Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hope EVO Crank moving side to side
  • applesandoranges23
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve been trying to install a new hope EVO Crank onto my orange five. The crank will move side to side even whilst tight.

I did think if I needed a spacer maybe but their is nothing in the instructions about a spacer or is one included with the crank.

Any suggestions?

teethgrinder

You have adjusted the non-driveside preload ring to take up the slack?

simondbarnes

applesandoranges23
    Free Member

You have adjusted the non-driveside preload ring to take up the slack?

Yeah, I’m really not sure what’s going on lol. It’s just moving side to side and I can’t seem to figure out why.ive installed countless cranks and never had this issuebut this is my first hope one.

When I start to tighten the centre 10ml bolt the crank it’s actually tight with no play, but when I tighten it so far it becomes loose again. I’m only using a allen hex and I’m definitely not near the 50 nm hope suggests.

Ah will probably just take it to the lbs tomorrow and see if they can sort it.

yiman
    Free Member

You need a drive-side spacer. Mine were the same when I forgot it swapping between bikes.

timoth27

What yinman said. Look at the link below to makes sure you are using the correct arrangement of spacers for your bb width.

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/2019EVOCranksBBCompatibility_ISS03_11.2019.pdf

applesandoranges23
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I really don’t understand why hope cannot simply state in the instructions – something like – if fitting your BB with a Evo crank please check our Evo hope BB compatibility chart. As the instructions that came with my hope BB stated only 1 spacer!

I’ve noticed similar scenarios with other hope products also.

Since I started this thread I may as well ask – is their away of getting a good estimate of 40 – 50 nm just using the 10ml hex bolt? My torquey only goes to 24 and with me only having one alloy bike I don’t really fancy splashing out on a BB torque tool.

Thanks single track to the rescue again.

applesandoranges23
    Free Member

What yinman said. Look at the link below to makes sure you are using the correct arrangement of spacers for your bb width.

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/2019EVOCranksBBCompatibility_ISS03_11.2019.pdf

Actually from the Evo,hope compatibility guide you sent it does state that my bike should only have one spacer on the ds which is how it was already setup from the bb instructions (73mm).

Hmm it’s baffling lol

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I had this on mine, I never found a solution

shite is all I can say

I could get them tight in the workstand, then after a few days there would be play side to side – hope had no answers and were pretty useless

had no idea why, I banged on some sram dub cranks and play gone

I’ve really really gone off hope stuff over the last few years, headset bearings are shite, bottom bracket bearings are shite and don’t last, very disappointed with them.

and FWIW I had my lbs setup, I double checked the spacer and needed 1 drive side, which they had done also so all setup correctly

applesandoranges23
    Free Member

I had this on mine, I never found a solution

shite is all I can say

I could get them tight in the workstand, then after a few days there would be play side to side – hope had no answers and were pretty useless

had no idea why, I banged on some sram dub cranks and play gone

I’ve really really gone off hope stuff over the last few years, headset bearings are shite, bottom bracket bearings are shite and don’t last, very disappointed with them.

and FWIW I had my lbs setup, I double checked the spacer and needed 1 drive side, which they had done also so all setup correctly.

I agree and I’m regretting buying the bloody thing. Theirs something clearly not right I’ve followed the instructions to the absalouute dot and it’s still moving from side to side.

I’d not expect this with a £200+ crank, I’m debating weather to not even bother taking it to my lbs and get it fitted because I’m having doubts if it will last.

I don’t know if we have been unlucky because I can’t seem to find others with this issue so. I have just installed a hope headset so I’ll need to see how that holds.

I could still simply put all three spacers on the crankset and get it working but with how crap hopes bearing spacers are I doubt they’d stand a sandwiching of 50nm for long. Fair enough if it was a cheap crankset but it’s far from it.

Hmm decions, I simply can’t figure out what’s causing it other than bad fitting design of the sizing.

Maybe their called hope because we need to hope it bloody works!

ogri
    Free Member

As you said,using a hex key you wont be anywhere near the recommended torque.Use a long bar and give it some welly after you slacken off the pre-load thingy.
    I recently stuck a raceface crank on my hardtail.I pinched it up with an allen then went for a spin around the block to check all was ok.When i used a long torque wrench to finish the job i was suprised how far the bolt kept tightening,so much in fact a stopped and borrowed my brothers as i thought my rarely used on was knackered.
    Hope it turns out ok after lashing out Hope crank money.

teethgrinder

With the non-Evo cranks, yes the torques are high, but they don’t torque onto the actual bearings. they torque onto the axle which is a smidge longer than needed. The preload ring is then rotated to take out the play, then locked. My non-Evo on the HB.160 have been fine and on the same bearings since Aug 2018 when I got it. Same for the hubs, headset and frame bearings. Previous Hope headset was OK from 2015-2018 without grease, also.

For Evo, the preload is exactly the same.

Also, what axle length are you using.

applesandoranges23
    Free Member

Also, what axle length are you using.

My axel is 142 x 12

Yeah I’ve just installed a hope Headset to be honest it does seem pretty dam sturdy and smooth so I’ll need to see how it holds up.

applesandoranges23
    Free Member

As you said,using a hex key you wont be anywhere near the recommended torque.Use a long bar and give it some welly after you slacken off the pre-load thingy.
    I recently stuck a raceface crank on my hardtail.I pinched it up with an allen then went for a spin around the block to check all was ok.When i used a long torque wrench to finish the job i was suprised how far the bolt kept tightening,so much in fact a stopped and borrowed my brothers as i thought my rarely used on was knackered.
    Hope it turns out ok after lashing out Hope crank money.

Thanks mate I’ll give that a go.

teethgrinder

No – the crank axle. You need 133.5mm for a 68mm BB or 133.5/142.5mm for 73mm BB. Top 2 lines of https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/2019EVOCranksBBCompatibility_ISS03_11.2019.pdf

applesandoranges23
    Free Member

No – the crank axle. You need 133.5mm for a 68mm BB or 133.5/142.5mm for 73mm BB. Top 2 lines of

I’m not entirely sure but the crank I got is a 68/73 so presumably that’s correct for a 73 shell? Still not convinced that answed your question lol

teethgrinder

It did! Then as long as you have the right spacers for your shell width it should work.

applesandoranges23
    Free Member

It did! Then as long as you have the right spacers for your shell width it should work.

Yup it should do but unfortunately does not. Oh well it’s getting returned for a XT crank I don’t know if this a issue with my particular crank or what.

But I won’t trust it now lol, thanks for your help mate.

donks
    Free Member

Ah bloody hope cranks….. Just put up a post on the other thread about this. I fitted mine on a new frame yesterday and even after I’ve done it 4 times now it’s still a massive faff. I can only move the adjustment ring about half a turn before it’s locked against the crank arm but at least there’s no play…. Just such a load of work compared to shimano and I can’t say I’ve noticed any benefits… actually had to fettle a fair bit more than with Shimano ones.

applesandoranges23
    Free Member

Ah bloody hope cranks….. Just put up a post on the other thread about this. I fitted mine on a new frame yesterday and even after I’ve done it 4 times now it’s still a massive faff. I can only move the adjustment ring about half a turn before it’s locked against the crank arm but at least there’s no play…. Just such a load of work compared to shimano and I can’t say I’ve noticed any benefits… actually had to fettle a fair bit more than with Shimano ones

Ah so theirs clearly some design faults going on with curtain Evo crank sizes. I’m done with hope, will use their hubs but that’s the only thing I’ll buy from them in the future. Really p****d me off and I returned the crank not long after my last comment on this thread waiting for refund

Ive also ditched the hope BB also which tbh I wasn’t impressed with especially for the money.

From now on I’m sticking to shim, never failed me and I should of just kept with it but lesson learnt.

Pile of purple s##t

teethgrinder

I can only move the adjustment ring about half a turn before it’s locked against the crank

You turn it towards the BB shell to adjust preload.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hope EVO Crank moving side to side’ is closed to new replies.