• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope / GXP Conversion – any users out there?
  • Taff
    Free Member

I’m fed up of replacing my Sram bottom bracket every few months when the drive side bearing fails despite no end of maintenance to avoid any issues. I know hope stuff is generally pretty good on the longevity side of things but I haven’t tried this set up before.

I think I’m going to go for a Hope steel b/b with the gxp conversion kit but want to know who has done this and how long your b/b has lasted so far in comparison to the Sram b/b.

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, had a Hope BB fitted when the first GXP died within six months of infrequent use. The Hope BB is still going strong a few years on, now with Zee cranks after the Truvativ ones broke.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, 12 months in and no issues, the last one was from one of the early batched and still going. File a small groove into the push on fittings just in case you need to remove it though.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i used to have the hope BB with converters and a truvativ stylo crankset. ran it on 2 bikes for over a year with no issues, and so far subsequently have been using the same hope BB (well, one of them) on my current MTB with an XT crankset for 8 months, still going strong.
    so yeah. it’s been fine for me!

ontor
    Free Member

yep – 3 years, no problems

mintimperial

Yep, but with ceramic bearings. Now over three years old, first 1.5 years were heavy use, the last 1.5 less heavy but on a single-speed that never gets cleaned. Bombproof, still running smoothly.

shaggy

All good here as well. I also did the trick with a couple of filed grooves as the inserts are pretty hard to get out without them.

Northwind

I’m sure I’ve got a set of hte inserts somewhere, never likely to use them, do you want me to see if I can track them down?

(reason being, I replaced my Truvativ cranks with Shimano, just made more sense. Especially since my cheap old XTR M970s weighed almost exactly the same as my X0 carbons 😛 )

Taff
    Free Member

All really positive responses so looks like this is the way to go. Many thanks for the responses.

Northwind – very kind of you, don’t worry though. By the time postage and packaging is taken into account I may add well go mail order. Thank you though.

Taff
    Free Member

What do you mean by file a groove? is this to lever it out? Can you not drift them out?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope / GXP Conversion – any users out there?’ is closed to new replies.