Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Homemade chutneys, how are yours?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

My bro is something of a domestic goddess. He gave me a couple of jars of his homegrown green tomato and plum chutneys. If I hadn’t run out of cheese I’d have scoffed the lot.

Stoner
    Free Member

I love green bean chutney.

And this is my bible.

If I have a glut of unripe tomatoes they usually end up in a green tomato & banana chutney.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If I have a glut of unripe tomatoes they usually end up in a green tomato & banana chutney.

Licks lips

MrOvershoot

You need to taste my 2011 green tomato & chilli chutney.
    Well you could if everyone in my family hadn’t scoffed the lot & that was at least 10ltrs 😀

midlifecrashes

Plums and apples from my trees, onions and tomatoes from my neighbour, ten jars each in the cupboard, maturing nicely. I did try it out with the pork pie this lunchtime, yummy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy is a damn fine preserver of both veg and fruit, chutneys are indeed lop smashingly awesome, we’re about to send her up to the farm to start harvesting Plums and Blackberrys and elderflower berries, my she makes a fine salad dressing out of elderberries..

*looks forward to the volume of smells..

crossland
    Free Member

Good this year so far, a glut of apples has lead to several jars of spicy chutney, a gift of unwanted tomatoes lead to several more of apple and tomato. The apple has been tried several times and is excellent, the combination is still maturing and will be tried in the next few days.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve made a spicy plum one. Still maturing, tasted good on bottling but looks a bit too liquidy, anything that can be done to thicken it up afterwards?

Albanach
    Free Member

Just raided the bro in laws orchard so any apple chutney recipes most welcome!!

scotchegg
    Free Member

My Nan dropped off this years plum chutney. This now means last years can be opened. Along with the marmalade. Mmmm

mcmoonter
    Free Member

STW is the new WI. I’d be happy to judge the home baked cakes.

righog
    Free Member

Anybody made a preserve with Medlar ? or even where to get them ?

AdamW
    Free Member

I sometimes make the Nigella Christmas chutney (basically granny smiths and cranberry). Lovely, but MrAdamW isn’t too keen.

I do love pickled cauli though. Nom, etc. 😀

z1ppy

Never tried making chutney before but “green tomato & banana chutney.” had to be given a go…

and so after a month to mature, damn why didn’t I make more, it’s really good! 😯

stevie750

Mrs 750 made some cracking apple and beetroot chutney.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Homemade chutneys, how are yours?’ is closed to new replies.