• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by MTT.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Home electrical wiring question
  • MTT
    Free Member

Before I inadvertently burn my new old house down I thought I’d check if the follow was going to be possible and how to go about doing it. I have no practical skills.

In short, I’m looking to add a timer module to a 3kw immersion heater:

Module – here

Bathroom socket selection, ‘heat’ is the one in question:

Inside:

Two questions:

1.The existing setup has two earth connections, one on the power line in and one on the lead out to the heater, each is connected to a separate earth screw. The timer above has a single earth screw – is this a problem? If so, what is the solution?

2.Can you see any other issues with this?

Thanks

Flaperon

1. No problem. That metal bar is linking the two earth connections.

2. Nope.

MTT
    Free Member

Flap – thanks, the issue with the new module is that it only appears to have one earth connection, see page 4 here

Could you just bodge both earth connections into the same hole/screw?

rmacattack
    Free Member

no harm to you, but that wall is a mess. looks like a re wire is due to me .

ThePinkster

Provided they fit, yes you can do that, but make sure you’ve done the screw up really tight afterwards and that they can’t pull out.

nickjb
    Free Member

Could you just bodge both earth connections into the same hole/screw?

Its fine to do that. Just give them both a tug once tightened to make sure they have caught properly.

MTT
    Free Member

Ok, thanks all, I’ll give it a go.

rmacattack – that wall wont exist before long… new wiring, heating/plumbing, floors, kitchen, bathroom, quite a few windows… Saving the money is the biggest issue.

This is a temporary measure to make things a bit easier in the morning.

giant_scum
    Free Member

It’s fine to stick them in together.
    Although the load cable looks like it’s a flex so it might be tricky, but not impossible, to get them tightened up together.
    As others have said give it a tug once you have tightened up the earth terminal to make sure they are in properly.

johndoh
    Free Member

If you have some needle pliers you could twist the wires into one piece to aid them going in and staying in.

I wish I had done just that last night after fitting a new ceiling light and the second one in the run stopped working as one of the live terminals popped out, which meant I had to take the whole thing down again which, given its design, was a faff.

ajaj
    Free Member

no harm to you, but that wall is a mess. looks like a re wire is due to me .

Spoken like a true Sparky, but you forgot to say that he needs a new consumer unit too.

MTT
    Free Member

Spoken like a true Sparky, but you forgot to say that he needs a new consumer unit too.

It needs the works.

The boiler is 36 years old…

bruneep

That wallpaper tho…..wow

MTT
    Free Member

Ps. thanks again for the feedback, I’ve ordered the timer module so should be good to go soon enough.

MTT
    Free Member

That wallpaper tho…..wow

nickjb
    Free Member

twist the wires into one piece to aid them going in and staying in.

Post that on an electricians forum and it’ll run to 78 pages 😀

Sandwich

Do the curtains match exactly? If they do OMG.

phiiiiil

Does it really need to say “plug” on the one with a… plug… in it?

bruneep

How do you know it says PLUG? all I can see is _UG

MTT
    Free Member

Does it really need to say “plug” on the one with a… plug… in it?

But we didnt know to put a plug in it until we wrote plug on it. Now that it’s got a plug in it makes perfect sense.

Do the curtains match exactly? If they do OMG.

If you mean: Are they the same pattern – Yes
    If you mean: When fully drawn, do the curtains line up with the wallpaper – also Yes.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Home electrical wiring question’ is closed to new replies.