Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Home wheel trueing stands
  • messiah
    Free Member

Anyone on here have experience of this Jobsworth from Planet-X?

Looks like the awesome Park one I used to use when I worked in a shop but without the £250 price tag!

Any other reccomendations?

wwaswas

as long as the slots take 15/20mm axles (and you could probably cut it so it would) then looks like it’ll be fine.

Looks like it’ll take a rim with a tyre on it too which if you run tubeless is a bit of a boon as it’s less mess when you true a wheel.

RustyMac

no experience of it, but it does look remarkably similar to the park one, as does the spoke key in the customers also bought section.

I haven’t seen anything as robust looking for that price.

One thing to look out for on the park one is that the original legs were not quite long enough for 29er rims with tyres but you could get step ups

messiah
    Free Member

The Park is £190 at CRC

zbonty

You can make one for absolutely nothing if on a budget?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

When I visited Roger (Wheelpro) Musson a while back, he confessed to using a homemade one most of the time, on the basis that it gave better audible feedback, i.e it made a better “string instrument”.

messiah
    Free Member

I currently use an old fork and a broken frame for wheel building so the proper wheel trueing stand is not a necessity.

I’m leaning towards not buying one and continueing as I currently do.

wwaswas

I think it’s probably like most things, once you use the right tool for the job it’s difficult to see how you managed without.

messiah
    Free Member

Agree. I liked using a proper stand and at £80 its tempting, but I will only use it a couple of times a year so impossible to justify.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

messiah
    Free Member

More like this…

From this.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think it’s probably like most things, once you use the right tool for the job it’s difficult to see how you managed without.

Yup, although my Minoura one irritates me by only being able to dish symetricaly, so wheels need finishing in the frame/forks anyway.

goodgrief
    Free Member

I had a stand made from the template in Roger Musson’s book out of mdf and a few nuts and bolts. It works very well for me and obviously it’s customisable.
    http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I made this and build wheels for several WC DHers that survived a ragging Fort Bill!

(Oppps – tried to hotlink to the image but server won’t allow)

http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?a=412

Could do with updating to take various new wheel formats.

wwaswas

Mine is slightly on the antique side of things;

nikk
    Free Member

I don’t understand how a lot of those truing stands work with 15mm through axle stuff?

Also, I don’t see how using the bike frame / forks itself is a problem. Clamp assembled wheel in, start tightening, blutac business card to frame/fork so it rubs on high spots, measure to make sure wheel is central, true and tighten more, finished.

Maybe a stand is good if you are doing that every day, I could see why you’d want a separate device to hold the wheel, and not mess about with blutac. But for hobbyists?

RustyMac

For the top stand it is pretty easy to do 15mm/20mm wheels. I just pull the axle out of the fork and use that to hold it in the stand. The uprights move out and in so you can tighten them down on the end caps to stop it moving about.

I guess 1800 Euros for that stand rusty linked to above puts things in perspective, granted it does look purdy wowsers 1800 Euros.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Some of us aren’t important enough to have business cards.

wwaswas

I don’t understand how a lot of those truing stands work with 15mm through axle stuff

I have a pair of marbles I use between the end of the threaded bits of the stand and the ends of the axles.

dannyh
    Free Member

Wheel in the frame/fork and a load of zipties?

If doing a lateral true always leave the tyre on so you can chalk the area of the bend on the tyre as well 😉

humattzee

Hi all. Saw the original post when I had one of the Jobsworth stands in the mail (arrived in one piece very quickly so no complaints with On One/Planet X), so thought I’d throw my two pence in once it got here. Stand is quite robustly built…. Not bling like the Park stand as expected, but functional and will serve my purposes for a long time to come methinks. For bolt thru hubs, Park TS-2TA adaptors fit the Jobsworth fine and work for me.
    Picked the stand up via Planet X’s ebay store, and got £10 off with an unexpected ebay voucher/ promotion so for £70 I’d say it was a bargain and worth the punt if you don’t want to shell out on the Park.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Home wheel trueing stands’ is closed to new replies.