Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hope bottom bracket – worth the extra coin?
  • dizcostix
    Free Member

After buying some faceface diabolus cranks 3 years ago, i've ended up routinely replacing my BB every 6-9 months with the raceface gold ones.

Last time (3 months ago) I tried a superstar £20 one – and that's just seized 🙁

Are the hope bbs worth the extra cost over the RF and superstar?

Megatron

Yes, I think so.
    Mine has lasted 18 months, and is just now in need of a new set of bearings…

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

my XT hollowtech lasted me 8 months of regular peaks riding – i just cleaned and regreased every so often.

dizcostix
    Free Member

Megatron – are you using the stainless steel bearings or ceramic?

DezB
    Free Member

XT: £27 @JE James

twinklydave

Yes, my SS version has just done it's 2nd strathpuffer (with a season of 24hr, enduro and xc racing in between) and is as smooth as the day it was first fitted.

No special treatment, just cleaned along with the rest of the bike. Ace.

terrahawk
    Free Member

my ceramic ones seem to be doing ok

Chevin
    Free Member

+1 Ceramic about 18 months old, perfect.

thomthumb
    Free Member

HTII?

the trick to a long life is regular greasing. I'd recomend having a spare and regreasing/ swapping them every 4-6 weeks. I did this last year and they lasted ages. stopped doing it and they've all worn out quickly!!

whyter

XT also £27 at CRC. The new XT ones are much better sealed than the 1st generation ones, IME.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

if you only ride twice a year then i'd just get a superstar one for 20 notes innit. 8)

TheGreatStonk
    Free Member

i think the problem you may be having is due to the cranks, i used to have a set of deus cranks that ate BB's for breakfaast.

the trick with race face setups is that the BB has to be perfectly faced, and you have to make sure your using the correct number of nylon washers on the crank axle. Personally i was cheap, and tried removing a washer to stop the bearings from being squeezed.

2 years later the BB is still going… although admitedly it was switched over to an xt crankset just before xmas… but still, check your not side loding your bearings when you install reinstlal the crank on a new BB.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

on a erious note spraying gt85/wd40 into the seals dunt help, as it disperses the grease and **** up the bearings quick time.

dizcostix
    Free Member

if you only ride twice a year then i'd just get a superstar one for 20 notes innit.

Not that much use to me as I'm on the bike most weekends.

You're not speaking from experience are you? 😉

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

ha ha, on the bike – what, the Ninja!? 😆

i'll leave you alone now mate, i really should do some work.

johnny should be on the rune next weekend if you fancy it – you can kip at mine sat night if you want

laterz

dizcostix
    Free Member

on a erious note spraying gt85/wd40 into the seals dunt help, as it disperses the grease and **** up the bearings quick time.

I already knew that, I've got a mate who sprayed his pivot bearings with GT85 after every ride. Needless to say he learnt the hard way.

edsbike
    Free Member

Mine's still really smooth after 8 months of Peaks grit. But I do take the cranks off and clean/regrease it perhaps every 4th ride or so.

But remember that once you've got it, new bearings are cheaper than a new XT BB.

giantjason
    Free Member

mine was going well but has recently developed a grinding/squeaking noise after commuting in the bad weather this last couple of weeks. seems the road salt has got in places it shouldnt. hopefully a clean and lube should sort it out.

Kuco

Got a SS one and think it's worth it.

Megatron

dizcostix I'm using the stainless steel one – its only just gone, with a bit of grit in the non-drive side, the drive side is still fine.

it's been on a singlespeed with xt cranks if that's any use??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hope bottom bracket – worth the extra coin?’ is closed to new replies.