Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 706 total)
  • Hope brake fanbois, you won’t want these
  • crossed

@ratherbeintobago

I emailed Hope last week asking about swapping from a flat mount to post mount X2 caliper. Their reply was that the calipers are all the same so the Tech 4 levers should work ok with the X2 caliper.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

is anyone running a wolf tooth dropper remote lever with the tech 4 levers yet,
    if so, what mount option are you using,
    i’ve got a drilled hope mount on my current tech3 (generation 2 levers)

does that fit the tech 4’s, i’ve read shimano EV work, but my google skills dont seem to be hitting that comment today.
    i messaged wolftooth, so will update if no one comments.

ratherbeintobago

@crossed – ta! New brakes have been on the cards for a while as they’re mismatched (one Tech which is older than my 12yo and one Tech Evo…)

appltn

@oscillatewildly

i have a quick one for anyone whose had them back from hope fixed with seals/pistons etc, do they come back already bled???

Yes, my set came back bled and ready to go. I reckon you’ll probably get new pads too.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

appltn
    @oscillatewildly

i have a quick one for anyone whose had them back from hope fixed with seals/pistons etc, do they come back already bled???

Yes, my set came back bled and ready to go. I reckon you’ll probably get new pads too

ahh thank you mate, awesome stuff means can get straight out for a ride tomoz 🙌🏻 thank you be nice if I got some new pads too as they were pretty much bare 😬

ta11pau1

Mines came back ready to fit, I didn’t get new pads but they docs said it had a caliper service done.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member
    if so, what mount option are you using,
    i’ve got a drilled hope mount on my current tech3 (generation 2 levers)

does that fit the tech 4’s, i’ve read shimano EV work, but my google skills dont seem to be hitting that comment today.
    i messaged wolftooth, so will update if no one comments

Doesn’t exist yet for hope tech4 e4/v4 with a direct mount to a WT remote, they are in her process of making one though, at moment I’m just running a stand-alone mount which in some ways offers better adjustment, but just doesn’t look as clean

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ta11pau1
    Mines came back ready to fit, I didn’t get new pads but they docs said it had a caliper service done

ace thanks fingers crossed it will be bled then, also did you send your pads in with the brakes? I guess if you didn’t send them in they might not send new ones back out, mine were pretty worn and I just sent the whole thing in with pads/bolt etc

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

thanks @oscillatewildly, went for a coloured one so got the 22.2mm clamp as standard, had planned to sell the clamp and buy the part so will hold off till they launch. yet to buy the bike and it’ll come with a basic dropper lever .

wonder if hope will ever (i) release a dropper lever, they’d clean up and (ii) release some new colours, i miss the gunsmoke.
    be interesting to see how burgtec’s Green anodisation works out,

ta11pau1

ace thanks fingers crossed it will be bled then, also did you send your pads in with the brakes? I guess if you didn’t send them in they might not send new ones back out, mine were pretty worn and I just sent the whole thing in with pads/bolt etc

Yeah, same – I sent mine with pads etc in, tbh they’re only a couple of hundred km old so no need to replace. The green pads are easy to sand down to get rid of any issues though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member
    thanks @oscillatewildly, went for a coloured one so got the 22.2mm clamp as standard, had planned to sell the clamp and buy the part so will hold off till they launch. yet to buy the bike and it’ll come with a basic dropper lever .

wonder if hope will ever (i) release a dropper lever, they’d clean up and (ii) release some new colours, i miss the gunsmoke.
    be interesting to see how burgtec’s Green anodisation works out,

no worries i asked the same question about 5-6 pages back but its impossible find stuff on this forum lol – yeah defo in the works, they have a mount for the tech 3 e4, but not the new tech 4 e4 so its on its way, ill probably get it for aesthetics alone but im more than happy with the standalone position I’ve got it at now, like said in some ways it really doesnt limit you with adjustment like a matchmaker one does

i think hope did have one in the pipeline (unless ive just imagined that), but its never come to fruition, the WT is by far the best lever ive used though, its so so smooth on my fox transfer so dont think id ever both swapping this one out unless it just wasnt compatible with a new dropper post in the future

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ta11pau1

Yeah, same – I sent mine with pads etc in, tbh they’re only a couple of hundred km old so no need to replace. The green pads are easy to sand down to get rid of any issues though.

ah right fair enough, i wasnt expecting any new ones, maybe theyll take pity and see they are almost worn and put some new ones in but wont hold my hopes up for it!

ps did you manage to get back out yet and test the noise level?!

ta11pau1

Yeah mine are fine at the moment, only got out for an hour though. It’ll take time for any issues to show up, it was only after a few rides I saw any noise.

I’ll be trying to get out regularly over the next few weeks though, as I’ve got 2 weeks of fairly solid riding in Scotland in 4 weeks time, I’d rather not have to replace seals mid-trip!

dyna-ti

Not sounding good all these issues, I hope they sort it out because its a lot of money to spend and brakes are the most important part of riding
    I think I’m glad i just went for the levers alone to pair with the Tech 3 V4 calipers. Might not have the fancy pistons, but at least they work.

Bad form Hope. Never thought I’d hear myself saying that 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ta11pau1
    Yeah mine are fine at the moment, only got out for an hour though. It’ll take time for any issues to show up, it was only after a few rides I saw any noise.

I’ll be trying to get out regularly over the next few weeks though, as I’ve got 2 weeks of fairly solid riding in Scotland in 4 weeks time, I’d rather not have to replace seals mid-trip!

fair point yes, i dont remember mine being noisy outback when i got them, although it was end of summer so not much water about i guess, time will tell hopefully as he’s said mines wasnt showing any signs of leaking it was just weird coincidence (with the silicone lube i guess) and some other reason why it howls in the cold/wet but the front doesn’t, shall see ive got some new rotors now too so hopefully that will clear it or ill only start riding in the dry lol

ta11pau1

Looking back at my pictures of my rotor, you can clearly see the contamination but it looks like the whole disc has been covered in something grey and oily, but only one side – the side which is facing forwards when the car is mounted on my towbar rack. So, there’s a possibility it wasn’t the pistons at all, instead I drove through some oil dumped on the road by a car, but only on that side of the car (as the rear disc is fine). The noise did start at the start of one 1 night ride where I have to drive 45 mins to get to it, and got worse on the following weeks ride.

Affected side of the disc

Other side of the disc

See the grey stuff on the silver part of the disc below where the pads contact but above the floating spider…

fathomer

For what it’s worth, we’ve got 3 sets of E4s between me and the good lady and, touch wood, haven’t had any issues. The newest was fitted in October/November and ridden weekly since then.

dyna-ti

Well I dont know how other folk brake, but I ,when wet pull slightly on the levers to bring the pads into the rotor so it scrubs off any moisture and gets a bit heat in them if I am intending to slow or stop.
    If its wet and i just pull on thee brake, it lets out a scream, but bringing the pads in for a few seconds seems to prevent that for the most part.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

@tallpaul – could well be coincidence – i’m unsure what i think tbh with mine, i dont get even if its just silicone why there would be bubbles escaping the piston? surely this means there IS a leak somewhere regardless of whether its lube or oil….i could be totally wrong as i dont know the ins and outs of how they work, but assumed its a closed circuit and no air bubbles should be leaving or entering a brake system….happy to be corrected though!

will report back when i get it, its out for delivery today, so literally got there yesterday and back to me today, incredible service i must say, and super helpful, so it hasnt put me off as they are the best feeling brakes ive had, hopefully it was some other reason why my rear brake howled, but ive got a new rotor now (2mm thick feels great on the front too, defo more bite/feel), and will just run them, guess if its still squealing in the wet/cold its just how it is and ill switch off from it as it wont be a issue through summer – other than this they have been spot on, id not hesitate to have another set

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well ive got it back – again superb service! no new brake pads – boooooo :/ only messing wasnt expecting any in reality

worksheet states no problems found but seals/pistons replaced

ive just had a good go with them at work pushing and pressing pistons/levers, and theres absolutely zero lube/oil or bubbles coming out of any of the 4 piston areas now, so if theyve just been freshly lubed with silicone too kinda means that theorys out the window when i spotted it was lube….

theres zero anything coming out, and its much more easier to spot as i can get them right by my eye in the light not covered in mud, they just seem solid and nothing else to report, so something theyve done has stopped that bubbles/fluid…..who knows, still great service, im still not convinced it wasnt oil tbh but ill roll with it

breadcrumb

I’m a few rides in now and very impressed. Went up and down Skiddaw on the main bridleway with testing the brakes being in mind. Both felt great, rear firmed very slightly but given how much it was dragged understandable. Noticeably less arm fatigue thanks to the lighter action needed. T4 V4 on 200mm HD rotors.

dyna-ti

im still not convinced it wasnt oil tbh but ill roll with it

Could always have tasted it. Hydraulic fluid is harsh on the tongue*, a bit like aldi red wine, silicon doesn’t really taste of anything.

* Obviously im not suggesting you suck it out the hose, just wipe the finger on the caliper and taste that.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

dyna-ti
    im still not convinced it wasnt oil tbh but ill roll with it

Could always have tasted it. Hydraulic fluid is harsh on the tongue*, a bit like aldi red wine, silicon doesn’t really taste of anything.

* Obviously im not suggesting you suck it out the hose, just wipe the finger on the caliper and taste that.

ha! if it happens again ill try it – fingers crossed i dont need to do the oil taste test!

CalamityJames
    Free Member

if so, what mount option are you using, i’ve got a drilled hope mount on my current tech3 (generation 2 levers)

I have managed to get my Wolf Tooth lever attached directly to my Tech 4 lever. It’s very close to the lever clamp and does away with one of the parts – basically bolt the dropper lever straight on to the brake clamp. As such it’s ‘shallow’ against the bars but I’m used to it now. Not ideal but keeps the bars clean. Will try and get a picture.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well went out for a ride last night, in what can only be described as biblical conditions 🙁

great for testing the howling noise, as before one drop of rain/wet set it off, pleased to report (using same pads) that it was absolutely silent through the ride, in wet/mud/tonnes of rain and it didnt make a sound once

now this is with a new sram hs2 rotor so not exactly using my old disc that howled (but same pads at least), so can only assume it had leaked oil on it from the caliper, i checked the pistons after the ride, and theres no bubbling or anything anymore, so i do think regardless of what was stated by hope they were seeping oil out slowly

anyways, so far so good and a quiet rear brake!

however, it did come back a little bit squishier than im used to, is there a quick fix?? can i just top up the lever reservoir fluid and pump to see if any small air comes out? or do i need to do a full bleed?

drdexx
    Free Member

Re: The wolf tooth remote, I’m doing the same as CalamityJames, using an ispec EV remote, just pop the little squarish/curved nut in the brake lever clamp and attach the remote with the bolt. Not really any adjustability, but it works and my thumb can/will get used to it.

I did even try using the hope LH adapter for Shimano, but the remote doesn’t want to fit work with that.

ta11pau1

however, it did come back a little bit squishier than im used to, is there a quick fix?? can i just top up the lever reservoir fluid and pump to see if any small air comes out? or do i need to do a full bleed?

Probably just needs the pistons aligning correctly, it should have been perfectly bled. Although might be worth doing a quick bleed too, with the hope bleed pot it’s dead easy.

Remote wise I’m using the OneUp V3 lever on the matchmaker adapter and it’s awesome. Very short and light lever action.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Mine came back supposedly bled but had lots of air in them so I’d recommend a bleed .

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

thanks @CalamityJames @drdexx @oscillatewildly

got a reply back from WT,
    “We do not have plans to introduce a Hope Tech 4 conversion kit for the current ReMote” but …..

the marketing team are launching something in 4 weeks time.. cant say more than that.

better not be a new bloody remote. :0)

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Hope remote imminent just check the handlebars of the sponsored riders …Joe Barnes fergie etc even Brayton had one

teethgrinder

Dropper lever was shown on the hb130 when it was released. Imminent is a bit eternity.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Just bled the back brake using the easy bleed kit, jeeeez probably the easiest brake bleed I’ve ever done! I kept thinking there’s got to be more to it than this….the srams have always been fairly easy once you get used to the process, but literally nothing to it at all other than open bleed port pump and close bleed port a few times, used a bleed block so no air bubbles trapped behind the pistons this way, not sure why they don’t do it with a bleed block in the videos unless I’m missing something? I must have done it right as a fair few bubbles came out, and it’s now much much firmer than last night, feels identical to my front at least now!

Bugger I hope WT aren’t dropping a new lever, I’ve only just bought one thinking they’d do a matchmaker for the tech 4… seems it will just be completely replaced, I’m not too sure how the hell they could improve the WG LA remote tbh?!

Yeah the hope one has been on the radar for a long time, maybe it will come out later this year

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ta11pau1

Probably just needs the pistons aligning correctly, it should have been perfectly bled. Although might be worth doing a quick bleed too, with the hope bleed pot it’s dead easy.

Remote wise I’m using the OneUp V3 lever on the matchmaker adapter and it’s awesome. Very short and light lever action

Are you using this lever on a one up post? Is it a big improvement over the old lever? I hated the old lever it felt really stiff and hard to depress, must say I’m tempted swap to a 240mm one up and get the new lever if it’s much improved

teethgrinder

The OneUp v3 lever is lovely

ta11pau1

Are you using this lever on a one up post? Is it a big improvement over the old lever? I hated the old lever it felt really stiff and hard to depress, must say I’m tempted swap to a 240mm one up and get the new lever if it’s much improved

Never had the old OneUp lever, I went from the bontrager line elite to the OneUp V3. Really nice short throw and it’s got a nice light action. That’s on a 240mm one up.

The bontrager lever and brand X post on my hardtail feel like they need about 3 inches of movement compare to the OneUp lever!

And it lines up well with the tech 4 levers for tidy looking cables.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Thanks @ta11pau1 interesting getting more and more tempted try the one up again especially if the new levers good with a short throw, that’s what I love about the WT it’s just got a smooth short throw on it, would like to try a one up again at some point in 240mm anyways wrong thread for this but thanks 👍

As for the bleeding process with hope does everyone else use a bleed block with the pistons pushed fully back then start? Always the way I’ve done other brakes, but weirdly the hope videos they leave the pads in, I guess it doesn’t matter as it feels good just more interested as it was so damn easy

razorrazoo

I’ve bled my T4s with the pads in, carefully obvs but with the Hope kit it’s easy not to spill fluid at the calliper end.

ta11pau1

As for the bleeding process with hope does everyone else use a bleed block with the pistons pushed fully back then start? Always the way I’ve done other brakes, but weirdly the hope videos they leave the pads in, I guess it doesn’t matter as it feels good just more interested as it was so damn easy

I bleed with a block in but only because I like to keep pressure on the lever when opening and closing the bleed nipple, to stop any air being sucked back, but if you don’t put pressure on the lever you can just push the pistons back in afterwards.

keefezza
    Free Member

I’m 99% likely to be buying myself these soon. Where’s best to get them from as a full package?
    Are they normally suited to 200mm rotors?

Currently running guide RE’s on the rocketmax and a surprise bonus from work means I can finally get some hopes.

sharkattack

I got mine from Start Fitness. They were the cheapest I could find and I signed up for a discount code.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 706 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.