Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Homemade mullet bike on 650b frame – the numbers
  • ayjaydoubleyou

Anybody done this or researched it?

What happens to the key handling stats of head angle, BB height? And to a lesser extent reach and wheelbase.

I know the true test is “do I like the way it rides?” but these are more the idle musings of a bored man watching the February rains than a plan of action.

stevextc
    Free Member

My 10yr old has recently gone all mullet.
    He’s been riding an adult XS for a year but with 26″ wheels for DH and whips but 27.5 for more XC rides.

A few weeks ago I wrecked the thru-axle so we went to Rogate with a 27.5 stuck on …

I got the thru-axle off but he really liked the mullet… he still had 20mm of spacer under his stem but he said it jumped higher.. so he now has one of my spare 27.5’s

honourablegeorge

Tyre diameter is about 20mm extra, and fork for a given travel is about 20mm longer (at least for RockShox)

So 40mm more under the headset – usually you’d drop travel, go from 160mm 27.5 fork to a 140 29er, so 20mm longer all in – that’s about a degree slacker head angle, and a similar effect on seat angle. BB will be raised a few mm. Your bars are lifted towards you a little, so reach is a few mm shorter, maybe not enough to notice. Wheelbase a little longer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevextc
    Free Member

and fork for a given travel is about 20mm longer

Worth pointing out in the above the fork was 27.5″ to start off.
    I’d actually thought I’d swap the stem spacers over and drop the bars 20mm but he didn’t want to and was happy as larry with it left where is was.

I’d also thought he’d complain riding up the pushup with iot slacker on both fork and seat tube but again no negatives.

Given the frame is XS above this scales roughly to a 29 front on a M/L

Ideally I reckon you try it… used fork and wheel .. resell for minimum losses if you don’t like it?

honourablegeorge

There’s less of a jump from 26 to 27.5 than there is from 27.5 to 29

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Homemade mullet bike on 650b frame – the numbers’ is closed to new replies.