Home pc single monitor or dual monitor.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Home pc single monitor or dual monitor.
  • Hello,

In the market for a new pc monitor found some awsome deals,

My query is do I go for 1 big 24″ or two 19″

We’re I work we use two monitors (autocad tech) so I find it really useful,at home I generally will surf the next have iTunes open and autocad.im also abit of a tab monkey when it comes it IE.

The monitors are a dell p2414

24″

Or the same but smaller 2014 but x2

20″

Thoughts welcomed.

Many thanks

Liam

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

What do you have at the moment? Use your old 1 as a second screen.
    I’m using an old 32″ LCD TV as my second screen – home office with lots of work stuff going on. It’s great but I find it hard to justify for anything other than work. Though my current work setup also includes a 17″ laptop on the other side too so 2 screens 🙂

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Does your graphics card have two outputs, for starters?

Stoner

I use 2x 22″ monitors.

One on VGA, the other DVI from an ATI graphics card.

Admittedly I work from home, so it’s my office as well but I love having two screens – one might be work the other might be STW, or email or TdF live feed.

Sometimes there’s a faff sorting out desktop duplication/resolution across different models, esp if you are using VGA and DVI. By far and away the best approach is dual HDMI output if you can.

If possible Id recommend trying to get 2x of the same model – I have a Dell and a Iiyama and the colour and resolution is only just close enough not to annoy.

irelanst

I had the same dilemma recently. I use 2 21”screens at work and they are too big to use as one working area so I have a working screen where my main application is running and the second screen has Outlook, Communicator and OneNote. The only time I use an application across the two screens is CAD & FEM where some of the menu windows are on the second screen.

In the end I got a single 24” screen and it’s fine for everything at home (mainly Photoshop).

mrblobby

One big 27 incher here. Have thought about a smaller second screen, but then I do usually have the iPad on my desk which sort of does that job.

If I was buying now I’d go for one big Ultra HD monitor (like the 32 inch Dell one.)

jambalaya

Personally I would go with one large monitor. I have multiple monitors at work (3) but for home use I am generally only need one screen and use Apple’s multiple desktops to switch between things if required.

toby1

A £1700 monitor!!! The world has truly gone mad.

Premier Icon somouk
    Subscriber

I’ve got a 27″ monitor and my laptop 13″ screen next to me and find the 27″ excellent and only put things like emails or chat conversations on the small monitor now.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Does your graphics card have two outputs, for starters?

Easy enough to add a second output or replace the card if it is a desktop PC.

I like having multiple monitors so much (for work) that I bought myself a little Kensington DisplayLink (basically a USB graphics card) so I can add a second/third monitor to whatever crappy laptop I get handed by work.

For the home use though I’m less fussed about having a second monitor and currently just have one big high-quality 24″ IPS one.

mrblobby

Have you seen the Ultra HD displays? I work from home and stare at it all day so I’d not mind spending this much on a monitor 🙂

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

toby1 – Member

SUM OF MONEY for WHATEVER THIS THREAD IS ABOUT!!!! The World Has Truly Gone MAD I tell you, when I were a lad…

plyphon

I have two Dell 23″ monitors and they’re great, 16:9 is such a better ratio for films, gaming etc.

Could never go back to a single monitor, even if it was one single 27″ or something!

I’ve been running a pair of 24″ 1920×1080 screens for about 3 years now. Realised from day one that I could never go back to single screen as my entire workflow improved overnight.

A lot of my work is design or research/writing oriented so having the ability to constantly see reference material AND “in work” material at a glance makes life easier.

When I get round to building my new desk from scratch I’m planning on moving to 3 screens.

Premier Icon somouk
    Subscriber

Looking through this thread it’s clear I need a bigger desk and more monitors.

fr0sty125

I would definitely go for two monitors I used to run three 19 inch monitors and it was **** ace. Was very helpful for running multiple clients of EVE Online (Yes i know this makes me a geek).

mark90

For work use (at home) I have 2 x 24″ monitors (same make/model). One runs a VM full screen where I do my actual ‘work’ the other is for everything else, email, internet, im, documents, etc. So basically treated as two seperate PC’s with seperate screens, that share a keayboard / mouse. For actual ‘home’ use I find one 24″ is sufficuent, but then my home use is pretty light stuff really.

m1kea

toby1

Can I suggest you DON’T look at colour accurate ones from Eizo, NEC et al?

Such as this

Recently got a 27″ widescreen Dell, stepping up from an old 21″ 4:3 Viewsonic. Decided against a 24″ widescreen as it didn’t have enough of a resolution step up for photo work.

TurnerGuy

those are all 16:9 and the 20 inch screen is only 1600×900.

I would have a 16:10 24 inch in preference – 16:10 is a much nicer ratio to work with.

You could look at some of the 27inch screens as well, although they are 16:9 you still have 1440 vertical pixels, not an awkward 1080, or worse 900.

mrblobby

Looking through this thread it’s clear I need a bigger desk and more monitors.

If desk space is an issue then worth considering one of these monitor arm things that clamp onto the back of the desk. I’ve got one and it frees up a load of desk space that the usual giant monitor foot would take up.

That 32″ Dell UltraHD one, 3840 x 2160 resolution. I am sorely tempted to upgrade 🙂

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Monitor arms do seem a good solution. This Coding Horror blog post is seven years old but still seems pretty good to me.
    http://blog.codinghorror.com/lcd-monitor-arms/

I’m sure there is a modern equivalent of the arms he recommends.

m1kea

Wall mounted monitor arms? Been pleased with mine from Ergomounts which is much more robust than the crap you normally get.

Premier Icon Doh1Nut
    Subscriber

I just bought the 2412 version of the monitor OP linked
    It is the one with 1200 lines
    very happy with it and compares favourably to two Dell 20″ 1200 line monitors that I have at work.
    The little sound bar that clips under the screen is also good

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

I replaced my teams monitors with dual 24″ Dell ones & they are nice.
    Recently got two for myself but wishing I’d gone for a single 27″ for what I do.
    For home I’ll get a 27″ single monitor. Plenty big enough.

Gribs

I personally use a 30″ Dell at home and wouldn’t want to go much smaller now I’m used to it. It’s a lot nicer than using 2 smaller monitors.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I sit closer to the screen.

Really, it’s all about the resolution, isn’t it. A bigger screen doesn’t let you fit more on, a higher resolution screen does.

The single / multiple is really down to usage. At work I run dual screens as I’m often RDP’ed into remote systems. One screen is the remote session, the other is everything else (STW email, IM, documentation etc). At home I run a single higher-res screen which lends itself better to generic spodding and occasional games. If I need a second screen, I’ll add a second PC or a tablet.

mrblobby

Really, it’s all about the resolution, isn’t it. A bigger screen doesn’t let you fit more on, a higher resolution screen does.

Absolutely, which is why I’d be going ultra hd if I was getting a big monitor now. My 27″ is 2560×1440 and I really wouldn’t want to go any lower than that.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

I have been into multiple monitors.

I concluded having two the same is somewhat annoying – both must be off to the “side” so the gap is in the middle. You are constantly looking to one side.

I now prefer a big expensive monitor in the middle, and a smaller cheaper one off to the side.

But I’d like a FOBigOne on it’s own most of all, maybe 3.5*2.2k, or more.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Just installed a second (old) monitor, after finally getting the bastard laptop to work under Linux.

There are two reasons for me:

1) I work in VMs a lot, so I can have the VM on the bottom and my email/browser etc on the top (it’s actually a laptop on the desk and the monitor on the wall)

2) I can have the cycling (or other tv) on the top screen and continue to work on the bottom.

First time I ever had two monitors was at a previous job, where they were side by side and the same. I thought it was pointless at first, then I realised I could put console logs on the right hand side and work on the main one. Then I found a load more things I could put on the right screen that were always visible instead of having to alt-tab between things all the time.

As gofaster says; having the split in the middle is annoying, I run a 16:9 in the middle and a 3:4 (old screen turned sideways) to one side for keeping docs open on and running Teamspeak when playing games.

High resolutions may be pretty but make sure your GPU has enough grunt to run it, I know certainly for gaming that 1080 is about the limit of sensible before you have to start looking at really high powered stuff but unsure how that would work with CAD.

cruzcampo

I have one of these at home

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Dell+UltraSharp+U2414H+24%22+Widescreen+IPS+LED+Slim+Bezel+Monitor+-+Midnight+Grey+?productId=59791

perfect for photo editing, gaming, movies, browsing.

At work I have two 19″ Dells. I’d hate to have the x2 19″ at home as no where near the same level of detail or picture quality, but at work with email on one screen, bank ACC’s, browsing on other, its handy.

At work I have a 24″ (1600×1200) and a 30″ (2560×1440) and at home three 24″ (1920×1200) screens. I’d say it depends on how you use them but I find two smaller monitors MUCH more useful than a single big one. I thought having 3 monitors would be super useful (and they were incredibly cheap S/H) but it doesn’t add much over two really. The big difference is always adding that second monitor.

Also, as mentioned, resolution really counts. I hate the fact that all the new screens are only 1080 high. The extra dots of 1200 high is really useful. 1440 is even better. 900 is a bit crap tbh, I don’t think I’d buy a screen that was only 900 high.

I’d get two 24″ 1920×1200 or 1920×1080 screens second hand.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Home pc single monitor or dual monitor.’ is closed to new replies.