Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope front brake "ticking/pinging" – any ideas ?
  • rickt
    Free Member

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can share there advice or recommendation to tweak my front brake.

Under medium to heavy braking I get a ticking/pinging noise from the front brake when applied.

Its sounds like the outer edge of the rotor is catching on the pins which hold the pads in position. On the stand the wheel runs true with no catching but looks very close to the pad pin.

I have put 0.5mm of hope shims between the caliper mounting and fork to try and push the caliper out a faction but the issue is still there, (its possibly) not as bad, however i don’t like the idea of having to shim the caliper outwards. (could shim out the caliper too the mounting bracket too if needs be) (prefer a clean flat machined contact surface ideally.)

The brakes are Hope Tech Evo M4 Brakes with a 183mm saw rotor mounted on a Fox 32 Float 140 FIT CTD.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.

mrmoofo

It’s not the rotor bolts hitting the fork ?

rickt
    Free Member

thanks – no, dont think so, looks all clean and plenty of room within reason.

The caliper pin did have a tiny bit of scoring on it when I rotated the pin 180′ degrees. (cant confirm that was never there though but does look like the offending part I think.)

Cheers

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

pad spring slightly bent out of shape and touching the disc when the brakes are applied?

rickt
    Free Member

Biscuit Powered, cheers – one thing for me to check.

Thanks

Rickos
    Free Member

Yeah, usually the pad springs pinging off the holes on the disc.

tadpole
    Free Member

I had this happen, I should have bought 180 mm rotors. As the disc gets hot under braking it expands, and makes contact with the pad pins, doesn’t happen on bike stand cos you ain’t getting the disc hot enough to make it expand. Possibly…!

spectabilis
    Free Member

Floating Rotors? …

rickt
    Free Member

Thanks = I will take a look at the pad spring again.

In regards to the temp, i should of added i can replicate the issue under say 50% braking power when the rotors are cold at 10mph.

Thanks

mike399
    Free Member

I had a very similar issue with X2s running 183mm floating discs on RS sids. I thought it may be down to flex in the lightweight fork, possible over powerful brakes…

I had some hope non floating 160mm rotors and decided to give them a whirl. When I took the caliper off to change the mount, I noticed the disc had been clipping the very edge of the mount which I couldn’t see when in position. I assumed I hadn’t set them up with even spacings etc. and the disc was being pushed over from one side…

Spent a bit of time making sure calipers were evenly spaced, mount moved out of way on fixings etc. – Not had a problem since. Worth a look.

rickt
    Free Member

Cheers for that mike, i will take a look.

Im going to take the shims out again as its not resolved the issue anyway.

Just a shame it takes so long to fine tune them… test ride.. and tweak again…. etc..

Thank you

spw3

I’ve had this a lot with Hope brakes, more with Mono Minis than M4s and never with V2s. It’s the spring that’s got bent and is catching on the holes in the rotor. If you don’t sort it put it will heat up the spring which will fail. Easy fix though, just carefully bend the free end of the spring so they are flush with the pad backing.

rickt
    Free Member

Cheers – Will take a look at that tonight

rickt
    Free Member

Hello,

I had a look last night and cant seem to figure out how to stop the metal pad “spring” catching ?? There’s enough play in it to produce such a noise with zero impact in braking.

Im 99% sure its the pad spring, but should these be sat floating or more secure. ??

Any tips ?

Thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope front brake "ticking/pinging" – any ideas ?’ is closed to new replies.