Home electrics question

Home Forum Chat Forum Home electrics question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Home electrics question
  • Liftman

Earth the metal box, say the wire chafes on the edge and makes the box live

andyl

That’s what I thought. There is a grommet for the wire to pass through but thought an earth wire through the wall looked a bit ghetto

andyl

Just setting up all the wiring ready to have a dual fuel towel rail installed when I have a new CU. The element will be wired into a switch and timer in a cupboard next to the bathroom. Have a metal pattress box recessed in the wall next to the towel rail and a hole through to a box in the cupboard that has a T&E feed from the timer and isolation switch.

Am I okay to drill a 20mm hole into the front of a blank box cover and fit a cable gland and run the flex through the wall to a connection block in the box in the cupboard? This lets me leave the flex longer than using a flex outlet plate and I’d rather not have connections in a box next to the radiator as it will probably have wet stuff hanging over it.

does the metal box in the bathroom wall have to be earthed even though wire just passes through it?

really you need one of these as you should have a local point of isolation.
    You can also use a flex outlet plate such as this
    Some have the outlet angled slightly downwards so water can’t track along the flex and run into the connections.
    A little moisture shouldn’t trouble the connections too much as it more than likely won’t get in, unless the towels will be dripping wet. Assuming your CU is RCD protected the worst that’ll happen is the RCD trips, but very unlikely.
    H2H

andyl

I’ve got a switched fused spur feeding a mechanical timer in the cupboard next to the bathroom and the new CU will be RCD so that should be sorted.

I needed to get a fuse only unit like you posted for the shaver socket wiring. The wiring for that exits the wall above the bathroom cabinet so I will put an unswitched fused spur there as a switched one is not allowed I believe.

Just saw the bottom exit plates. That will be much better as I was worried about a cable sticking straight out. Hadn’t even thought of one of those as just been shopping at screwfix and toolstation as they are local. They store you linked too is pretty good, lots more choice.

It’s all getting checked and wired up (I’m leaving all the new stuff with the fronts off and unconnected) by the electrician when they come to do the CU. Been fixing lots of dodgy wiring. Drilled wires reconnected with a block and plastered over in thae wall. Three double sockets, including one in a completely different room, running off a single (unfused) spur etc etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Home electrics question’ is closed to new replies.