Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope Fortus 35
  • filks

Any have any real world experience?
    Thinking of using some on a Cotic BFeMAX but looking at Hope’s website I am left still not sure where they sit in the line up for gnar. Build I’m going for is more solid trail than Enduro – 140mm forks, 2.6 in tyres
    Any thoughts/experience/feedback appreciated

chrishc777
    Free Member

They do seem unreasonably heavy, as were the old Tech rims, DT are the best alu rim I’ve used. For a trail bike a air of XM481 are perfect

sharkattack

I really disliked mine. Very heavy and on an already burly build I think they tipped my bike over the edge. It felt like I was riding in limp mode.

It’s also very easy to dent the edges of the rim which stick out so far. Mine were pretty wavy all the way around after a few months.

They looked cool and I love how big my tyres came up on them but my bike feels miles better to ride on DT XM481. No dents yet either after very similar useage in the Alps.

joepud
    Free Member

I have a set on my Solaris (came with the bike) and I would say they are perfectly fine do the job. But I have some EX511s on my other bike which are better in every way stronger, lighter, stiffer and just all round amazing. If Cotic offered DT Swiss rims with hope hubs I would much rather have got them.

teethgrinder

Had some 35W as they came with the HB160. Nothing particularly wrong with them if you ride light – I think mine only have one small dent in the rear that didn’t affect sealing.

Rebuilt them as I wanted something lighter so went with DT XM481’s as the EX511’s aren’t much lighter than the 35W’s- they spin up faster definitely. I think around 100g per end lighter when using the Squorx nipples (the tool helped massively when building them). Probably going to swap them with the Tech Enduro/Pro4 on the hard tail as I’d rather have the wider rims

I also have a pair built onto Pro2’s as a spare set for the hard tail. I got those 35W second hand and they were much more dented – what was the rear was a bit trickier to set up tubeless.

z1ppy

Got some on my ebike, they’ve been great so far, though the HG freehub seems excessively noisy (rattling not pawl noise). The 30mm’s are supposed to be the tougher rim.

teethgrinder

Fortus 30 are the DH rim – they weigh literally* a ton.

* Not literally, but they are muckle heavy

dan30237

I had them spec’d on my Edit. Poor experience unfortunately, within 9 months (inc 3 month off the bike during covid last year) I had to get the rear retrued twice then replaced the rim because it was completely ruined. I’m a fairly heavy rider and generally ride reasonably demanding terrain (Lakes,Dales, NE) but I was disappointed.

I replaced with a DT Swiss Ex511 which has been faultless so far.

Based on my experience, I would not recommend and I won’t be buying a Hope rim again.

honourablegeorge

Downhill weight, plus bike width, xc strength.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I run them on my Solaris too, heavy but reliable.

dmw536
    Free Member

No idea how people are having issues with them, maybe badly built sets out there or something but mine have been bomber.
    Yes they’re not light (obviously they’re seriously wide) but mine have taken a pounding and have never had to tension them, no dents on the edges, have found one dent in the rim bed itself but still work fine.
    I’ve had them coming up for 3 years (they’re the original 35w not branded fortus but same thing), ride every week have done a month in whistler on them casing the jumps on dirt merchant and still running straight!

robowns
    Free Member

Every hope rim I’ve used has been extremely heavy and weaker than you’d expect for the weight.

Love the hubs, but no on the rims.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope Fortus 35’ is closed to new replies.