Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Homemade Lemon Curd
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

A taste of summer in winter.

Nothing like the stuff in the shops.

When we were young my mother would bake a Pavlova, top it with whipped double cream, then fold her homemade lemon curd into more whipped double cream and layer that on top. Delicious doesn’t come close.

Jam and preserve makers of STW, what have you been cooking up?

nemesis
    Free Member

You can make Lemon Curd! 😯

Why did no one tell me!

lemonysam
    Free Member

You can make Lemon Curd!

And it’s much, much better than bought.

Much!

Cougar

I guess “Lemonysam” would know.

johndoh
    Free Member

😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My granny used to make that, unbelievably good. She also made awesome bramble jeely, and my dad said she used to make carrot wine that would knock ye sideways!.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s tangy, citrusee and buttery. Loads of recipes online.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

How do you stop getting those little white floaters in it?

weeksy

griffiths1000 – Member

How do you stop getting those little white floaters in it?

don’t use the same knife you used for the butter ?

honeybadgerx

I had some marrow wine at the weekend.

My vision is gradually returning.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It probably is butter, I didn’t wait for it to cool fully. 😀

66deg
    Free Member

honeybadgerx – Member

I had some marrow wine at the weekend.

My vision is gradually returning.

When this photo is back in focus it will be safe to go out again.

Cougar

… only bokehing.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve made a fair amount of bramble, damson, plum jam this year. All delicious.

On the negative side, this is yet another reason why McMoonter makes me feel inferior 🙁

Sandwich

Strawberry, raspberry, plum and damson jams made chez Sandwich. There’s a moratorium on further preserve making until we clear the Suffolk Jam Mountain. Orange and Lemon curd are on the to do list though.

stealthcat

Been a good year for me – I got given a preserving pan for Christmas…

Started with marmalade to see if I could get the hang of it, then 2 types of plum jam, blackberry and apple jelly and several kilos of chutney.

The last time I tried making lemon curd, though, it wouldn’t set; I think it was because I used Sicilian lemons which were both riper and juicier than the supermarket ones the recipe assumed, unless anyone has any other ideas why it didn’t work?

andyl
    Free Member

And it’s much, much better than bought.

although it does make you realise just how much butter is in it! 😯

Only thing I have made recently was apple strudel using apples from one of the orchards we keep our sheep in and it was goooood 😀

I want to make some green tomato jelly. Never found one as good as a homemade one I had a few years back from a place up in Lancashire.

Drac

Been awhile but this was from lemons left over at Xmas.

midlifecrashes

Timely thread. Mrsmidlife makes a good lemon curd. It reminded me of homegrown stuff though, and I’ve been racking my brains for a pud for tonight, we’ve got folk coming for tea. We’ve got a big batch of plums from the summer in the freezer ready to go in a crumble. That’ll do nicely.

/Domestic Goddess

66deg
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

I can see the Mr Muscle in the background but you need to use it. 🙄

Drac

66Deg Earlier Today.

66deg
    Free Member

How did you know 😳

Bunnyhop

This is my kind of thread.
    I make lemon curd all the time. Next batch is for our WI stall, to support a local charity at the local Christmas fair.
    Like you Drac i whisk it, which makes it very light.
    Drooling now.

cinnamon_girl

Recipes please! How labour intensive is it to make? Special equipment?

Drac

Good Food is what I used it’s fiddly but not too bad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemon_curd_68499

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Drac, that looks good. What size eggs should be used?

I’ve some lime curd in the fridge, not quite enough lime for me but still nice.

Edit: how long does it keep for?

Drac

Think I used Medium.

It keeps for a few days in the house. Mmmmm!

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve got a dozen jars of blackberry jelly from September that I’m to eke out over the next few months. Black gold, that stuff. Well, purple gold.
    I do like a good lemon curd but resent paying for the lemons, eggs, sugar and butter! In Australia I’d just pick lemons off the neighbour’s tree and give her a jar later. *sobs quietly*

cinnamon_girl

OK thanks!

Cougar

How are you sterilising the jars? Noob question I know but the only time I’ve done anything like this is wine-making, is it the same process? (Not that I can even remember what that process was any more…!)

Cougar

Oh, also,

Can I just reuse old jam jars or does that not work?

midlifecrashes

If you have a dishwasher, a run in that sterilise them well enough, then fill them while still hot.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Can I just reuse old jam jars or does that not work

You can. just wash them out, I sterilise by putting them inc lids on a tray in a low oven for a while.

This year I’ve made Random Damson Jamson, Mark’s Plums Jam, and green tomato chutney. Going to make pumpkin chutney at the weekend. Love it! 🙂

Bunnyhop

c_g – Easy enough to make, however I like to stand over mine with the whisk,(usually 20 mins until it thickens) then you don’t get any lumps. If you do get lumps just sieve them out.

I use all our old jam jars and put them with lids in the dishwasher and fill when they are still warm.

Curd should last for 5 weeks unopened and up to 2 weeks in the fridge after opening. However it never lasts very long in our house.
    I wish there was a licking lips emoticon.

Drac

I sterilise the jars by filling them with boiling water.

takisawa2

I’ve bedded dozens of the W.I ladies in the hope that I will discover they make lemon curd, but I might just put the effort in to making my own now.

I couldn’t live without Lemon Curd.
    Had it today, in fact, on my sarnies.

timber

After many years of rather good lemon curd, this year there have been successful variations of raspberry curd (very good) and pomegranate curd (best with the pipes left in). All my wife’s work, I just consume.

Bunnyhop

I’ve bedded dozens of the W.I ladies in the hope that I will discover they make lemon curd,

Lol

cinnamon_girl

Bunnyhop – great info, thanks. I have a whisk with a handle to turn, would that work do you think?

Anna – some funky sounding names there. 😀

MadBillMcMad

we made billberry(blueberry)(blayberry) jam at the w/e

orgasm in a jar.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Homemade Lemon Curd’ is closed to new replies.