Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Home Improvement TrackWorld: How much to have some wall's skimmed?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Our livingroom walls look like a teenagers face.

There’s one bit where some previous DIY’er bodged in some wall lights leaving some lumpy lines down the walls, and the rest is paper lined before painting. As I CBA with the whole lining thing and the current paper looks a bit gash peeling off arround radiators I reckon getting it skimmed by a pasterer before painting seems a better idea.

On the basis that someone else has already fecked up doing it DIY I’m not going to try myself! How much do you reckon it would be just for the plastering if I strip the old paper off and paint it afterwards?

~20ft x 15ft room, aproximately rectangular apart from an alcove for the doorway. In Wokingham. If it’s cheeper than I’m envisiging I might get the hall done too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Done properly (and there’s no pint not doing it properly) I’d imagine that’s one or two days work. £200/day including materials is what we paid. In fact, I’m only in Farnborough, I might be able to dig out the details of the guy we used, who was superb?

footflaps

As I CBA with the whole lining thing and the current paper looks a bit gash peeling off arround radiators I reckon getting it skimmed by a pasterer before painting seems a better idea.

Definately – I’ve had most of the house re-skimmed over the original Victorian plaster. Very cost effective way of getting a good surface to paint.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’d be great.

We’re thinking of moving and need to get the place presentable for minimum cost/effort. The missus is more DIY inclined than me but her project management is apalling, she starts a room whilst bored then I come home form a ride to find half a wall done and a promise that her brother inlaw’s parent’s dog’s next door neighbours puppies surrogate mother’s owner has said he can finish it on the 29th of Febuary in a non-leap year.

The kitchen only got finished when I started refusing to do the cooking on top of the washing machine!

ricardo666
    Free Member

I recently had my Living room walls skimmed, on
    a slightly smaller room to your yours. From a
    couple of locals who I see driving past on my
    ride to work.

The lads quoted me £260 took 8 hours, an
    excellent job done, recommend him to any one.

Mugboo

Just having an old Victorian house done. Using a very good lad, superb finish, charges £120 a day plus materials.

I removed all the paper & helped him board the ceilings. As for the walls, I just removed any loose bits, he said his float would remove the rawl plugs and his roller and PVA the rest.

So far, 3 bedrooms, £840 plus materials.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you’re stripping the paper, might be better to hire a proper steamer thingy rather than buy one. Don’t forget to sugar soap the walls afterwards to get the shticky shtuff off to give your plasterer a nice surface to PVA. That and a cup of tea as he comes in the door will keep him happy. 🙂

(I did the same with a couple of rooms in a Vicky and, yeah, it was a bit of a ballache, but worth it for the finish when you paint. Good luck.)

ourmaninthenorth

Best skimming/plastering job I had done was in my old Victorian house.

Hallway
    Stairs
    Landing
    Stairs to second floor
    Second floor landing

All were walls and ceiling, including some reboarding and repairs to blown lath and plaster. And…

Bathroom (bare brick).

£900. One day*. “Best finish I’ve ever seen” said the decorator.

*Yes, one day. Although actually 9 man days – I had to wait 15 minutes to get out through the front door there were that many people and materials coming into the house.

richc
    Free Member

If you are near Bristol, I can recommend two plasters they charge £125 each a day and you hire them as a pair.

Might sound a lot, but their day is typically 8am to 8pm, so they get a lot done and they are very very picky, as they are brothers and are hyper critical of each others work and take the piss/take photos if anything isn’t spot on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Home Improvement TrackWorld: How much to have some wall's skimmed?’ is closed to new replies.