretty much this, though I’d change that to read

I think the 30lb “limit” went out the window when 150mm travel FS 29ers with dropper posts and proper tyres stopped pedaling like somewhere in the linkage was zebedee on mdma

Even as a confirmed weight weenie I think much of the “heavy bikes are bad” comes either from received wisdom or terrible experience of heavy bikes that’s 10+ years old.

Not to say light bikes aren’t good, would I take an identical bike which was magically 1kg lighter, yep, in a heartbeat.
    Would I take 1kg out of a bike by fitting different tyres, probably not.

tomhoward

There was a chap on the old MBUK/bike radar forum who reckoned to a have built a 29ishlb carbon 26” V10 when that first came out, loads of scale shots and no reason to doubt him.

He wasn’t racing on the WC circuit, as you might imagine…

Edit found him https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12924035/my-santacruz-v10-5-carbon-custom-build-30lbs-page-2

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Edit found him https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12924035/my-santacruz-v10-5-carbon-custom-build-30lbs-page-2

What sort of self respecting weight weenie leaves the sleeve in a BB?

tomhoward

self respecting weight weenie

Lolz

desperatebicycle

Does everyone race enduro these days then? Or is it just the “perfect bike” for the wannabe?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.