Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Hope Cranks
  • alpineharry
    Free Member

I was looking into a pair and wondering if you require a different BB to run them? I know you’ll get the tools included but not sure which BB i’d need or any alternatives to the hope one?

Also, those of you who have them, are the worth the price? Are they that beneficial or worth it over other cranks? Or is money better invested elsewhere?

Harry

philxx1975
    Free Member

They are extortion

220 for a crank and spanner
    80 quid for a BB
    40-60 for1 ring

XT 99 quid jobdone from evans

Had the same dilemma before xmas

kimbers

Can anyone justify anything other than SLX cranks?
    Can be had for 60 quid, weigh same as xt/x9
    Polished outside bits mean they wear better than most cranks and they are as stiff as you like
    you’ve generally gotta spend at least another 100quid to get anything lighter, or in the case of hope for something heavier!

sharkattack

Pros:
    Look nice

Cons:
    Heavy
    Expensive
    Complicated

I’m going to stay on my SLX’s until they disintegrate. Then probably buy the same again.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

This thread isn’t going the way the OP thought it would.

I wouldn’t pay that kind of money either….Just to join in…….. 😀

iain1775
    Free Member

Pro – British
    Con – everything else

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Can anyone justify anything other than SLX cranks?

Minor limitations on chainring size. Couldn’t run the chainring I wanted on SLX, only XT…..

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would buy them if I didn’t have race face sixC. They look good and are made by hope which is good enough for me.

spectabilis
    Free Member

If you’re considering them get them, you’ll be pleased with them I’m sure.
    Although it’s doubtful you’ll notice any performance benefits over any run of the mill cranks,they are a real nice bit of kit.
    They have a great install method making for a good solid feel.
    I don’t own a set but have installed a few and a close friend runs a set on his Switchback, he’s a hefty chap but they’ve been rock solid.
    I’d buy them, but then I’d buy nearly anything over Shimano.

cardo

If you can afford them and like them .. Buy them.
    Yes they are expensive but quality British production , excellent Hope warranty and you don’t see many about.
    Regarding BB you would need a 30 mm ID which Hope produce.
    It’s your bike and your money.

chiefgrooveguru

They look very nicely made and well thought out but the combo of Shimano cranks and Hope BB just works so well for me – I recently switched a Hope bottom bracket to its third frame, still on the original bearings, done over 4000 off-road miles in all weathers. I’d have been tempted if I didn’t already have a set of SLX cranks to use, I like supporting a British business that cares about making high quality, durable and serviceable products.

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

I was recently in the market for a 1x crankset and after considering the alternatives I ended up with a set. Similar to Middleburn x types but with more of an AM feel . They use a 30mm version of the normal 24mm hope bottom bracket. There is some thoughtful engineering in the design. I think they will be a good longterm bet.

swanny853

If I was spending more than slx/xt sort of money on cranks, and I have been considering it, I would probably be looking at the raceface ones. Specifically I’d probably be looking at the next SL, at least then I’d feel I was getting less (weight) for my money.

Raceface in general seem to have similar issues with 30mm axle compatibility and expense but have more widely available direct mount chainrings, the same spider options and don’t weigh a ton.

I really liked the look of the hope pre release too, I just can’t see a reason to buy them beyond being pretty and ‘buy british’.

chestrockwell

Same as the brakes for me. They don’t do the job any better in real terms than Shimano xt or slx but where as Shimano are white goods the Hope will be just lovely to own. If the price difference is worth it to you then go for it.

I have Shimano kit atm but would not hesitate to replace it with Hope if/when funds allow.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 can’t see past XT+oval NW ring myself. Still lust after some sixCs though

chakaping
    Free Member

They look good and are made by hope which is good enough for me.

And for many others, I’ve noticed.

I’ll stick with SLX though – cranks are a consumable item IMO, being in harm’s way like they are.

rickmeister

If Audi did cranks…

People would still be be shouting “Octavia… ”

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I don’t even think they look nice

Northwind

Made in britain is nice but it’s no reason to buy something so expensive and unimpressive tbh. For every job there’s a Shimano or a Raceface that costs less. But they know their target market…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

They look lovely but are too expensive. I’ve already got a Bb from hope so its a shame their new cranks won fit.

As I was in the market for new cranks a few weeks before an Alp holiday, the availability of spares and French bike mechanic know how also put me off and I didn’t really want to ride around with a specific hope tool clattering around in my bag.

PJM1974
    Free Member

They are a thing of beauty, but TBH they’re not 3x as good as XT…which is where my money has gone and probably will continue to go if I want 1×11.

kimbers

hey’re not 3x as good as XT

But xt aren’t 40quid better than SLX, so why buy them?

poah
    Free Member

slx don’t come in 165mm so yes they are £40 better 😉

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I think they’re gopping, they look like scuffed budget raceface cranks. Not a chance in hell, a crank’s a crank and shimano are so damn good at a low cost and good looks (plus they last forever) I’d never consider the Hopes.

PJM1974
    Free Member

1×11

mattbee

I have RF Next SL. Wife has Hope. The Hope look badass in s chunky ‘Hope’ way. If I didn’t have the pimpy RF I’d have Hope too.
    Better than SLX? Probably not but I can afford them so why the **** not?

zero-cool
    Free Member

According to the Mojo Geometron webpage the Hope 170mm cranks have the same clearance as 165 XTRs and they look nicer (I don’t like the look of the last few generations of XTR cranks). So the 165mm cranks would give even better clearance.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member
    1×11

Assume that’s a joke? 🙂

russyh
    Free Member

I was going to order a set, until I started looking at the additional cost of new BB, chain rings etc. I the end I opted for race face aefect, which were great value and a lovely set of cranks. Oh and run 24mm spindle so standard bb type!

honourablegeorge

zero cool – Member
    According to the Mojo Geometron webpage the Hope 170mm cranks have the same clearance as 165 XTRs and they look nicer (I don’t like the look of the last few generations of XTR cranks). So the 165mm cranks would give even better clearance.

The only place there’s extra clearance is the tip of the crank arm. .. you rarely strike that, it’s the 0edal that makes contact.

I reckon Raceface Aeffect are the bargain of the moment. Use a standard 24mm BB, and I just got a set including 32t direct mount ring from Alltricks for 115 Euro

jam-bo

The only place there’s extra clearance is th ed tip of the crank arm. .. you rarely strike that, it’s the 0edal that

The ends of my cranks tell a different story. I’m trying to wear them down to 170mm…

zero-cool
    Free Member

The ends of my cranks aren’t black and smooth anymore. And if you don’t whack them on things why sell crank boots for carbon cranks?

Tom KP

chestrockwell

I crunch the end of my cranks far more often than the pedals. This is a good thing.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    I think they’re gopping, they look like scuffed budget raceface cranks.

That’s just what I thought. THey look like a knackered set of those old Diabolous cranks.

The silver ones aren’t too bad.

Middleburns look far better.

wrecker
    Free Member

They look nice, probably last Ok and will have decent back up. There again, XT look nice, last Ok and have decent back up.
    I want to want them but with all of the (not-included) bits you need to buy, it’s a big bag of nope from me due to a large shortage of value.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’d buy them if they were available in 140mm, for my 5foot wife*.

restricting themselves to exactly the same non-range as shimano seems a bit daft.

(*who’s refusing to ride her new mtb till it has 140’s just like her hybrid)

sprocker
    Free Member

Recent review in WMB was not that great on them saying they are not particularly stiff and when combined with cost it makes them not a great option. Not sure how much weight I put into the review but the XT s on my bike are my oldest piece of kit and for the money are great, do run hope brakes though and never got on with shimano offerings. I am a bit behind as still on 1×10.

longbeardranger
    Free Member

I generally like Hope products (for example, on my current bike I have Hope wheels (albeit with Stans rims), Hope stem, seat collar and pedals, and a Hope NW chainring). I also have Hope lights. I’ve been very happy with all of these, though of course I do accept there are some very good alternative options – no doubt better in some cases.

But I just can’t get the logic behind buying these cranks. I want to like them – they look nice, and I’m sure they’ll do a more than adequate job, but they are really expensive, would require a new and expensive BB (for me anyway), and don’t seem to be lighter or have materially better performance than the competition. It’d end up being a cost of c£300 to get something that really isn’t much, if at all, better. (A little extra ground clearance might be significant, I suppose.)

That said – if you like them, and have the money, there’s no reason not to, after all, buying bits for our bikes is at least as much about pride of possession as it is about function and performance/value for money.

Summary – I really wanted to like these but just can’t get my head round a scenario where I could actually see myself buying them.

woodster

The big negative for me aside from the cost is the lack of decent rings available. No oval direct mount rings and using the spider to get them to 104 seems to defeat the point.

I use the Hope 30mm BB with a Turbine Cinch I bought barely used off here for £50. Don’t feel like I’m missing out.

They do look pretty pimp though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Hope Cranks’ is closed to new replies.