Honours list are they having a laugh ?

Home Forum Chat Forum Honours list are they having a laugh ?

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • Honours list are they having a laugh ?
  • The doctor that oversaw the birth of the new royal baby now why on earth is he on it what about the actual real staff that did all the work I suppose they got a box of celebrations !

Kevin Mc loud ! for making tv programs !

Pete Tong ! for giving us a slang use of his name it really has gone wrong ! ( now lets be honest his music promotes the use of drugs does it not ? )

Ruth Jones ! Now I like Gavin and Stacey but really an MBE !

What a joke what about the real heroes like (me for my ranting on this forum) every emergency service crew in the UK etc…

What a bloody joke time we moved on from all this old royal cak

jekkyl

I know, I thought the same thing…
    The Dr who delivered the future king? what did he do besides a task he has done a thousand times before and that which other midwifes do every single day?
    Ruth Jones….. ‘oh what’s occuring’ there? someone smack her.

Missing is Tim Henman and Guy Martin (lol) mind you he probably wouldn’t turn up and just send the mechanic round with his bike.

I reckon the whole thing is massively devalued now anyway as they seem to be giving them out like confetti. Far to many going to ‘celebrities’ these days

Pigface

Katherine Jenkins for simpering and fluttering her eye lashes, she is a Neef girl give her a kebab after a night in Kiwis and a seeing to behind the Gnoll and that is reward enough.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

I’m not defending it, but there will be plenty of honours given to people who aren’t famous – those who make massive differences to communities across the UK. We just don’t hear about them in the media.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

even the torygraph are slagging off camerons choices, but hes balanced it by slipping one to his cleaner

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/honours-list/10543102/New-Year-Honours-2014-David-Cameron-cronies-rewarded.html

the honours lists are just another indictment of a crooked system

bedwasboy

@pigface..Gotta love a night out in Neath!! 😀

twoniner

I heard this on the news this morning and was looking forward to logging on here to see this thread!

All I heard on the radio was Pete Tong and the cleaners from No 10.

gordimhor

even the torygraph are slagging off camerons choices, but hes balanced it by slipping one to his cleaner

Yes Kimbers but did the cleaner receive anything in the honours list

she is a Neef girl give her a kebab after a night in Kiwis and a seeing to behind the Gnoll and that is reward enough.

Yes please!

The doctor one is ridiculous.

The worst are the tribes of civil servants who get them for basically turning up to their jobs.

I wonder if Andy Murray turned his down?

The hounors are given by the royal family – why shouldn’t they give one to the dr that delivered the future king? Its kinda what there for – saying a thank you and giving recognisation to some one who has done something for this country, whether it be part of thier job or not!

As for pete tong – his music may not be to your taste but he’s promoting the British music industry.
    Kevin mccloud – grand designs and his other programs are sold all over the world, he’s kinda like the media face of british architecture.

Like wallop says – these are some of the public faces that the media has picked up on. There will be many more ‘unrecognisable’ members of the public that also get honors.

Remember – its just some letters before or after thier name – its not like a cash prize or anything! Its only a representation of a ‘thank you’ for services to your country.

twoniner

As for pete tong – his music may not be to your taste but he’s promoting the British music industry.
    Kevin mccloud – grand designs and his other programs are sold all over the world, he’s kinda like the media face of british architecture.

And both getting paid a wad for doing it. It’s their job.

So what – being a fireman, paramedic, actress or dj it all just a job! Its about the representation of Britain to the world, whether you like it or not british celebrities are a huge part of that – they have been given honours for hundreds of years.
    Just because people are successful and make money it doesnt meanthat we should bring them down – we should be lifting them up to the world and saying ‘look what we can do’ !

aP

I don’t think you’ll find that there are many British Architects applauding Kevin bloody Mcloud’s New Years honour.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Like Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins you mean?

ask1974

One of the more less considered comments from STW this year…

Pete Tong ! for giving us a slang use of his name it really has gone wrong ! ( now lets be honest his music promotes the use of drugs does it not ? )

🙄

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

The doctor that oversaw the birth of the new royal baby now why on earth is he on it what about the actual real staff that did all the work I suppose they got a box of celebrations !

Mrs B (midwife) must have delivered 100’s if not 1000’s by now, all she gets is a shitty 12hr shift with no breaks(meal or toilet) and verbal abuse from the women and partners thrown in for free.

I don’t think you’ll find that there are many British Architects applauding Kevin bloody Mcloud’s New Years honour.

That may be so (I work in architecture myself) – but hes still the british global media face of architecture at the moment.

Mrs B (midwife) must have delivered 100’s if not 1000’s by now,

But she didn’t ‘oversee’ the delivery of the Queens great grand son and future king did she! Just because the queen has stuck some letters after his name it doesnt mean that the rest of us should get a personal thank you from the queen for all do our jobs as well.

The hounors are given by the royal family

No they’re not.

I was being geneal – for the sake of writing a long winded post. comittee may choose them – they are presented by the queen, who is also the public & media face of the honours.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

The hounors are given by the royal family
    No they’re not.

No, I think it’s Heat Magazine.

Can’t stand Kevin McCloud: Services to be a know-it-all tosspot.

Pete Tong is a DJ who plays other people’s music.

SiB

Pete Tong is a DJ who plays other people’s music

well when i used to be in the crowd dancing to one of his sets late 80s early 90s i used to think to myself this guy needs to be knighted, those were the days. God is a dj dont you know.

Sasha more deserved IMO

Gotta love drugs,eh sib?

Houns

What ask1974 said

Oh and of course no other music genre had drugs associated to it. FFS morans 🙄

Oh and of course no other music genre had drugs associated to it. FFS morans

Not that I can think of 😉

Oh come on lighten up it was a mere comment for shtis and giggles

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

now lets be honest his music promotes the use of drugs does it not ? )

that has to be one of the most retarded things I’ve ever read on here. Or possibly anywhere else.

twoniner

Oh come on lighten up it was a mere comment for shtis and giggles

Some on here just don’t get shtis and giggles.

Anyone who pays any attention to the celebrity awards is quite frankly, having a laugh.

About as relevant as SPOTY.

nealglover

To get a KVCO (as the doctor did) you need to have worked directly for the Queen(/King) or their Family.

I’m not sure if anyone else in the country delivered any future Kings this year, But unless there were a few I don’t know about, then that would be he was Honoured and others weren’t.

It’s simple really 😉

bigG

As has been said this is the same nonsense that’s brought up year after year, get over it. The system is what it is and whinging on the internet isn’t going to change it.

Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

Wasn’t the Duchess of Cambridge quite poorly after giving birth or did i imagine that media panic? Maybe the doc who simply “oversaw” the birth actually did a little bit more than just sup a coffee whilst the midwifes did their business. Just a thought.

As for Kevin McCloud, he’s a national treasure! Good on him 😆

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

You need to know what they were nominated for before making that sort of judgement. Sometimes people do more than the job they’re paid for. Enough it seems for someone (or more than one person) to take the time and effort to nominate them for recognition.

For instance Anthony Gormley got a gong this year. He’s an artist, he gets paid to make art, so why pin a badge on him as well? Well I’ve worked with him and I’ve worked with lots and lots of artists over the last 20 years and I don’t think I’ve worked with anyone who has so much impact and involvement in the arts and more broadly in the society around them, outside the pursuit of their own practice. It was a peculiar experience working with him and he makes a lot of difference around him. So I can easily see how people could be moved to nominate him and it would be motivations other than liking the things he makes and sells.

What a joke what about the real heroes like (me for my ranting on this forum) every emergency service crew in the UK etc…

If you think the accolade matters and that they’re worth it why haven’t you nominated them? As it stands you didn’t and seemingly nobody else did.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Tongy deserves a medal for his staying power.

But +1 for Sasha, and also Andy Weatherall, Carl Cox, Slam and A Guy Called Gerald.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

And how long until we get Sir Steve Peat? Might have a long wait if he has to retire first.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Same shit different year? Regardless of who is in charge.

Bit surprised nothing for Andy Murray, given the Wiggins precedent, and strangely have some sympathy that Beckham hasn’t had more given his Olympic bid and charity work, as well as being the last England player who appeared to give a tinkers cuss.

Premier Icon unknown
    Subscriber

Honours are as relevant as the royal family themselves, couldn’t care less.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Anyone who pays any attention to the celebrity awards is quite frankly, having a laugh.

If gongs were handed out like sweets to anyone and everyone who’s been on the telly then fair enough but the last time I checked there wasn’t a CBE handed out with every equity card so presumably these people have done something of meaning and merit to have motivated the nomination. Its a shame to then dismiss that out of hand because they happen to also have a name and face you recognise.

Houns

I do get shits n giggles

Anyhoo, just read on FB that the Dr who helped Michael Bonney (and continues to do so) has been awarded an MBE

http://www.itv.com/news/border/update/2013-12-31/penrith-doctor-talks-of-delight-at-mbe/

So shut up with your typical stw whinging

Junkyard

I think the point, how did you miss it, is that famous people get a disproportionate amount of honours just because their job makes them famous.

Certain “jobs” give you a higher chance of an award

Certain jobs guarantee it – head of the Civil Service for example – always knighted on retirment

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

When it comes to handing out gongs and baubles – aren’t the DJ’s, actresses, athletes, and beryl the dinner lady just token gestures to distract everyone from the fact that most go to people who ‘ve written large cheques to whichever party is in power?

That seems to have worked then. Again!

So shut up with your typical stw whinging

I cant and I wont I’m typical !

gwaelod

I don’t suppose the Dark Arch still going in Neath….

happy days

cheekyboy

And how long until we get Sir Steve Peat? Might have a long wait if he has to retire first.

Retire or retyre …………….aaaaaahhhhh hahahahahahaha !

God I`m a larfaminitt me !

What tyres does he use anyway !

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Honours list are they having a laugh ?’ is closed to new replies.