Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • HONC 2019 – who else braved it..?
  • nickdavies

Excellent route this year I thought, felt like a bit more off road than usual. Nearly dry as well, hopefully I’ll get the mud out… Did we all enjoy it? The 100k route left me a bit broken at the end.

Big thanks to all the organisers.

Who won? 😉

P.s. I did look but don’t think I’ve duplicated a thread.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Yes. 1st time for me and disappointment at having to drop from 100km to 75km as my broken back recovery meant that the very dry and hard first 50km induced a lot of pain. I enjoyed it though. Really enjoyed the more off-road bias compared to my expectations.
    I was on my cx bike and was surprised not to see more cx bikes.

ps44
    Free Member

Yes really enjoyed the long route today – being doing it for nearly 20 years and it seemed like more trail. I live locally and still they managed to find some bits I’ve never ridden.

nickdavies

Yes. 1st time for me and disappointment at having to drop from 100km to 75km as my broken back recovery meant that the very dry and hard first 50km induced a lot of pain.

Don’t let that disappoint you, 75k of that recovering from a broken back deserves kudos… I broke mine several years ago and I cut back to 75k 2 years ago because it was playing up, I missed last year so I was determined to make the full distance today (not a clever idea) and I can tell you I’m paying for it now!

mrmo
    Free Member

Did my usual job of sweeping the first half, easy 85km day out,

One thing I am wondering, did anyone take the “correct” route up the wall just before the golf course? We were debating this setting out yesterday and erred that most people would follow the valley bottom and hence the stone with an arrow on it to send people up and back on route.

ps44
    Free Member

So was the valley bottom and turn back up the “wrong” route ? I did see some others tracks going up left before that.

Andy

Did the 100km. Limped round with an inflamed achilles – not sure why? Nice and dry and I think the best course of the 10 I have ridden. Some really good descents. Hope the woman by the Ambulance on the rocky descent is ok? Was cold though!

mrmo
    Free Member

ps44, tecnically yes, the path along the bottom is a footpath, the path straight up Is the bridleway. I would be interested to see someone take a horse down!

grahamh
    Free Member

Andy, if its the decent I think you mean, she seemed fine back at the school, being taken care of by the St Johns people.
    Glad you all liked the route, I’m already mulling over ideas for next year.

Andy

Grahamh all the same trails more or less that have ridden before. Just seemed to flow well, and some technical descents towards the end that were fun and upped motivation, just as energy was low. Not done that traverse finish before I think (it all starts to blur..), which was excellent. Thanks again for another brilliant event

peteimpreza

Did the 100km on the MTB and glad of the choice as some of the descents were awesome.

1945m of elevation !! 😱

What was the queues at the Guiting Power stop? Never seen that before.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@nickdavies I am definitely feeling it this morning! The only other similar mass start event I’ve done has been the last 4 battle on the beaches (excluding this year) and I found the HONC far more enjoyable and technically engaging to ride. Nice scenery too.
    Big thanks to all the marshals and volunteers; I said thanks as I saw them but obviously not all were seen.

Suomi
    Free Member

I thought it was going to be one of the warmest years when we opened up the checkpoint, but turned chilly and windy by 10:30 😮 Well done everybody, some tired faces at the half-way point!

mst
    Free Member

@peteimpreza Where were the queues in the Village Hall ? Inside or outside ?

peteimpreza

All the way into the front car park when I got there

Andy

Yeah I had to queue for a couple minutes, but didnt bother me. Think it was the coffee that was the hold up as taking so long to pump out of the insulated jugs, and people were waiting for it, even if wanted tea. Maybe a queue for tea and a queue for coffee next time?

jamj1974

Last did it quite a few years ago – glad to see that you guys are persisting even through recovery.

ayjaydoubleyou

Nice weather and dry trails convincing more people to do the full 100? Hence more people at the same time at the midway stop.

A bell curve of riding speeds would mean most of the 50k guys are long gone before the bulk of the 100k guys come in, although there will be some overlap.

grtdkad

Bloody chilly all day but I must say out of the last 7/8 that I have ridden, that was my favourite route. 75km and just the right balance of road : off-road and a fairly fun last few miles back in to Winchcombe.
    Great event, thanks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘HONC 2019 – who else braved it..?’ is closed to new replies.