Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Honda CR250 1985 Restoration.
  • bradley
    Free Member

So I know how much we all love a restoration project on here so here’s my contribution.

My dad and uncle race Pre85 bikes and my dad is in the finishing stages of a complete nut and bolt rebuild of a YZ250 he purchased for £350. I’m not even gonna go there…hahah. This is what sparked my interest so here I am.

Purchased on Wednesday for £1000, running, apparently unable to start with the kick start as it was “slipping” and there’s a couple of other little bits and pieces mechanically wrong. Nothing major with the engine so far…*cursed it!*

Me and my dad have managed to get it going a couple of times with the kickstart (it’s definitely slipping) but we don’t think the previous owner actively rode MX. It won’t tick over either as it would appear he hasn’t set the carburettor up since engine rebuild.

The intention is to, to the best of my ability and pocket, restore it to factory standard and get the engine/suspension and everything else working ‘just sweet’.

Enough dribbling on. It’s likely I’ll be updating something every day as there’s always something to fettle with, that’s how you get it perfect.

Just some ‘before’ pictures for everyone’s reference when I produce the finished article.

bradley
    Free Member

Struggling how to work out pictures these days…ugh.

bradley
    Free Member

bradley
    Free Member

bradley
    Free Member

bradley
    Free Member

bradley
    Free Member

bradley
    Free Member

bradley
    Free Member

bradley
    Free Member

Started working on restoring the forks tonight as I know from dad’s bike they are probably the biggest time consumer, especially to get them spot on.

Very happy with the progress tonight as it’s first night on the job. Sometimes these things take some getting into but we’re off to a flyer. Will complete first fork and start second one tomorrow and then finish both forks with a couple of coats of clear lacquer on Tuesday probably.

Can anyone advise a better way to upload pics? They just look a bit massive on my phone or are they ok?

chojin
    Free Member

They look fine here, I do love a good restoration thread 🙂

Keep the updates coming!

bradley
    Free Member

This will be a good one that I will follow through to the end as circumstances at home now mean I’m single with the children and ex living 50 miles away so plenty of spare time…

Last night after I stood the forks up for the night as I’d had enough I decided I’d take the clutch lever back to metal. It was previously painted all black but I don’t like anything but ally levers. Will be down for breakfast shortly and will upload a pic of this.

bradley
    Free Member

rob81
    Free Member

Looks good. I’ll follow with interest

Pigface
    Free Member

Is that the YZ on the triangle stand?

Good luck with the resto, keep the pictures coming.

bradley
    Free Member

A quick update from this mornings work. I also prefer clean bars back to the metal so that was my task this morning. The bars were done by hand as they had no paint to take off but the support strut was done with the drill and wire attachment. Pictures to follow once uploaded.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looking good, just wonder why sooo much effort, are you not going to ride it? Be such a shame if you didn’t I say.

fd3chris
    Free Member

keep it coming I’m enjoying this as i just went through the same thing with a 1997/8 cr125.

bradley
    Free Member

That is a YZ on the triangle stand but not “the YZ”. I can fire a few photos up of that one in a while once they’ve gone out on the 125 so I’ve got some space to move it out. It’ll give you all an idea of the standard we are working at 🙂

bradley
    Free Member

bikebouy – Of course I’m gonna ride it! It’s just the satisfaction of restoration that will keep me going. That and coffee on tap from mum!

Chris – at least parts aren’t so hard to source for a 97/98. My younger brothers 99 YZ125 is cheap to look after. These evos are v expensive if you break them haha.

bradley
    Free Member

bradley
    Free Member

An alternative use for Salice sunglasses to! Thanks for the most expensive safety glasses ever!

bradley
    Free Member

First fork is finished prepping for lacquer. Going to start the second fork now and see how far I get with that one tonight. Spent all day tidying up the garage as previously we could be a bit lazy with 2 bikes, now we have 3, no chance.

And here’s the YZ250 we’ve already restored, just fine tuning to perfection now hence why no exhaust.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’ll bloody hell, niiiiiioce job there!

Great to see them again, just meed mud!!

bradley
    Free Member

Would you believe there’s parts of that YZ we are still not happy about but you need to draw a line somewhere especially when they are going to be ridden!

p8ddy
    Free Member

Very nice!

Tip for the top though – Beware bump starting it too often. The clutch baskets on the older CR’s are very soft and bumping the bike will knacker it. The kickstart problem is very common issue with that era of CR (I had an 88 CR250 with the exact same problems!) The kick start is a dead easy fix – and about £15 IIRC. Clutch baskets are hella expensive on the other hand. 🙂

Good luck – both bikes look ace!

bradley
    Free Member

I won’t be starting it again now until it’s fixed on the kickstart anyway. Thanks though!

Just finished prepping both forks for lacquer which will be done some time next week. Currently dismantling front break caliper/leaver for respray to black. Reminds me I need some before respray shots!

shifter
    Free Member

Nice thread, GREAT selfie 🙂
    Keep the pics coming but get some soft jaws for the Record.

bradley
    Free Member

Here are both forks ready for lacquer.

Also some before pictures of the front brake assembly before I’ve keyed the existing paintwork ready for primer.

bradley
    Free Member

And that’s it for the weekend probably as we are out of primer so need to order some and we are riding all day tomorrow so updates expected Monday!

Merak

Nice!

binners

Looks great! Nice project. I had that era KTM 250 road legal (ish) . Well it had lights (running total loss electrics) and a number plate. The CR500 is probably the most bonkers thing I ‘ve ever ridden!

Keep us updated on progress

kilo

there was a couple of pages on fettling cr250s in march’s classic bike, drop me an e mail at ddotcliffordatyahoodotco if you want a scan of it

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Great thread.

Great machines mid 80’s cr’s. I got chance to ride one of Dave Thorpes ex british championship CR500’s at Apex Motocross in Worcester last Spring. Being someone who has been racing four strokes for the past 7 years, it was a culture shock to say the least. I take my hat off to the GP boys of the 80’s. Those 500’s were absolute animals.

What you going to do with the header pipe? Get it blown out?

bradley
    Free Member

Kilo – That might be useful. Send it across please, my email is in my profile as yours isnt complete buddy.

fervoured – Ive only ever ridden 125s so when this is finished itll be my first 250. Im genuinely scared of riding a 500. Im going to buy a brand new DG pipe. About £180. Looks like it needs a new rear shock too and kickstart gear/shaft but other than that and a bit of TLC like whats occuring up there, thats about it. Hopefully spend in the region of another £6-800 on restoration. Id like all new plastics throughout for next years race season too, thats about £350.

kilo

email just sent

bradley
    Free Member

Thanks. One of the attachments wouldn’t open but the other one is for twinshock CRs which mine isn’t. Interesting to read though. Some clever folk out there making those modifications.

bradley
    Free Member

Rise and shine for a day on the bikes being shaken to within an inch of my life!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Are you not changing the seals/oil in the forks? I did them in my Montesa last year and the difference was massive!

bradley
    Free Member

Mine seem ok for now regarding fork oil/seals. I will change them before next year’s race season starting in March as with brake fluid/pads etc.

Cracking days riding out on the YZ125 today. Really felt like my skill and confidence leapt forward massively today. Now I need to crash to learn some respect for these machines…

As you can imagine, I couldn’t resist. So here’s some more resto work from the last hour or so. Probably going to take the rads off tonight after draining them and prepare them for respray.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Honda CR250 1985 Restoration.’ is closed to new replies.