Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hope Floating Rotors for DH
  • deserter
    Free Member

yes or no on a set of v2’s on a DH bike?
    just bling or worth it? they are the same price so thats not a factor

thanks in advance
    Lee

pinches
    Free Member

apparently dissipate heat quicker because of the aluminium spider they’re mounted on.

I ran them, but can’t really tell the difference between those and normal ones

jam-bo

They make a cool noise as they cool down.

Northwind

Just bling IMO. Not even all that light, and bring with them their own interesting issues.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

on long alps runs there is a difference, with the heat dissipation but on short stuff not much.

Northwind

How can I phrase this without infuriating a Hope fanboy… If you have issues with the heat dissipation even with a big rotor, the solution isn’t fancy rotors, it’s a brake that can deal with the heat buildup better than Hopes do.

IMO 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

V2’s need the moto/v2 rotor (thicker braking surface) I thought that was only floating (or vented) anyway, didn’t know there was a Non floating version)

deserter
    Free Member

oh looking on crc it lists all the colours of floaters and just disks?????

deserter
    Free Member

203mm version and like I say they are the same price? do you think this means the non floating are the vented ones?

v2 disks

Onzadog
    Free Member

You can get a one piece rotor, a floating rotor or a vented rotor for the v2. My choice was the floating version. They look good and they give the pads something to grip on. What more does anyone need to know?

What forks and hubs are you running? Some combinations will catch the bobbins on the rotor. My fox 36 with hope EVO pro II work just fine.

vinnyeh

Not even all that light, and bring with them their own interesting issues.

what issues are those, northwind? not much point in writing that they have problems, if you don’t say what they are.

Trimix
    Free Member

On my fox forks/CK hub set-up the rivets that hold the floating rotor to the spider would not clear the tiny gap between fork leg and hub.

They really wont dissapate heat better.

Its bling, nice bling, but bling all the same.

On my racing offroad motorcycle the rotors float to take up any movement in the rotor/rim. Not to get rid of heat.

julians
    Free Member

The point of a floating rotor on any vehicle(car,bike,etc) is not to disipate heat faster,but to handle heat without warping. So if you are warping solid rotors then a switch to floaters might help, but if you’re boiling fluid or overheating pads then its unlikely to help.

Northwind

vinnyeh – Member

what issues are those, northwind? not much point in writing that they have problems, if you don’t say what they are.

Fair dos, I thought they were well covered… The rivets often become loose over time which can reduce braking effectiveness and make a bloomin orrible noise. Also, they don’t fit well with some combinations of wheels and forks- Fox 32s don’t have much rotor clearance and can come into contact, frinstance.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you have issues with the heat dissipation even with a big rotor, the solution isn’t fancy rotors, it’s a brake that can deal with the heat buildup better than Hopes do. using your brakes less.

Fixed that for you.

The rivets often become loose over time.

They really don’t. Occasionally, perhaps; but not often.

Northwind

Three_Fish – Member

They really don’t. Occasionally, perhaps; but not often.

I had 2 sets… One did it, was replaced on warranty, the replacement did it, that was replaced on warranty too, I sold them, then they both did it. So that’s 4 failures out of 2 rotors 😉 The shop that sold them said, quote, “That’s why we’ve got them discounted- we’re not going to sell these any more, they’re too much hassle since they all go wrong”. YMMV of course.

And yep, use your brakes less but I’m assuming anyone that’s trying to fix that software problem with a hardware fix has already given up on that.

deserter
    Free Member

if they’re just bling I’ll get solid ones then, bikes blingy enough as it is so I’m already going to have to improve vastly this year to stop people laughing at me, I’ve never warped a rotor so I’ll not bother

thanks
    Lee

duir
    Free Member

Hope floating rotor rivets come loose? Do they? Never heard of that before. My V2 floating rotors on my DH bike are 3 years old and in perfect working order and certainly not loose.

As for the usefulness of the floating bit I am not sure but the reason I went for them was to avoid the revolting rusting of the rotor arms I had on every single set of appalling Avid brakes I had before the v2s arrived.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’ve been using 203 floating rotors on my DH bike for about 4 years and I really rate them. You don’t get that horrible warble that you do when normal rotors start to warp (and rotors will get hot enough to warp before your fluid boils and you pads glaze, at least if you’re using M6 Ti’s), they’ve stayed true, I’ve not seen any loose rivets yet. Overall a good experience.

Would only go back to conventional rotors for DH if they were considerably cheaper.

I’ve never warped a rotor so I’ll not bother

they warp when they’re hot, they don’t normally stay warped.

Northwind

duir – Member

Hope floating rotor rivets come loose? Do they? Never heard of that before

Hope certainly had 😉

scotsman
    Free Member

203mm version and like I say they are the same price? do you think this means the non floating are the vented ones?

No the vented ones are floaters also and are around 80 quid a pop.
    If they are the same price then go for floaters, much better IMO, got hope floaters on both bikes and had no probs in 3 years.
    Edit, don’t get em from CRC tho, much cheaper else where, shop around.

deserter
    Free Member

can you point me in the right direction please, I’m going to be buying the full v2 setup for my new DH build

ps shipped to Canada{which crc are good at}

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hope Floating Rotors for DH’ is closed to new replies.