Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Honda Civic – room in the back for bikes?
  • UpQuickDownSlow

Some time soon I need to replace my ageing Peugeot 306. I fancy a Honda Civic, but how much room is there in the back? In the 306, with the seats folded, my hardtail fits in easily with the front wheel removed.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Plenty of room, my friend has an ’08 Civic and often has 3 bikes in the back of his.

chiefgrooveguru

My old Civic is like a van compared to my old 306 – I don’t take either wheel off to put my hardtail in. The newer Civics (with the split rear window) aren’t quite as cavernous but not far off.

UpQuickDownSlow

Cheers chaps. Oh, and I won’t be buying a new one!

Edit: Ah, I mean I won’t be buying a new new one. I am, however, thinking of the old new one with the split rear screen, and not the old old one.

nealglover
    Free Member

If its the newer shape one, you will get 2 or 3 in easily.
    Very clever seats that fold totally flat to the boot floor without having to flip up the seat base and loose overall length.

MrFannay
    Free Member

I have a 59 plate typeR and I get 2 road bikes & 2 FS MTB’s plus 2 kit bags, box of tools, case of beer, track pump, coats etc etc in ours.

I take all the wheels off put all 4 frames in upright that takes up 3/4 of the width, I then can get 6 wheels in the other 1/4 and slot the other 2 wheels between the frames. It then leaves a space at the hatch for the soft big North Face kitbags, beer etc

….Oh BTW, I still have the hidden storage space under the boot floor as emergency space for anything else I’ve forgotten.

After 3 years of ownership I still can’t work out how it’s bigger on the inside than it lokks outside. I couldn’t fit all this in my old Golf estate…..still freaks me out!

I have a pic somewhere with it all packed…. I’ll dig it out later.

rexated
    Free Member

I’d be interested in seeing that pic too MrFannay.

toby1

The flat fold rear seats are pretty famous and well regarded by the peoples of STW.

I have EP3 style and I can fit a LOT in the back with the seats down.

Happy hunting!

UpQuickDownSlow

Bit of research reveals that I like the 2006 – 2011 8th generation FK / FN chasis. Seems it is a bit shorter than the super-capacious EP3, but still good. Has the same fold flat seats and hidden boot floor storage.

MrFannay
    Free Member

Pics of 4 bikes plus kit in my 59 plate Civic….oh and the FN2 are definately bigger inside than the older EP3 as I’ve had both.

UpQuickDownSlow

Thanks for that MrFannay. Yes, I keep looking at them and thinking how small they look. But from the side you can see that the boot is the thick end of the wedge. Nice design.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

don’t know how old you are looking for, but the 2001 – 2005 shape are MAHOOSIVE inside.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Mr fannay – the next time I go on holiday could you come round and pack my suitcase ? 😆

MrFannay
    Free Member

No problem, I also wallpaper the hall through the letterbox 😛

cmjdavies
    Free Member

+1
    We load two bikes forwards and just remove the front wheels. Bought a couple of those plastic shop stands that the back wheels drop in to keep them upright and then load the rest of the camping kit around it. Saves loads on fuel economy not having them drag on the outside and less of an security issue when we need to go to the pub on the way back.

verses

MrFannay – Member

No problem, I also wallpaper the hall through the letterbox

MrFannay
    Free Member

😉 @ verses

thejesmonddingo

Gynaecologist,Mr Fannay?

warton
    Free Member

yeah loads of room. don’t get the 2.2 turbo diesel though. shreds tires and eats clutches.

we’re looking to replace with a volvo v50 when money allows, for the above reasons, and the terrible rear / side visibility

rootes1

lots of room in my E93 Civic.

though weird thing it as it is Type R is that fro that model is has a towing weight of 0kg..

that means if you fit a towball it fails the MOT… which sort of rules out a ball hitch rack..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

cmjdavies – Member
    +1
    We load two bikes forwards and just remove the front wheels. Bought a couple of those plastic shop stands that the back wheels drop in to keep them upright and then load the rest of the camping kit around it. Saves loads on fuel economy not having them drag on the outside and less of an security issue when we need to go to the pub on the way back.

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

What are the plastic stands you talk about mate?. Sounds good.

UpQuickDownSlow

I guess he means this, or similar: Gear Up Grandstand Single Bike Floor Stand

cmjdavies
    Free Member

As above, that’s exactly the thing. And I think I paid about £20 each so that’s a good buy. They’re useful when we hose the bikes off too. I’ve tried to post a picture from my instagram but work internet not letting me. I’m @cmjdavies or http://www.instagram.com/cmjdavies but you’ll need to scroll back a few months!

cmjdavies
    Free Member
    thv3
    Free Member

don’t get the 2.2 turbo diesel though. shreds tires and eats clutches.

Hmmm, not in my experience.

2.2CDTI and 20K plus from the front tires (winter tires of course, it is Singletrack after all 😉 ), 82K miles and still on the original clutch, and averaging anywhere from 53-58mpg for A road commuting.

When I buy another car, I will be buying another Civic and in diesel. Fast enough, and economical without being gutless, only thing is they are expensive compared to fords etc

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

thv3 + 1

Cars don’t eat clutches or shred tyres. Leaden footed drivers on the other hand….. 🙂

cmjdavies
    Free Member

thv3 + 2 92K, only had a couple of sets of tyres and clutch fine. Love my 2.2

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Honda Civic – room in the back for bikes?’ is closed to new replies.