Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Homemade Burger Recipes…
  • Clobber
    Free Member

The pulled pork thread and this quote from ourmaninthenorth:

It’s nice (if well cooked with a decent marinade and sauce), but it’s like the recent obsession with over-complicting burgers: the gentrification of basic American cuisine.

Has inspired me to ask the STWHIVEMIND for their homemade burger recipes…

So… let’s have ’em!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Just get some Iceland burgers, scorch them on a disposable BBQ until they resemble a hockey puck and taste of accelerants, then whack in a dry bun.

Maybe throw in a cheese square and a bit of ketchup if you are feeling frisky.

spawnofyorkshire

Good quality mince + salt + pepper
    Cook on high heat till a crust forms on each side. Splash a bit of water in pan and cover to steam through till it’s how you want it in the middle.
    Covering helps melt the cheese

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Clobber
    Free Member

Interesting take… I would try it but I’ve heard charred meat is carcinogenic… thanks for your input anyway though torsoinalake

bearnecessities

Mincemeat, bit of grated onion, plenty of pepper and Tabasco sauce

Shape, fridge for 30 mins, cook.

Yak

Step 1: Buy decent beef or lamb mince from the butchers.
    Step 2: Make some patties and leave in the fridge until ready to cook.

BBQ them and let everyone season/add toppings etc to suit. Everyone’s a winner. 🙂

spawnofyorkshire

@bearnecessities

Mincemeat, bit of grated onion, plenty of pepper and Tabasco sauce

????

40mpg

My missus does the only ones i’ve BBQ’d which don’t flare up from fat drips, so don’t overcook on the outside.

Extra lean mince
    A little bit of onion
    Dash of worcestershire sauce (helps bind the mince, without using egg which many recipes say)
    Salt & Pepper

Then use a Lakeland burger press so they don’t crumble on the grill.

Perfect in a nice ciabatta roll with crisp lettuce, sliced home grown tomato, and crumbled medium cheddar (too strong cheddar overrides the taste of teh burger IMO)

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Quality mince.
    breadcrumbs.
    beaten egg
    chili flakes
    oregano

Slap it on the barbecue.

Nice buns.

mayo
    onion
    good lump of spinach/watercress/rocket
    spicy sauce of choice, currently using a Nando’s peri peri.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It’s the one true way.

If you do want to gentrify it, I would suggest homemade buns http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/07/light-brioche-burger-buns. Give them a light toast on the cut side.

I’m of the no onion ilk, but if you are going to put onion in the mix, pre-cook it and let it cool first. That way you don’t get chunks of raw onion in your burger. Which is grim.

mark88

The best I’ve ever done I picked up from a rugby nutritionalist

2 tbsp olive oil
    1 red onion finely chopped
    250g smoked bacon finely chopped
    600g lean minced beef
    1 crushed garlic clove
    1 beaten egg
    2 tsbp ketchup (I replace with Reggae Reggae sauce)
    Chilli, salt and pepper

All mixed together and made into burgers

Clobber
    Free Member

Hmmm… decent mince definitely required,

So far Liking:

1. tabasco/chilli flakes idea
    2. worcestershire sauce
    3. cooking onions prior

What does the refrigeration prior do? I always thought you were supposed to let meat warm up prior to cooking?

Salt and pepper is a given but mine always seem to benefit from what seems like excessive levels, good quality butcher mince btw… maybe I’ve just got used to the taste of processed crap…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Putting them in the fridge helps bind them together without you having to squeeze them into sausagemeat or use an egg.

As far as mince goes, I may have purchased a hand mincer for the express purpose of mincing chuck steak up for burgers, but I would never admit that in a public forum.

ourmaninthenorth

Excellent burger gentrification, chaps. Them good ole boys of Deep South Kensington will be proud.

I’m all about fish these days – about to order two fish baskets so I can do whole fish without them falling apart.

chewkw
    Free Member

WOOooo … burgers I like!

I have not made one for the last 10 years so I guess I need to make some soon.

I would probably go for lamb burger so need to think of a way to make them. Think me ingredients will include, salt, sugar, onion, and spices etc … 😀

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    I’m all about fish these days – about to order two fish baskets so I can do whole fish without them falling apart.

What sort of fish do you use? Fish is very easy to do. Just add salt …

I like fish & chips me! 😆

sadexpunk

i always do the jamie oliver burgers these days. not sure if ive strayed from it a little but i basically use 500g mince (to make 5 burgers), 10 jacobs cream crackers bashed up in a blender, 1 egg, 2 heaped teaspoons of either dijon or wholegrain mustard, and if i remember a splash of worcester sauce. few bits of green herbs in there too, probably parsley, sea salt and ground black pepper..

mix it all together in a big bowl, make into patties and rub a bit of virgin olive oil onto both sides. cover, put in fridge and leave there til you want em cooked.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I must add that before I can start cooking, I have to grow my beard, then wear a white stetson and cowboy boots to offset my Japanese denim.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Current faves are:

1 lb of mince
    1 egg
    1 small onion finely chopped
    Chorizo in small bite size chunks
    2 tbsp of tomato puree
    salt, pepper and paprika

mix and stick in the oven at 200 for 25/30mins.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have to say, I’m not massively keen on egg in burger mixes. 😐

Keep it simple, but garlic, cumin and chilli flakes are good additions.

Clobber
    Free Member

ooohhh…. chorizo…. nice idea!

ourmaninthenorth

What sort of fish do you use? Fish is very easy to do. Just add salt …

Pre-cut fillets usually (salmon, bass, cod, haddock, hake, mackerel). But whole fish are nice stuffed with herbs.

Back to the meat, men – I’ll do a separate fish thread soon!

teadrinker
    Free Member

for me, minced pork soaked in cider overnight. Then with finely grate some apple, a dash of lemon and breadcrumbs. A bit of seasoning and mix it all together. Leave the patties in the fridge and cook when hungry.

richc
    Free Member

good trick I’ve heard of is after making the mix put it into some cling film to form a fat sausage then bung in the fridge. Once chilled you can then use a knife to cut off burgers to the thickness you want and anything you don’t use can be frozen

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

was enjoying this thread then had to rewind:

10 jacobs cream crackers bashed up in a blender

whats that about?

MaxWall
    Free Member

500g Good quality Mince
    1 Finely chopped red onion
    3 tsp of smoked paprika
    1 tsp ground corriander
    salt and pepper

mix all together, the make into balls and flatten and shape on a chopping board with some palm oil on to bind the meat and stop them from sticking, pop them in the fridge for upto an hour, then BBQ.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

whats that about?

Breadcrumbs, innit? Pukka.

By the way. I am now having a dilemma. Do I go for a burger or a pulled pork burrito for lunch? Both places decent, both equidistant from the office.

teadrinker
    Free Member

ti_pin_man – Member

whats that about?

For breadcrumbs and binding it all together, I think Jamie Oliver promoted this way, could be wrong though.

toby1

torsionlake

you went from zero to hero in minutes there!

Iceland to hand ground meats, which is the real version of you.

A good burger needs nothing in with the mince aside from a little seasoning. Overly lean mince will dry out with no fat to keep it moist.

Tesco’s sparse stocking of Brioche buns is the main problem for me these days 😉

leffeboy

You can also take almost any of the recipes above, make two thin burgers then jam them together with bits of blue cheese in-between
    Nomtastic
    drools

jimjam
    Free Member

I prefer to make turkey burgers, done right they taste as nice if not nicer than beef.

I don’t have a specific recipe but generally I will use

Turkey mince (obviously)
    Bread crumbs
    One apple
    One or two chillis
    Diced garlic (very lazy) or a little red onion
    Salt, pepper and maybe some barbeque or chipotle sauce
    Nut oil and maybe a splash of red wine vinegar.

Stir it all together, shape and grill. For chillis I’ll use one scotch bonnet for four patties if I can find them. If not red chillis or bird eye chillis are nice too but Scotch bonnets have a sweet flavour.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anjum annands indian chicken burgers FTW. She’s a bit tasty, our Anjum….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tesco’s sparse stocking of Brioche buns is the main problem for me these days

Aldi.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Minced poultry?

I’m not sure I am comfortable with the direction this thread is taking.

scotroutes

I often use a chilli pesto as a binding agent/flavouring. My daughter loves them.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I prefer to make turkey burgers, done right they taste as nice if not nicer than beef.

That’s why I’ve got cranberry sauce in the cupboard. I’ve been looking at it for months wondering why I’d bought it.

Clobber
    Free Member

chilli pesto

This seems a simple interesting one… but does pesto go with beef?

Painey
    Free Member

but does pesto go with beef?

Yes, it goes very well!

One of my favourites is to make a thai style burger, just add a dollop of green curry paste into some decent quality mince (20% fat) and also some very roughly chopped coriander. Maybe a bit of chilli too.

Something a bit different that always goes down well.

sadexpunk

whats that about?
    s’what jamie says 🙂

torsoinalake
    Free Member

By the way. I am now having a dilemma. Do I go for a burger or a pulled pork burrito for lunch? Both places decent, both equidistant from the office.

Problem solved.

I have to walk past a KFC to get to either, so who could resist some ‘Pulled Chicken’?

Not really.

It was a burrito as the burger place was closed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Homemade Burger Recipes…’ is closed to new replies.