Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope evo II SP hubs – couple of questions
  • nasher
    Free Member

Cant seem to find much info, but are they available in 142 x 12 rear axle?

What are the lengths of the straight pull spokes, I take it they are either DT or Sapim?

And can you get them with the new 11speed SRAM type freehub?

Cheers

nuke

Obviously aside the spokes, they’re effectively the same as the standard evo hubs so anything you can do with the standard you can do with the sp version so yes 142×12 is certainly do-able with the right adapters…X12 conversion kit is needed

Length of spokes: what rims?

Northwind

Is this a part you already have? Honestly if you’re buying new I’d recommend just getting proper hubs, straightpull is nothing but a pain.

nuke

straightpull is nothing but a pain.

my hope pro2 sp with flows have been no trouble and spokes were fine to get hold of…certainly haven’t been a pain. Survived fine in Molini 😀

Having said that, if I was buying new, I probably wouldn’t bother…can’t see any real advantage worth paying more for

Northwind

If you’re using a rim that Hope supply, that works not too bad as they keep stock of spokes. But you’re still limited in choice- build a J-spoke wheel and you can choose pretty much any spoke ever made, and combine it with any rim, and not have to pay too much.

But as you say, the problem is mostly that there’s no convincing reason to do it so even a small drawback is enough. That said, Hope take a lot of the pain out of it, especially if you buy a full Hoop as they come with spares. Building from scratch? No ta.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Having said that, if I was buying new, I probably wouldn’t bother…can’t see any real advantage worth paying more for

Coz they look cool
    And if you snap a spoke on the sprocket side, you can easily replace it while on the trial..
    Assuming you carry a spare.

Superficial
    Free Member

No problems with my SP Evos on Flow rims. I’m running as 142 x 12.

I agree – the SP spokes are a bit of a gimmick but I’ve had no issues over 2 years so I have to conclude they’re ok. Plus, Hope include two spare spokes per wheel so hopefully I won’t run into supply problems as I have with other straight pull spokes (shimano road wheels).

My ghetto solution to the above was to straighten out a normal spoke. Seems to work just fine 😀

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Their not a gimmick on 29er wheels where they offer considerably more stiffness. On 26″ they only offer something marginal like 6% so fair to say if agree with everyone else then, though sourcing them isn’t that much of a pain at all and the two shops I’ve worked in carry good stock.

OP, you can get them with the XD freehub and in all configurations. As mentioned they have all the same bells and whistles as the standard Pro 2 Evo just different spoke attachment and that’s it.

nasher
    Free Member

Coz they look cool
    And if you snap a spoke on the sprocket side, you can easily replace it while on the trial..
    Assuming you carry a spare.

this was the main reason as removing cassettes is a pain, thinking of the stans flow rims.

They will be complete hope hoops.

Will give hope a call today.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Replacing 1 broken spoke? Normally wait until 3 have gone.

wwaswas

has anyone not on a multi-day/week ride ever replaced a spoke as a trail side repair?

I can’t imagine many (any) people carry spare spokes for a couple of hours (or even all day) mtb ride.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Their not a gimmick on 29er wheels where they offer considerably more stiffness.

ballcocks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope evo II SP hubs – couple of questions’ is closed to new replies.