Viewing 17 posts - 161 through 177 (of 177 total)
  • Homemade, CNC'd balance bike – much progress!
  • AlexSimon

Pink and red – noooooooo

Mine didn’t really take to it until he was 3, but then you couldn’t get him off it. His balance on a bike is amazing now (he’s 7 on an Islabike).

beaker2135

Result 😀

stevied
    Free Member

Update
    Stevied Jnr is getting pretty good on the bike now so have decided that she needs to learn how to stop using brakes. I’ve made some adaptors and fitted an XTR rear brake with XT brake lever.
    Managed to reduce the reach on the lever by making a spacer to sit inside the adjuster barrel. Should be good for her little hands now 🙂

Brake lever £5, v-brakes £3

theflatboy
    Free Member

That bike just keeps getting more awesome, and me more jealous! So cool. 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks great. I can understand why mass market bikes for parents who don’t know any better, have the brake on the rear but as a keen dad, did you consider putting the brake on the front and teaching your little ‘un to use it properly?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Probably a bit risky as I imagine first-time brakers are pretty “on / off”, rather than experts in modulation – safer to start with the back, I’d have thought?

SammyC
    Free Member

Need the brake on the back so that they can learn to do skidz, I would have thought that would have been obvious! 😉

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks FB.
    Did think about a front brake but decided that OTB’s are much worse than skids. Plus skids are cooler, right?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Only asking because when I was a motorcycle instructor, I had a student who was great on a bike except she never used the front brake. Transpires that she had a field bike as a kit but her dad took the front brake off “because it’s dangerous”. Took a lot of work to get her past that.

*I am not a parent.

philwarren11
    Free Member

More pics of the missus please.

nickjb
    Free Member

Took the wife quite a while to get use to using the front brake MTBing having been told by her mum not to use it as a kid.

I bet we’ll see a hope disk on the front by xmas!

peabrain
    Free Member

I put a front brake on my son’s balance bike, and I actually think back may have been better. He rides a pedal bike really proficiently and can come down fairly steep stuff with just the front brake, standing on his pedals with his weight back.

However on the balance bike the front brake tends to tip him a bit forward as his weight is on the seat.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s a good point for the balance bike where the weight is in the saddle.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I NEED one of those in my life!

Seriously 🙂

Bunnyhop

What a lovely gift.

Euro
    Free Member

Stevied Jnr is getting pretty good on the bike now so have decided that she needs to learn how to stop using brakes.

Would removing the brakes not make it easier? 😉

Lovely bike btw.

stevied
    Free Member

Good point Euro. Maybe should’ve rephrased it to: she needs to learn to stop, using brakes 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 161 through 177 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Homemade, CNC'd balance bike – much progress!’ is closed to new replies.