Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Home made Frame's…..
  • Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Anyone on here done it? I am after getting a cycle speedway frame made to my own design, but reckon i might have a bash myself, as a winter project……..

tinsy
    Free Member

I used to race a Raleigh Wayfarer frame for cycle speedway, you probably cant do much worse than one of those, but it was the buisness at the time!

yetivaud
    Free Member

Trev,

YGM, re ARC

phinbob

I've got a mate who went on the Dave Yates frame building course and is currently knocking up a home frame (He made a jig first).

He's a good amateur welder, has a lathe and bought the brazing kit. It looks good so far.

All the braze on bits and stuff seem easy enough to get.

PB

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Tinsy, I seriously doubt that…… ;0)

I currently have a Steel Lee Cooper and an Alloy Arhie wilkinson, and want to try to make one that has the best bits of both….

Rich, YGM also.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Phil,

where is you mate based?

and i cant afford the DY course, even though it does look good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Doesn't sounds like a "have a go" opportunity to me, given the amount of kit/knowledge (eg a wee's course) you need to make a frame…

oldgit
    Free Member

I've got to repair a tube and would love to braze a new one in myself, either that or find out how to repair a hole in a steel frame (not a rust hole, but a puncture one about 1cm dia)

mick_r

Hi Trev

It will probably end in tears but don't let that put you off trying! For inspiration have a good browse through http://www.frameforum.org/forum3/index.php and http://www.atomiczombie.com/

Brazing is far easier than TIG, but it is not really an option to have oxy-acetylene bottles in the cellar of a manchester terrace (and I don't think your mrs will approve)….

That kiddy carrying suspension bike I built was mostly built at home and brazed at work. Best option for you would be to cut / mitre / jig things at home and then take it somewhere with gas to stick together (you could tack tubes at home with a cheap MIG welder I guess – a bit shonky but makes brazing easier as everything stays in place).

Mick (& Alison)

p.s. there was a guy on the original SSEC thread that wanted a Carver frame – di he manage to get in touch?

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Hey Mick,

The cellar is now the Kitchen, i dont have a "man" room anymore…….

I can get access to oxy-accett as i used to fit Aircon, i was thinking of trying to do it in alloy tubing, get the Tubes cut and Mitr'ed at home or at work, make a jig from an existing frame, and make the adjustments i want, and get it welded somewhere else….. fancy giving me a hand!

ahwiles
    Free Member

once or twice…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Home made Frame's…..’ is closed to new replies.