Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope Boost hub and Shimano 12 speed – measurement needed
  • ahsat

Guessing there must be others with Hope Boost hubs and a 12-speed Shimano cassette. It’s not a wild combination. Can anyone measure how much hub you have protruding beyond the cassette lock ring please?

I’ve only got about 2.5 mm and we are wondering if the wheel was built with the wrong end cap. The cassette is binding onto the dropout when the axle is tightened (and not over tightened).

Many thanks.

PS – yes the Sherpa has finally arrived. It’s stunning. New bike photos in coming when this is resolved!

benpinnick

Looks like the smallest cog is not seated on the cassette properly. That will be robbing you of a mm or so.

ahsat

Will double check the cassette seating but looks ok from this angle.

benpinnick

So it does, in that case its too short – you do need more than a couple mm, you need 3 just for the bit that sits ‘inside’ the frame. The MS end cap is 25mm long – much longer than the regular. Pull it off (Oooer) and check yours (Also oooer).

lillski74
    Free Member

I have this hub and cassette combo and have a slightly different issue (maybe related?) to you

When I fit the cassette to the freehub the cassette lock ring only just grips the freehub threads. I have already damaged a lock ring as the cassette removal tool will not seat deep enough into the hub to get a good grip to tighten to 40nm

The removal socket works perfect with my other wheelsets it’s just when used on the Hope P4 with Shimano 12 speed cassette? It’s really odd

Could this also be end cap related ?

It’s sits perfect in the dropouts btw unlike the OP
    Thanks

lillski74
    Free Member

Just taken a few pics of my set up if it helps the end cap c4/5m out from the cassette

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

benpinnick

@llilski74 did you remove the end cap before fitting the cassette? You generally cant easily fit a cassette on a P4 hub without removing the cap first.

Keando

As Benpinnick has mentioned about the cap. It may just be the angle of the picture but the cap does not look square to the cassette.

joebristol

That end cap looks too short. I have a Pro4 and had an xd driver on it initially. When I went to shimano 12 speed I bought the correct driver and what was listed as being the correct end cap, but it was too short. I rang Hope and asked what it should be and I’m adamant that what I’d ordered from CRC should have been correct. I think CRC had a listing error for a while that is now correct.

I found what Hope said I needed in stock at SJS Cycles – the detail is below:

1 Hope Pro 4 MicroSpline Drive Side Spacer – X12 – Silver – HUB1016-03S
    Product code: 52571

ahsat

Thanks Joe – I am going to pull the cassette off later, but I wonder if that is it. I checked the build spec I gave PT cycles for the wheels of Boost Microspline, but I wonder if it is the X12 bit that is the issue. £6.75 is a cheap solution.

Thanks @lillski74 for the photos – that verifies that mine is definitely short.

As Benpinnick has mentioned about the cap. It may just be the angle of the picture but the cap does not look square to the cassette.

Think it’s shadow caused by bad lighting, but will double check.

lillski74
    Free Member

@benpinnick have to admit no I didn’t ?

So you need to remove it to fit the cassette correctly? I’m just thinking about that process and how would you get the end cap on once the cassette is fitted?

Apols in advance for the dumb ass question!
    Cheers

Mat

I’ve got a Pro-4 boost with a microspline freehub and XT 12 speed cassette. I thought it’d all gone together fine without doing anything different to a normal HG setup. I’ll try and take a look at lunchtime.

Mat

Looking at the pics it looks like the cassette isn’t far enough onto the freehub body, you can still see the splines behind the 10t

Ignore that!

I’ve got 5mm of end cap showing.

benpinnick

So you need to remove it to fit the cassette correctly? I’m just thinking about that process and how would you get the end cap on once the cassette is fitted?

Yep you need to do it on all hope hubs really. Its possible to do without taking the end cap off but the tool engagement will be rubbish. The end cap is tubular so will just push back on through the hole in the lock ring.

The end cap just pulls off, but I use needle nose pliers as its easier than trying to do it just by hand.

benpinnick

Thanks Joe – I am going to pull the cassette off later, but I wonder if that is it. I checked the build spec I gave PT cycles for the wheels of Boost Microspline, but I wonder if it is the X12 bit that is the issue. £6.75 is a cheap solution.

The hub will have come with the right end cap, or the freehub body will have too if they had to change it from what was on there. The person who built the wheels (probably) fitted the wrong cap on at the end after changing the freehub. I’ve done it.

You don’t need to take the cassette off, needle nose pliers will do it to pull the end cap off with cassette on. Easy steps to fix:

1. Pull off end cap with needle nose pliers.
    2. Measure it and find its quite a bit shorter than 24/25mm
    3. Call shop you bought it from.

chakaping
    Free Member

I no longer have Shimano 12 speed, but I can report that I experienced the same issue as you when I first fitted it ashat.

It was then I realised I needed a different end cap.

lillski74
    Free Member

@benpinnick – thanks sounds straight forward and will stop me stripping locking nuts !

ahsat

1. Pull off end cap with needle nose pliers.

I’m just bruising the metal trying that.

And I’m being especially useless and can’t shift the cassette at all.

Admitting defeat until p20 gets home. Independent woman fail!

Thanks for all the help above. We now know what to look for.

ahsat

Well I’m just epically useless: @p20 got the cassette free before he’d even taken his shoes off having come in from work. Haha. Current end cap is 21 mm – which I think makes it the 12 mm HUB1016-04S rather than the X12 HUB1016-03S. What a minefield. Thanks @joebristol for the model number help. Hopefully sorted. Just a few more days to wait…but what’s a few more days after waiting nearly 7 months for the frame!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope Boost hub and Shimano 12 speed – measurement needed’ is closed to new replies.