Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope e4 piston order
  • Stevelol
    Free Member

Howdo!

Just serviced my E4s. The front caliper pistons were numbered in this order:

1 = non tool side x2
    A1 = tool side closest to nipple
    2 = tool side furthest from nipple

The front brake has been bled and feels great.

The rear brake is spongy after 2 bleeds, first one as per hope method, second one (new to me) caliper up using a syringe.

The rear pistons were numbered like this:

Non tool side:
    2 (dunno which order)

Tool side:
    1 x2

I would have thought they’d be numbered the same, has anyone any experience of this? I’m not sure if there’s a tiny bit of weeping from around the pistons or if it’s residual silicone lube.

teethgrinder

Never noticed any numbers and just put them back in randomly whenever I’ve stripped E4’s

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, no significance to piston order, it just needs more bleeding.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Great, clear as mud Hope 🤣 thanks guys. I’ve tied the lever to the grip for tonight so hopefully it’ll just need topping up tomorrow 🤦‍♂️ I always struggle with getting a solid feel on the rear, any tips?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are you just pushing fluid in with the syringe, or sucking air out as well?

ceept

If you haven’t, take it off the bike & move it around when bleeding to make sure all air rises to the bleed nipple at the top.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Just pushing, I don’t know how to suck 🤗

Stevelol
    Free Member

Rebled the rear and it feels good now, no air or bubbles came out but the oil was low when I took the reservoir cap off, even though it was full when I bled them earlier. The lever felt really solid when bleeding them just now after pumping almost a full easy bleed funnel of oil through. So I’m not sure what was wrong before.

bigyan
    Free Member

Bleed nipple should be highest point on the caliper during bleeding, a lot of bikes the bleed nipple points down and air is trapped in the caliper above the bleed nipple.

Common to have to let the caliper go from the frame (or stand the bike vertical etc)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope e4 piston order’ is closed to new replies.