Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope 11 speed cassette – Real world use/thoughts
  • letmetalktomark

Afternoon all 🙂

Looking at the boat anchor esque options for 11 speed cassettes I’m contemplating a Hope 11 speed cassette and free hub (10/40).

All of my Hope hubs have a Shimano free hub so contemplating a move away from Shimano will require a new free hub anyway.

XD hub and cassette options are more than I ideally would like to spend and their lower end cassettes are as much of as a boat anchor as the XT ones I currently use.

So what are folks thoughts on the Hope option?

teethgrinder

Brilliant while they work. Had 10-48t and twice snapped a tooth of the 3rd smallest alloy cog. Replaced under warranty twice. Went GX Eagle.

10-40 might be better.

Wish they did the alloy part in steel.

joebristol

You’d probably be better off going Xd driver and gx 11 speed cassette. Lighter than the XT equivalent despite being steel and harder wearing. Although 10-42 is the biggest range if that’s an issue. I run one on both bikes – fs with a 30t chainring and hardtail with a 32t one.

If you want more range I’d have a look at Sunrace.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    daver27
    Free Member

Been running one for 3-4 months now. Doesn’t shift as well as XT, very clunky. Also find the smallest alloy one to be the weak link. Not snapped a tooth yet, but feel like it’s been close. Won’t bother replacing, will just do the whole drivetrain with xt 12 speed once it’s fully dead.
    Also, the steel lower section shifts badly. As in VERY badly. And also coats the chain so it rusts really badly (xtr chain), not something I’ve had with any Shimano cassette.

honourablegeorge

letmetalktomark

XD hub and cassette options are more than I ideally would like to spend and their lower end cassettes are as much of as a boat anchor as the XT ones I currently use.

GX 10-42 Cassette is a lighter than the XT 11-46 and has slightly better range, also lasts incredibly well, and costs around the same as XT.

Hope is light, but light becasue it has a bunch of alu cogs, which won’t last well at all.

IF it was me, I’d be on the GX with an XD freehub, means you can go (SRAM) 12 speed in future on the same freehub should you wish to. If you have the price of a Hope cassette to spend, the 1175/1180 SRAM cassette is lighter than GX, but not as pricy as X01.XX1

Onzadog
    Free Member

I like mine. It’s the 10-48. It’s a bit clunky, but it does the job. I also like that there are 4 alu cogs. On my XD cassette, I try to avoid using the top alu cog but with the Hope, once you’re in the alu section, you might as well dance up and down it all you like. So far, I’m on my third alu section to the original steel and I reckon it will do more.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The other option is Garbaruk. I’m running their 10-50 11 speed with their cage extender. Shifts as well as SRAM. Have a look at Gone Biking Mad, I believe they import them.

damascus
    Free Member

I rate mine highly but I bought a new hub and ordered the hope freehub at the time so it didn’t cost to change.

I’ve replaced the alloy top part a couple of times and the bottom steel half always takes a new chain. Overall this has meant that it’s been a cheaper option then a few others.

This was a previous thread

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-cassette-durability/

Onzadog
    Free Member

Having read through that old thread again, I guess I must have gone through a few more alu sections than I thought. Makes the steel section feel pretty durable though.

mysterymove
    Free Member

I’ve no issues with mine and been running them for 3 years-ish on two bikes.

+ I find the shifting good with shimano mechs – not noticed it being any more clunky than a shimano cassette
    + The aluminium part is cheapish to replace
    + The steel part is bombproof
    + Its light

– It’s more expensive than a shimano 11 spd cassette (but way less than top end SRAM)
    – I go through an aluminium section a year in UK riding
    – I find I have to be a bit anal about keeping chains clean and lubed properly or it makes a horrible noise!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope 11 speed cassette – Real world use/thoughts’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts