• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by hazmo.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope BB Bearing Removal help
  • hazmo

I’m trying to replace the bearings from a Hope BBSS30N bottom bracket.

I’ve done it once before and drifted/bodged the bearings out from the inside. I’m struggling to repeat the process, so before admitting defeat and buying a whole new shell and bearing kit, I thought I would consult the STW masses to see if there were any nuggets of wisdom out there?

reeksy

What seems to be the problem? Just a punch and hammer should do it.

hazmo

Ineptitude on my part I suspect. Just wondering if there are any other hacks or tools to help, or if it is a case of persistence.

I’m sure it is all fine, but just seems like a bit of a bodge for a Hope product.

binman

The shell has 2 slots to access the inner bearing race, so locate them and tap ?

reeksy

Haven’t tried, but I guess you could also use a bearing puller if you left them in the bike… probably wouldn’t do that with a press fit bb though.

tomfun

Do what binman says.

I did mine last week. It might help to clean the inside so you can see the 2 little grooves.

Line up a screwdriver and give it a thump.

coatesy
    Free Member

Dunking the whole BB in a pan of boiling water for a minute or so can make a lot of difference too.

bikerevivesheffield

The bearing puller tool from bsc components makes removing bearings from any cups (even press fit) a piece of piss

hazmo

Thanks all

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.