Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Home insurance renewal time (sorry) where for a 3k bike?
  • twang
    Free Member

I’m struggling getting the bike specified on comparison sites
    Not looking for away from home or accidental damage so much cheapness is the key 🙂

Any pointers much appreciated…

falkirk-mark

I tried a week or 2 ago and for inuring a specific item at that sort of cash they will want to speak to you so use comparison site then phone round the best from there.HTH

twang
    Free Member

Was hoping to avoid the inevitable call queuing but I’m going round in circles on the web sites so maybe the only way

Cheers 🙂

twang
    Free Member

Just called Direct line and the nice lady said that I’m covered for my 3k bike from within my home so I continue with my online quote where I happen across a smallprint balloon that states “bicycles up to £1000” FFS!!!
    once again from the top…

IHN

Try ringing the Co-Op

piha
    Free Member

I renewed my M&S household insurance yesterday and I was shocked how much it went up by when I had to inform M&S what bikes I wanted to include on my insurance (+£300 approx).
    After chatting to the person on the other end of the line I was advised to include a £100 excess and the cost was then less (approx £80) than last years premium. That was with accidental damage and away from home, anywhere in the world cover.

edsbike
    Free Member

I’ve not successfully managed to insure any bikes above £2.5k for ‘at home only’ and not out and about. No one will insure them unspecified and specifying seems to automatically cover them outside the home.

If anyone has found anything different it’d be good to hear about it.

twang
    Free Member

Co-op’s out, bicycles up to £1500
    Also had a quote from M&S that was way ott, I’ll give it another go though after upping my excess….

granny_ring

Have you done a search on here?
    Was a thread about M&S renewal recently.

HB47

Obviously will be of limited interest – but SAGA Insurance are happy to insure bikes up to £3k , home or away or just home . At least there is one good point of being 50+

IHN

Really? The other half’s is insured with them at a specified £1800. Non-specified bikes are covered up to a grand (I’m looking at the renewal right now as I need to sort it out and specify a couple more)

Miffy
    Free Member

We are with More than.
    Got the building insurance and then got £75k contents insurance free included.

All bikes under £1,500 are included.
    Bikes over £1,500 have to be named on the policy, make type etc with replacement cost. No extra premium on policy.

You may to speak to an actual person, although its their standard policy, it might not come up on the search websites.

kendo954
    Free Member

Co-op iv 3 added to my police £1250 £2500 & £600 added about £80 to the policy

kendo954
    Free Member

Policy even!

TiRed

Royal Sun Alliance. Unlimited inside the house. It won’t be cheap. Don’t ask me how I know…

twang
    Free Member

Really? The other half’s is insured with them at a specified £1800. Non-specified bikes are covered up to a grand (I’m looking at the renewal right now as I need to sort it out and specify a couple more)

This is what she told me on the phone, she even did some keyboard tapping to double check. Doesn’t mean a lot though after my conversation with direct line. If they dont know, how the hells a thicko like me supposed to find out? AAARRGGGHHH

twang
    Free Member

Cheers Miffy and TiRed, More Than (Sun Alliance) seems to tick all the boxes. Individual bikes covered at home up to 5k if named on policy, new for old replacement of same make and model – all for half what M&S quoted!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Ive recently gone to Home Protect Insurance, Policy has come back with all my bikes individually listed about 10k total, also named my HTC and the kids Iphone 4s and Galaxy s3 all there with insured value against them, dont know if its worth the paper its written on but everything is there which is something ive never had previously , think it was £400 ish ,building & contents.

njee20
    Free Member

Royal Sun Alliance. Unlimited inside the house. It won’t be cheap. Don’t ask me how I know…

RSA = More Than, who seemed pretty reasonable when I did a comparison quote to M&S before they changed their terms. Had to name them, but they quoted online and weren’t stupid expensive. A hefty excess will help massively, depends how likely you are to claim for lost sunglasses, damaged phone etc, or if it really is contingency for when you get cleaned out of £10k of bikes!

Nationwide cover up to £3k IIRC.

DT78
    Free Member

Previous thread about M&S says they’ve changed their terms so I’m watching these posts with interest for a couple of months time when I need to renew…

grtdkad

Just received my renewal quote off M&S so I’ll let you know how I get on.

iain1775
    Free Member

Sheila’s Wheels (it’s not just for girls)
    1x£3500, 1x£3000, 1x£1200 bikes as specified items plus engagement ring etc
    Covered in house, out and about, accidental damage, legal, protected no claims, £5k cover in outbuildings etc
    £460 premium contents and buildings (unlimited), that was £55 cheaper than last years M&S price and £200 cheaper than this years renewal once the t&c change was accounted for. Read all the policy, seems pretty similar cover to what I used to have with M&S and Was best I found as more than and nationwide had something that the bike was only covered to £1k regardless if stolen from inside a locked car (yet if chained to a lamppost outside the same car would have been fine!)
    I looked at pretty much everyone recommended over on the various M&S threads, took me last 2 weeks to plough through and phone them all

If I recommend anyone we both get a free 1 night stay in a UK hotel (we don’t have to share or even go at same time 😉 ) or 10 free car washes
    Email me if you want the recommend link sending

Simwit

Esure here, changed to them today after receiving the dreaded M & S renewal letter. They’re the company behind Sheila’s Wheels so same cover as iain1775 above for the bikes.

twang
    Free Member

Esure and Shiela’s IIRC dont replace new for old. Its written somewhere on web site that age and depreciation is taken into account when paying out for your nicked bike!

Pembo
    Free Member

Cough, cough, plus 1 Saga. 🙄

doglover
    Free Member

Think Co-Op is 2.5k limit per bike.

granny_ring

That’s worth knowing twang, think they would try and claw a fair bit back that way?

Simwit

I’ll check that when the paperwork arrives in the next day or so, I hope it’s not the case or I’ll be using the cooling off period to cancel.

iain1775
    Free Member

It does say that yes, I’ve just checked

Simwit

Bugger

iain65
    Free Member

Try NFU, not the cheapest but I have a few bikes insured for accidental damage and theft at 2-3k value.

robido

+1 saga 2 bikes at £3500 each home and away house and contents £245

IHN

Think Co-Op is 2.5k limit per bike.

It is, I’ve just spoken to them about my renewal and the £3k bike that I need to insure 🙁

Off to try MoreThan

DezB
    Free Member

DON’T USE ZURICH.
    Or Legal & General. They are scum.

I’m also with Homeprotect now.

granny_ring

Why’s that DezB, in terms of payout?

IanW
    Free Member

The Direct Line agent was correct- Bicycles in the home are covered up to the maximum of the contents insured which is 50k. *

Theres also 1k away form home included at no additional cost or you can buy more.

It actually good cover for cyclists, I have just taken out a policy this morning 🙂

*you may have to specify over 3 or 4k.

grtdkad

Just renewed with M&S after a load of soul (and web) searching. MoreThan looked good for bikes at first then realised that the ‘if stolen from in an un-manned car’ limit would be £1000

There’s a few bikes to consider but only one ‘of value’ – so specified on M&S at value £4800 and it added £7 to my monthly premium. Perfect. Thanks M&S

jambo13
    Free Member

When I was with Direct Line a few years ago the bikes where covered for the value of the home insurance, as long as they where kept inside the house. Didn’t have to declare them either.

I also ended up having to claim after some tea leaf broke in and stole them, and they did pay up with new for old, though it took many, many months (almost 6 months!) of going through the claims procedure to get them. Still, bit of a result in the end.

Now with Hiscox, and believe I asked all the same questions as you on the phone, but just checked and it’s only £2.5k per bike. Might be needing to change at renewal time :-/

sponge999
    Free Member

I’ve been with M&S for several years and I’ve just got my renewal through for 7th March. They’re changing their policy T&Cs and introducing the new £2000 limit on bicycles. I now have to declare my £2600 MTB*, which results in a 10% hike in my premium.

* If you don’t, it’s not covered at all.

More Than gave a good quote, but it was still slightly higher than my M&S renewal and not unlimited like M&S. So it looks like I’ll be staying put and paying the extra. 🙁

beamers

I am also watching this thread with much interest as I am currently insured with M and S on their old terms. Our policy expires in March so I’ll be engaged in a new policy hunt to cover our “fleet” of bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Home insurance renewal time (sorry) where for a 3k bike?’ is closed to new replies.