Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Home office heater
  • lunge

Sadly, it appears winter is here…
    I need to buy a heater for the small room that I call my office as I don’t really want to heat the entire house when I’ll only be in 1 room.
    Is an oil filled radiator a good idea? Or something else?

lookmumnohands

Has worked well for us – converted garage with concrete floor and little insulation.

After much deliberation ended up with a Delonghi Dragon.

Does the job, heats up the room in around 10 mins and if you get the mid range models they have a thermostat so can keep it toasty whilst you are working.

Big advantage over fan heaters is they stay warmer longer and there is very little noise once fired up.

Not had any heart attacks from electric bills either, which is the big red flag with using them apparently.

HTH

IHN

Yep, that’s the way to go, we do the same. Ours, it would seem, came from Morrisons, according to the sticker on it’s underside. Three heat settings and a thermostat, works great.

lunge

Not had any heart attacks from electric bills either, which is the big red flag with using them apparently.

This is my concern. I’m trying to save money by not heating the whole house, I fear any saving will disappear if I buy the wrong thing.

zilog6128

We fitted a smart heating system so can turn all the rads on/off individually, more upfront cost but hopefully save money long-term, plus is very convenient/cool anyway!

djflexure

THE DIMPLEX chico eco is excellent, and no oil, so apparently more energy efficient (thats what the manufacturer says).

IHN

This is my concern. I’m trying to save money by not heating the whole house, I fear any saving will disappear if I buy the wrong thing.

They cost peanuts to run. Especially if you wear a jumper 🙂

IHN

plus is very convenient

As convenient as flicking a switch on the heater that’s next to my desk?

zilog6128

As convenient as flicking a switch on the heater that’s next to my desk?

Yes. I get that not everyone is interested in smart tech/home automation or even really understands it but yes, it is more convenient. Massively more, in some circumstances. That is literally the whole point in doing it! (bar the tinkering/hobby angle of course). You might just have to take my word for it. 😃

pedlad

this is my concern. I’m trying to save money by not heating the whole house, I fear any saving will disappear if I buy the wrong thing.

My concern too – once you factor in electricity being 3x per kwh price of gas and the purchase price of the rad (let alone smart valves)…..isn’t it cheaper just to bung the CH on for a few years (and turn down the bigger rads manually)?

IHN

it is more convenient.

We’ll agree to disagree 🙂

jp-t853

With an oil filled radiator you can put it very close to your chair which reduces how much heat you need to put out. It is very good for warming hands or legs while working

matt_outandabout

Also to heat:

Morning walk.

Morning break walk.

Lunch Walk.

Afternoon break walk.

Take phone calls while walking.

Wear a cardy.

Good slippers.

Use curtains as designed – draw them as dark draws in ( sobs ) over the next few weeks.

IHN

With an oil filled radiator you can put it very close to your chair which reduces how much heat you need to put out. It is very good for warming hands or legs while working

Ideally, put it under the desk. Toasty.

Wear a cardyjumper

Have some dignity for God’s sake man.

nedrapier

One of these. I’ve got a few circuits with a swivel chair sit start and finish. It’ll warm you up building it, too.

All in, though, a bit pricier than a rad and some leccy.

jca

isn’t it cheaper just to bung the CH on for a few years

It’s probably cheaper just to use it when you need it rather than running it for a few years…

fossy

I’d say leave the CH on. Got massively stung heating the conservatory and shed office last winter with all four of us at home. The leccy bill was insane. 20p per kwh and your office will use about 0.5 kwh per hour, so adds up.

My gas bill is tiny, so I’d be using the main heating on low, also saves bills as you aren’t heating and cooling the house.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I tried leaving my.heating on low

Didn’t really heat my shed office…..

Ended up with a Chinese diesel heater off the kerosene and insulating.

30 minutes in the morning and toasty for the day.

bruneep

Ended up with a Chinese diesel heater off the kerosene and insulating.

30 minutes in the morning and toasty for the day.

thats because you’ve been overcome with fumes all day and you just come to at finishing time

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats because you’ve been overcome with fumes all day and you just come to at finishing time

That’s why I ended up with a diesel heater….the old gas one failed the carbon monoxide test…..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Used an oil filled rad before and it worked well. Takes a while to heat up the room so you need to use a timer to turn it on a good hour or so before you want to use the room but once warm the thermostat seems to regulate the temperature well enough. Didn’t monitor electricity usage but didn’t notice a difference in the bills either, so not too inefficient. Obviously depends on insulation but if decent insulation should work fine.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Home office heater’ is closed to new replies.