Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hope Fortus
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m so out of touch with the many different standards for all things mountain biking these days – can anyone advise which rim width I should be going for? If it helps the bike is an Occam H30, I’m 100kg and it’s for general trail riding (not downhill or anything like that). Cheers!

qwerty
    Free Member

25mm – 30mm so around 27.5mm ish.

joepud
    Free Member

Personally just to future proof I would go for the Fortus 30s. I have 25s on my hardtail and getting some maxxis that are not wide tyre specific was a hassle.

honourablegeorge

You want the Fortus 30 I’d say, but confusingly there are two versions of Fortus 30, a heavy DH one, and a lighter single wall one, you’d want the light one for your use.

If you’re not committed to Hope, DT Swiss XM481 is a better buy for similar money.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

To be honest I’m finding it a huge performance to find anything in the spec I need that’s also in stock. I’ve had Hope hubs before and I really like them which is why I went with the Fortus.
    Single wall 30mm helps enormously. Thanks George. 👍👍

felltop

Definitely 30mm. My Occam came with a nice pair of DT Swiss wheels, I think the rims are XM481’s. The stock Maxxis tyres (DHF 2.5 & DHR 2.4) sit really nicely on them.

anderzz
    Free Member

I am 90kg and run fortus 30.

dyna-ti

Fortus 35 ?. 2.5″-3″ Classed as a trail rim.

lardman
    Free Member

I’m using a Fortus 35 with a Maxcis 2.4 wt tyre and it’s sits very nicely. Rim is not very tough though, dents easily.

escrs
    Free Member

Im running Hope Fortus 30 Downhill rims on my e-mtb since they were first released and they have been pretty indestrucable but obviously have a weight penatly

Im a serial wheel killer, even my DT Swiss EX1501 enduro wheels struggled with the pounding they took on the e-mtb, after 2 months i had dented the sidewall and had to straighten it out to get the tyre to stay up tubeless, they are now resigned to the hardtail

For general trail riding then look at the Fortus 30 SC and the Fortus 35 wheels

Also look at what DT Swiss have to offer

reeksy

I just swapped the Fortus 30 dh rims out for EX511 rear and XM481 front on a HT to reduce a bit of weight.

If you’re not a smasher then definitely get the single wall 30s.

joebristol

Personally I’d find a local wheel builder and get them to build Hope Pro4 hubs onto dt swiss rims – XM481 if you’re not too hard on wheels – EX511 if you’re a bit rougher on them (could go ex511 read / XM481 front as another option).

At the moment DT Swiss rims beat Hope Fortus ones in almost every way.

sotonkona
    Free Member

I went with Fortus 26 for my Kona Process 134, great for general trail riding, not as weighty as the 30 and easily take a 29x 2.4 tyre with no worries. Next time around I’d probably look at a DT XM481 or similar rim option though, whilst the Fortus rims have done well for the 4000 miles I have used them on (I am not gentle with them!), they are quite heavy versus the competition.

dyna-ti

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

DT swiss new rim FR541, the guys at fanatik couldn’t destroy them, similar video on GMBN with Blake Sampson & Sam Reynolds thoroughly testing Spank wheels a while back too.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I put Hope Fortus 26 on my Switch9er as I wanted lighter / easier to pedal 2.4 Ardents for gentle broken leg recovery rides.
    Moving into winter I just bought 2.3 High Rollers for under £30 each from CRC. Cheap I guess as they are not height of fashion tread pattern or size at the moment.
    Always been happy with 2.3 tyres, usually use DHR / DHF combo on my old TR Scout.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.