Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Home Insurance with decent bike cover?
  • PolisherMan

Currently using NFU Mutual and they’ve been good when we’ve had to claim for household stuff. The bikes are itemised individually and covered in all situations. But been with them for 10 years and it’s been creeping up, so I’m having a hunt around with little success.
    The NatWest said they could give us a good quote, but had a limit of £3000 per bike.
    We’ve got 3 bikes, two at £2200 and one at £3600 and pay £850 in NW England.
    Does that sound expensive or reasonable?

nickdavies

Do we need to do this every time?? Search will reveal about 20 threads this year alone. 😉

That said, pedal cover give me 15k of bike cover and cover in use etc for £350 a year. (Midlands, boring 3 bed semi) However, I’ve never tested the claims process but I will say I deal with insurers a lot at work and if every customer I had was with the NFU life would be a lot easier, they are very good at actually paying out. Amazing how many people just go with the cheapest on the meerkats and wonder why they have problems claiming.

ossify

Do you have anything with Nationwide? They do a 25% members discount on insurance if you have an account, mortgage or something with them.

We got a good quote including bikes but a) I’ve never claimed with them (it’s new) and b) we don’t have itemised bikes, just the regular cover of up to £1000 each, so I’m not sure how much this helps you! 🙂

Blackflag
    Free Member

Go with the cheapest on the meerkats then list the items separately. Most of the big names will be present (and will invariably be underwritten by AXA anyway).

And how much you pay is very postcode specific. NW means nothing.

DezB
    Free Member

As Blackflag says – use a comparison site – they’re all set up for adding bikes as specified items. I’m with Churchill, but it changes every year.

joebristol

I used compare the market and it came up with ‘Home Protect’. I listed all 3 of my bikes on the home insurance (covering locked up away from the house too) which came to a reasonable amount of money and was cheaper than Esure who was insured by previously (with lower value bikes that I hadn’t got round to updating).

ssboggy

Give Pedalcover a try, I’m just in the process of renewing my home insurance and they seem very good. A mate had to claim last year and there was no hassle. There contents cover covers all your bikes at home with no limit in the garage and the bikes aren’t named on the policy. Just had a quote for £299

DezB
    Free Member

I’m with Churchill

I lied: Admiral – £180 with 4 specified bikes

joebristol

All your quotes sounds cheap compared to mine!

highlandman
    Free Member

I’m another one on Home Protect and happy ‘enough’ with the premium. Not had to claim though..

DezB
    Free Member

Not had to claim though..

Exactly! Which is why I’ll never pay over the odds for perceived “better” insurance.

globalti
    Free Member

Aviva here even though every time we renew they try to sneak the premium up so we threaten to go elsewhere and they relent.

glenh
    Free Member

£75 extra on my house insurance according to the schedule, for unlimited bikes up to £3000 (each), at home and away (must be locked up).
    That’s with Quotemehappy.com (owned and underwritten by Aviva).

Vortexracing

I’m another one on Home Protect and happy ‘enough’ with the premium. Not had to claim though..

same here

Wally

Still with M and S.
    Should probably change.

PolisherMan

Pedalcover have just quoted half what my current insurance co. want! And the bike insurance part sounds very impressive.

Sorted.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Home Insurance with decent bike cover?’ is closed to new replies.