Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope Caliper Servicing: Removing Cracked Piston?
  • balfa
    Free Member

I’m trying to fix a old Hope mono mini. The inside piston has cracked so I am trying to remove and replace it. As the piston has cracked, pumping the lever or using a track pump to remove the piston does not work as air/fluid leaks out the crack. Has anyone an idea how to remove the piston?

simon1975

Plastic piston? Can you break it out in two halves (carefully with a sharp instrument without scratching the bore? Maybe drill it a bit to get it moving, but be very careful.

Or send it to Hope. You might even get a freebie.

Speshpaul

Drill a hole in it and hook it out

wwaswas

gaffer tape over piston face to hold the air/oil in as you pump?

balfa
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Its not a phenolic one. I guess I could remove the outside piston, then drill very carefully. Not sure if there will be enough space to hook it from the back but sounds like an option. The drilling Sounds a little delicate for my ham fists mind 🙂

simon1975

Send it to Hope. You’ll have it back for the weekend!

Milkie
    Free Member

Glue the Piston to something so you can pull it out.

alanf
    Free Member

I Found a large torq key fitted snuggly in the pistons enough to get some purchase to pull them out. As its cracked you can mash it up a bit, just don’t damage the cylinder bore.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Small hole drilled in piston, then try and screw a wood screw in there, then pull the woodscrew with the piston bit out?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope Caliper Servicing: Removing Cracked Piston?’ is closed to new replies.