Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • HONC this weekend.
  • shindiggy
    Free Member

Another what tyres thread, i’m guessing as skinny as i can get a way with due to the road sections. What would be recommended?

They will be going on a C456 with revs and 1×10 gearing.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Just posted a why so much tarmac thread !! …… lots of tarmac this year 🙁
    I have a pair of 1.3 cyclocross tyres im thinking of running !

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Got a link to the route somewhere?

mboy
    Free Member

My first time at HONC, but I’ll be on 33c’s as that’s all I’ve got available!

Well I could take an MTB but that’d just be adding hard work to suffering from what I understand! 😉

grtdkad

Hmm I’m on the HT so deciding between:
    – Skinny 1.8 worn Nobby Nics
    – Fast Freds 2.0 if dry
    – Rocket Ron / Racing Ralph

or a combination thereof!
    …whatever choice they’ll be pumped up to 50psi+

orangeboy
    Free Member

Just fitted the 29er with ralf and nick in 1.3 but tubeless so only about 30psi
    Can’t be aresed to change them again

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ll be running Schwalbe CX comps at 50psi (on an MTB), I’d rather slip a bit in the mud and roll faster on the road sections.

JAG

So….

Am I going to die if I run my BFe with the 2.3 Nevegals?

😆

eyerideit
    Free Member

I rode it on Panaracer Smoke Lites but that was in 1994.

8)

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive done it on my Transition Covert, complete with super tackys and an uppy downy post 🙂 You wont die, so long as its a nice sunny dry day. If it rains or the trails are wet it will be shite.

I am surprised at its popularity with mountain bikers, it doesnt really do the Cotswolds justice. Good for Crossers and Hybrids really.

Hells

Just looked at the forecast for Cheltenham on Sunday!! 😯 😕

Trimix
    Free Member

Heavy Rain – 🙁

Thats me out then.

Hells

🙄
    Man up!!

boltonjon

A bit of rain will make it more treacherous you big puff – get out there and enjoy it! 😀

IHN

If you’re doing the 50k, any tyre will do.

If you’re doing the 100k, you might want to think about reducing drag on the road sections a bit, but any tyre will basically do.

It’s important to remember that HONC is NOT some kind of gnarly MTB enduro event, it’s a pleasant (weather excepted) ride around country lanes and tracks. The best machine is a CX, make of that what you will…

djflexure

Do people SS? I’m just getting into it. Never done HONC before, but have ridden around Snowshill.
    Cotswolds can be steep and with a lot of road wondered if I’d be better with 10 gears.
    SS options are 35/19 or 35/17.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ djflexure ,I rode SS a few yrs ago and was fine apart from spinning on the Tarmac which there is a lot this year !!
    Take ur time it’s not a race and just enjoy it .. I actually rode my fastest honc on my single ,work that one out ??
    And looking at the route again I’m surprised they aren’t going over cleeve common past the masts ???
    Ive never rode a honc that didn’t go past the masts !

MrAgreeable

From comments the organisers recently posted on Twitter, it sounds like a lot of the route is still in a state from the wet winter, and SS (or a spare mech hanger) might not be a bad idea.

I’m sure whatever the conditions it’ll be a cracking event. Looking forward to filling up on bread and butter pudding. 🙂

boltonjon

SS for me – and i might even put some mud tyres on

This will be the furthest i’ve ever ridden on a SS – could hurt!!

djflexure

SS it is then.
    If anybody has a gpx of the route (100) then that would be appreciated – as I got a late entry.
    Cheers

IHN

If you’ve entered, you should have been mailed a copy of the route yesterday.

djflexure

I picked up the entry last night from somebody who could not go.

IHN

YGM

djflexure

Many thanks for that

Sam

I’ll be on SSCX with Maxxis Mudwrestlers. Looking forward to it, though hoping the weather is alright….

Pickers

If you’ve entered, you should have been mailed a copy of the route yesterday

Not me, I’m on the Entry Central sign up list, but no email as yet.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Ive got a spare entry as i cant make it now. Can someone (buy!) take it off me, if so how do you go about doing it as obviously i registered in my name?

tollah
    Free Member

I was riding some of the trails on Tuesday night with 35mm Conti CX tyres on, it was fast and dusty! But looking outside now its raining and forecast for more 🙂

Im off to Catalonia for SSEC so I dont give a flying ************ enjoy the trails 😉

scottyroyal
    Free Member

34mm CX tyres set up tubeless for me – with spare hanger in my back pocket 🙂

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Been hammering down a fair bit today in Cheltenham and lot more on the way.Sunday is suppose to be better than Saturday.Heavy rain Saturday.Crap when you think it was lovely and dry over the weekend.Hay Ho back to summer conditions 😥

try5
    Free Member

hi rode the 100k last year.
    It was cold. Any tyre will do. I did pass quite a few pinch punctured cyclocrossers though. So if yer going skinny run em hard!
    I ran a 2.1 high roller on the front and xc pro on the back which felt draggy as hell on the tarmac.
    I would reccommend carrying wind/waterproof layer and lots of emergency munchies.
    why is my picture wonky?

iain65
    Free Member

Going with racing Ralph’s this year, when I saw the route on Tuesday I ordered a furious Fred from CRC, now it’s raining constantly here so stiking with the Ralph’s. hopefully the mudx’s that I’ve been using so far all year won’t be coming out!

large418
    Free Member

I also have an entry for sale. See classifieds ad, but £10 to a charity will enable you to scoff as much cake guilt free at Guiting Power. Drop me an email (I’ll get back to you late PM Friday as I’m on a course all day Friday). I can email the route and entry details etc etc.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Even with the rain ,think i`ll stick with the 1.3 CX on the mtb, hopefully they will cut through the mud better and be better on the road ?

boltonjon

the old STW everlasting debate about tyres – for the HONC – hardly the most serious race people will enter

SS or full on all mountain bike – decisions decisions…….

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

Looking out of my window over a very wet cloud covered Cleeve Hill. Don’t worry about tyres, which model of snorkel and shovel will you bring!!!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘HONC this weekend.’ is closed to new replies.