Hope braided hoses and fittings question

Home Forum Bike Forum Hope braided hoses and fittings question

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope braided hoses and fittings question
  • Premier Icon simon1975
    Subscriber

I think you can re-use everything if you’re careful. Maybe new olives, although I’m pretty sure I’ve managed to re-use them before too. Goodridge hose can be bought by the metre at CRC. You might need to trim off the outer plastic layer to expose the braid before fitting the olives.

Plenty of useful videos on the Hope website to show you how to shorten a hose (same principles) and re-bleed the system.

I shortened the braided hose on my X2’s. Definitely worth getting new olives in case you mash one during the fitting. Trim off the outer plastic cover to expose the braid and open the olive up a bit so it slips over the braid. A little fiddly but not a big deal

nodrog2

Inserts and olives (you’ll probably need new olives) are the same. You’ll also need some good cutters, a nice sharp blade and some patients to get the olives on the braided hose. A straight forward enough job though.

Zoolander

Morning

I need to give my tech m4s a bleed and was thinking of upgrading the hoses to the braided ones at the same time. I’ve seen the kits that come with everything but at circa £26 for each brake they ain’t cheap. I’ve also seen that you can just buy the outers for £8 per metre and I’m sure I read somewhere that the fittings are all reusable for these brakes. Can anyone confirm if that’s the case? Would certainly be a much cheaper option.
    Also any tips on fitting them as I’ve heard the braided hoses are a tad fiddly.

Cheers

Zoolander

Nice one – thanks all.

Premier Icon cardo
    Subscriber

I’ve done this job and everything is re-usable … except the shroud that slides over the hose and tightens the olive against the fitting… the normal tube is 5mm the braided hose is 6mm you can get them off ebay for £2.50 us the link below….
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hope-6mm-Braided-Hose-Connector-Stainless-Steel-/350279907994?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item518e4f3a9a#ht_500wt_1127
    Good luck and mind your fingers also a good set of cable cutters is essential.

nodrog2

What cardo says about the shrouds, forgot about that bit.

Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

I did mine and I’m an average tinkerer.

Got these cutters, which are excellent.

http://www.toolsdiy.co.uk/shop/view/hand-tools/wire-rope-cutter/

Premier Icon cardo
    Subscriber

Before doing any cutting and dismantling then .. check the shroud size…the standard one (for black plastic hose) is 5mm the braided hose is 6mm .. thats all mate. 🙂

ScottChegg

cardo – that used to be the case, but hope hoses are all one size now. Black or braided, all fittings are the same.

Premier Icon cardo
    Subscriber

ahh right .. sorry guys didn’t realise… 😳 the one I swapped must have been an older brake unit… I stand corrected my mistake. 😉

Premier Icon billyboy
    Subscriber

Braided……….WHY?

loads of fiddle……….WHY?

Looks?

Fair enough!

But WHY else?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Aye- are you actually trying to fix a problem?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope braided hoses and fittings question’ is closed to new replies.