Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope brake mount shenanigans
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

Hi, just had endless fannying about with mounting my old M4’s on the rear of my nukeproof scout.

Tried a brake mount L and now K but the only fit that gets the pads covering the rotor is just to directly mount on the post holes, as per photo.

I didn’t know this was possible and seems dodgy. The rotor is well up into the pad, so much so that I might have to stick some washers just to give it a teeny bit more space. But that just seems too bodgy. I’ve had enough of doing anything bodgey with brakes as it always ends badly

I don’t want to ruin the calliper and it just seems weird to direct mount a calliper? Has anyone else done this?

benpinnick

Totally normal. Your bike will be sized for a certain direct fit (160mm rotor most likely) and only if you want to go up from there do you need adaptors.

smokey_jo

yup totally normal – got 180 direct fit on my Commencal

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyan
    Free Member

If the frame is post 180 and your are running a 180 disc the caliper will mount straight on the frame.

Same if 160-160.

If its a 160 frame with a 180 disc you would need a 160-180 post-post adapter etc.

Running a 183 or 185 disc on a 180 frame could require some spacing with washers.

fingerbang
    Free Member

cheers for the answers, I spose you can direct mount on forks. I’ve always had bigger rotors then the intended use for the frame – until now

honourablegeorge

That looks like a hope rotor, which often come in 183 – if so, for a 180 post mount you may well need some washers to manage the extra 1.5mm radius

fingerbang
    Free Member

That looks like a hope rotor, which often come in 183 – if so, for a 180 post mount you may well need some washers to manage the extra 1.5mm radius

thanks, its a 160mm rotor so we’re good to go. my original question was a bit stupid as I realise I’ve fitted rear brakes on DH bikes directly. Just being daft. Sorry! and thanks for your time.

twrch
    Free Member

If it helps, I’m currently using washers (one per bolt) to space a Hope caliper to the disc. I measured them with calipers first, to check they were the same thickness. It’s probably not ideal, as washers aren’t very flat, but I’m not dead yet.

thols2

Needing a washer or two under the caliper isn’t unusual.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Yep, as above, depending on how the caliper is designed to fit you may need additional washers under it anyway.

Bitd avid calipers were designed for the cps washers to be under the mounting as well as over so bolting direct to a post mount fork without them would mean you’d have had spacing (eg) for a 150mm rotor.

nixie

With a 160mm rotor then direct mount is correct.

Hope switched to 180/200 etc as preferred a while back but still make the imperial sizes and mounts.

endomick
    Free Member

I thought only xc guys ran 160mm these days 🙂

thols2

I thought only xc guys ran 160mm these days

Whatever happened to to running 140s on the back and 160s on the front, with aluminium rotors with three bolts removed to save weight?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope brake mount shenanigans’ is closed to new replies.