Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hooray, its a sunday night “What tyre post!”
  • stayhigh

Morning All,

On my Fuel Ex 9.8, I’m currently running Bontrager Team SE5 29 x 2.3 on Bontrager Pro Line 40 rims and had been thinking of changing these come the spring and adding some inserts to protect the rim.
    As I’m heading off to North Wales for 4 days at the end of February its got me thinking about changing them before however I’m completely out of touch with current tyre choices. Knowing it will be wet and rocky there what would be a good combination to go for? My local riding is the north downs, Surrey Hills so plenty of twisty, rooty singletrack, bridle ways (and mud at this time of year).

joebristol

What kind of places are you riding in North Wales? Are we talking Snowdon / Coed Y Brenin or the likes of Antur Stiniog?

I rode the 2 black laps at Cord Y Brenin on Maxxis Exo casing tyres with no problem. I changed the rear out for a WTB Trailboss Tough/ fast for Antur as I’d heard it was really rocky. I only rode one black there and the rest blue / red – I think exo casing would have been fine in actual fact.

I’m not sure what the SE5 is like but I really like the Maxxis DHR2 on the rear in a 2.3” size.

In terms of a front tyre that you could use again locally I’d be looking at a Magic Mary in soft compound probably – or maybe a Specialized Hillbilly.

The Maxxis Assegai is also meant to be good – but might be a bit heavy for you for your usual trails.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hans Dampf 2.35 rear and Magic Mary 2.6 front. Both in the soft compound.

Snakeskin carcass front, Supergravity rear.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I find a 2.6 Magic Mary up front is hard to beat if you ride all conditions.

Bites well in mud, predictable on rock and roots, and big enough to drop pressure a bit to maximise grip.

I run addix soft compound.

joebristol

I’d avoid the Hans Dampf on rocky stuff in north wales personally – even in super gravity. I think the new ones are meant to be better than the old ones but Hans dampfs are renowned for losing their side knobs and the rocks aren’t going to help that

johnw1984
    Free Member

IF you wanted to stick to Bontrager, I’ve been impressed with the XR4 (2.4) rear/XR5 (2.6) front combo on my Slash.

Ride all sorts of slop, rocks and roots with them and they’ve been fantastic. Grippy, fast rolling and predictable when they do let go.

Second favourite combo is the classic Magic Mary and Hans Dampf on my other bike.

ta11pau1

Haven’t yet tried them out in anything but the southeast mud and roots, but I’ve been impressed by the Vittoria Martello in the 120 miles I’ve put on them.

29×2.35 or 29×2.6 – Evans has the 2.35″ at £32 each the moment, they’re normally £50 – https://www.evanscycles.com/vittoria-martello-tnt-g2-0-29-folding-tubeless-ready-mountain-bike-tyre-EV364246

For inserts – rimpact, or rimpact pro – get their valves too as they’re excellent. I’ve got the standard ones (before the pro were available) and have been running 20psi rear and 18/19psi front.

stayhigh

How do you find them around these parts Paul, have they been holding up ok in the inevitable Blue Bell Hill mudfest?

The Magic Mary looks a popular choice upfront.

Was last in Wales a couple of years ago with a 2.4 Trail King and a different Continental on the back which worked well. What are the Continental tyres like now?

leegee

Carl, I have 2 rides using a Martello on the rear, at Covert & Peaslake and so far really pleased. I was running a DHR EXO Maxx terra, this has thicker side walls but only a bit more weight, rolls noticably faster which is what I wanted. it’s just as grippy except when braking

ta11pau1

I’ve also ridden at peaslake and covert, been avoiding bluebell hill – they’ve seen plenty of mud though. I was expecting to have to put a mota up front but they’ve coped really well.

jree
    Free Member

The magic Mary is a blinding front I think but I never seem to find a rear schwalbe that works for me with it.

Minion DHF/DHR is my favourite set up with minion SS on the back june-august.

But I don’t have this on any of my bikes because of the ridiculous specialized sales.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The magic Mary is a blinding front I think but I never seem to find a rear schwalbe that works for me with it.

Aye, Me too, though I’ve not tried the newer HD’s since the one I had a few years ago fell to bits, supposed to be sorted now.

But I don’t have this on any of my bikes because of the ridiculous specialized sales.

I’ve had a slaughter grid matched up with the Mary for 18 months now, it’s getting a bit worn now though. Black diamond Butcher on its way for rear duties.

It helps that I don’t like having matching tyre brands anyway! 🤠

lunge

Conti Vertical Pro in a 2.3”? Am I right?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

As others have said-Spesh have still got some great deals on tyres,for around £17.50 a pop…I use 2 of their Hillbilly mud tyres for winter mud duties at the mo.They also have Eliminator( I prefer this to the Butcher,a pair of these could be good all rounders) and Butcher which are more intermediate tyres and then they have their semi sick – the slaughter,for a fast rolling rear .

Eliminator

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hooray, its a sunday night “What tyre post!”’ is closed to new replies.