Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Hope HB 130
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

Who can claim/prove they’ve had a wheel failure due to uneven dishing? Every wheel I’ve had fail has been the because the rim is trashed and most of those were Hope!

Kamakazie

When the HB160 came out they talked about it being the RR link.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    So got to see one in the flesh for the first time at Peddlers in Redcar.
    It was an XL with blue bits and it was very nice. Blue wouldn’t have been my first choice but it looked very good.
    My preferred colours are silver or green.
    Fit seemed spot on which I was slightly surprised at as I thought a large would be the size for me but I think a back to back test is in order.
    May need a visit to the factory to try them both.
    Didn’t get to ride it in the street as it was pishing down.
    It had Forteus 30 wheels on which although not the lightest have made me realise I probably don’t need to pay an extra £1350 for the Santa Cruz rimmed wheels. I would just have new rims built on at a later date.
    Weight of the whole bike including Hope pedals was 32lb on the shop digital scales which also surprised me as I didn’t think it would be that heavy.
    Anyway I’m even more convinced that I need (want) one just need to work out how to finance it .
    Cheers
    Steve

pipiom
    Free Member

Mine should drop, early next week. (Orange bits)
    Just a little bit excited.

sparkerfix

How long for build/delivery?

Jordan

@sparkerfix around six weeks I think depending how busy they are.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Visited the factory today to check on sizes and have ended up going for XL.
    It was odd as the L is longer than my current bikes which have more traditional geometry but when I was stood up with the seat down the bars seemed to far underneath me.
    The guy from the factory (Doddy) seemed to think that this was because the position of the seat tube (Due to the angle) relative to my normal position was different-or something like that! He confirmed my feeling by saying that, watching me, the XL seemed a better fit.
    Have gone for silver bits with green hardware. Apparently this hasn’t been done yet???
    Delivery mid January hopefully.
    Cheers
    Steve

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Picked the bike up 3 weeks ago from the factory and very nice it is. Thanks to Doddy for the factory tour and the whole experience and got some freebies thrown in!
    XL with silver and green bits, Hope cranks and Santa Cruz reserve rims upgrade. (Figured I was only going to do this once so pushed the boat out a bit).
    Came with tubes installed but went tubeless very easily ie minutes!
    Came in the “low” setting which felt really good but set it in the “high” setting for one ride at Hamsterley (just to try) and it made it too long and a bit unwieldy so it’s back the way it was and feels better for it.
    It’s a bit weighty at 31lbs and I can feel the weight on climbs but pedals very nicely.
    The plus side of this is it feels very solid and reassuring on descents. Jumps and lands nicely and feels very settled.

Been to Hamsterley 3x and Whinlatter once and I would say it’s not the ideal trail centre bike (compared to say, my Evil Following).
    Have yet to do an xc/trail type ride but hopefully this week sometime at Reeth maybe.

The Fox suspension was set up as per manufacturers recommendations and I’m not sure I’m subtle enough to improve much beyond that.
    At 6 foot and evenly proportioned could maybe have gone L with a 50mm stem but it’s done now.
    Some minor teething problems:
    -The Fox seatpost is a bit “sticky” and needs some care to keep operating smoothly. Only ever used reverbs before with no issues.
    -First experience of SRAM shifters and don’t like the lack of multiple downshifts. Going to stick with it for a while but may swap shifter and mech for Shimano (probably XTR)
    -rear brake lever doesn’t return like the front one does but probably just needs some lube.

For reference also currently have:
    -2016 Intense Carbine-fantastic all round trail bike. Weighs 28lb and Large is spot on.
    -2016 Evil Following-lovely “poppy” trail bike and excellent for trail centres. Large possibly a bit small and maybe should have gone XL?
    -2017 Trek Slash 9.9RSP-full on trail flattening enduro monster. If I’m honest maybe just too much bike for what I’m capable of.
    -Recently had 2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc- excellent xc/trail bike and with 150mm fork fitted geometry not too xc. Again maybe XL would have been better.

If I had to choose one the Hope would just pip the Intense. If the Hope was 2lb lighter it would win hands down but it’s a close call.

Going to use it (the Hope) on Ard Dales and Ardrock later this year but so far very good overall.
    Cheers
    Steve

Jordan

@fatgit the seatpost may be a warranty job. I got my 130 just before xmas. The droper worked fine atfirst and has slowly got worse. I was out on thur and it stuck down evry time and had to pull it back up. I noticed a couple of times that the lip of the seal had folded down into the post and seamed to be jamming it. I contacted Doddy who put me onto Silverfish for a warranty job. It’ll be heading there on monday.

fatgit
    Free Member

@ Jordan
    Cheers for that I’ll keep
    An eye on it
    Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Hope HB 130’ is closed to new replies.