• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by edd.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope ‘90s cable operated disc brakes – where can I get pads?
  • edd

I’ve volunteered to help get a friends old Marin from the mid ‘90s back up and running. It’s an amazing bike of its day, with some trick components:
    Hope purple hubs: Ti glide rear, suspension Front
    Pace RC35 forks
    Middleburn cranks
    XT, XTR and early GripShift

It also has an original Hope cable operated disc brake and the brake pads have disintegrated. Is there anywhere I can get replacement brake pads for these?

samuelr
    Free Member

If you get no answers here id give hope a ring and ask. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

trumpton
    Free Member

Might be worth asking on retrobike.someone will know

Onzadog
    Free Member

Picture of the backing plate might help. Are they the same as the C2?

coatesy
    Free Member

We used to have some hanging around in the workshop, i’ll have a look when I go in in the morning, they may still be there. Round pads if memory serves me correctly, def not the same as C2.

reluctantjumper

It’s been a long time since it happened but when I was a LBS Saturday boy I’m pretty sure the tame mechanic helped someone with the same brake keep his weekend on track by using a set of Tektro pads. They were so nearly the same shape, nothing 5 mins with a file couldn’t sort. I think it was an I/O or Novelo pad, might be worth investigating of you can’t locate any originals?

johncoventry

Pretty sure the pads are round as I used to have a set. A friend used to make is own. Bought some friction material and bonded it to metal discs. Used to cure the adhesive in the oven when his wife was out!

edd

Will try and get a picture up sometime.

@coatesy
    – that would be amazing if you did have some.

@reluctantjumper
    – good plan as a backup, thanks.

coatesy
    Free Member

Found 2 sets of EBC HH299R pads from that era, but i’m fairly sure they aren’t the right ones, more of a rounded square than plain round.Since the shop moved premises, i’ve got no on site database to check for more details, will phone them with barcode number on Tuesday and see if it brings anything up.

edd
    edd

@coatesy Back of the pads looks like the photo above, definitely round. Thanks for your help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope ‘90s cable operated disc brakes – where can I get pads?’ is closed to new replies.