Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope bottom bracket, gxp adapters
  • sam1988
    Free Member

Have a gxp crankset which I would like to upgrade the bottom bracket on. I’m a big hope ran so instantly looked into these. I found a few reviews on retailers site that people claim they are poor fit and put so much pressure on the bearings?

Sure people on here much be using the above, any real life reviews?

Another option is a uberbike which I’ve ran on my other bike for a few months, that used a plastic adaptor and seems ok

Tracey

Have both the Hope and the Uberbike for GXP and haven’t found a problem with either. Saying that got a couple of SRAM ones that are still going strong after two years years.

orangespyderman

I have been using the Hope ones with GXP for a couple of years on my Jeffsy. Nothing really to say about them, which is a good thing…

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve got hope BB with GXP adapters. Bearings lasted about 18 months which was much longer than the usual GXP ones.

For the cost of replacement hope bearings I just bought another GXP bottom bracket for significantly cheaper and less hassle.

Unless anyone can tell me how to easily remove the adapters to allow the bearings to be changed…

greyspoke
    Free Member

Unfortunately r8 you need to file/dremel a couple of notches in one of the adapters before you fit it, so you can get a screwdriver in to knock the other one out. So not much use if you have already fitted them. Like I have 🙁 probably with careful work this could be done while they are installed?

They work well, but I think only for Hope BBS as they compress the seal, which is fine for the Hope external seals which are made out of hard plastic, but might not be so good for more rubbery seals. Maybe that is where the negative comments come from, peeps using them on non-Hope BBs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

To get them off the hope bearings, first drift the bearing out with a big socket, or broom handle, then prise off the plastic seal (replace them, they’re pence) then you’ve got a 1mm gap to get a screwdriver in and work the outer part off the bearing.

Then next time file a small notch on one of them so you can get a drift to the other.

Longevity wise, theyre the only ones ive found that survive on the fat bike.

13thfloormonk

Am using an SRAM GXP crankset with Hope BB and adapters.

Only complaint is that the cranks no longer spin very freely in the workstand, possibly and issue with seals or something. Don’t notice it when riding, but is incentive to get rid of GXP cranks eventually.

Funny how I always end up working towards an SRAM free bike…

submarined
    Free Member

Hope one here, no issues at all, faultless.
    Uberbike one was arse. Tolerances were way out so overloaded the bearings and killed them super quick.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Only complaint is that the cranks no longer spin very freely in the workstand,

That’s not an indication of anything wrong. Seals drag, the only bottom brackets that spin forever in a stand don’t last 5 mins as the seals are shite and the grease too thin.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

To remove Hope GXP adapters, you use a blind bearing puller to get one half off then gently knock the other side out.

anono

I’ve had a hope BB with GXP adapters for about 10 years – its been great and pretty much trouble free – I think I’ve changed the bearings once in that time.

13thfloormonk

That’s not an indication of anything wrong. Seals drag, the only bottom brackets that spin forever in a stand don’t last 5 mins as the seals are shite and the grease too thin.

Not in my experience, virtually every other BB I’ve had has spun more freely than this, and the only premature BB death I’ve suffered is (surprise surprise) the original SRAM GXP bottom bracket.

Like I say though, it’s no real biggy as it’s un-noticeable on the trail, and I’m certainly not fast enough to be worrying about the 0.25 Watts it’s probably costing me (in fact it’s actually a handy excuse to tell myself after another dis-spiriting 67th place finish)

sam1988
    Free Member

13thfloormonk this is one of the complains I have read about.

I’m going to get the bits and see what it’s like. I’ll fine a few notches in both of the adapters to ease removal too.

Thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope bottom bracket, gxp adapters’ is closed to new replies.