• This topic has 40 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by chip.
Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • Homelessness – Manchester City Council has found the answer
  • chip
    Free Member

In 2000 I did a little travelling and when in Geneva I stayed a couple of nights in a Christian hostel where 95% Of there stayers were the homeless with the odd traveller, me and two American girls while I was there.

It opened its doors at a certain time in the evening and the beds were filled first come first serve. There were washing facilities and a warm bed. The homeless stayed for free, I payed a small free ( small compared to Geneva prices.)

You had to be out early in the morning which every one did. The man running it said it again opened for a couple of hours in the afternoon to serve soup for free and I was welcome to come back, Which I did.
    While eating lunch i sat and spoke to many homeless people who were all friendly and happy to talk. All the ones I spoke to had presviusly lived a fairly normal life before hand, marriage and kids, one guy an American said he had had it all including a very highly paid job but got into a load of debt which put him under a lot of mental strain and literally did the im just going out, walked out of his front door never to return.

That experience really opened my eyes to being homeless it was not something I had considered before.

They are not some sub species they are people who due to often unfortunate circumstances have ended up with no where to live. And I should image if your life involves sleeping in a shop doorway the thought of getting out of it for a bit on strong lager is quite appealing.

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Homelessness – Manchester City Council has found the answer’ is closed to new replies.