Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Home electrical testing "residential purchasers" apparently.
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Afternoon folks,

I have exhausted the other avenues so now I’ll ask the all knowing STW crowd.

We are moving house at the end of the month and have gone down the PX route for our house. The house builder has asked that we get an electrical test and certificate done prior to moving out. I asked what it is called and apparently it’s called a “residential purchasers” certificate.

Struggling to find out much info on what it is, cost and who does it in Dundee area. Plenty companies offer a HMO/Landlords certificate but that’s not what we require. Paper work says “have a certified electrician check the electrics are in working order and safe”.

So what are we needing to get certificate wise, any idea of cost and does anybody know a sparky in Dundee that could do it.

Yours hopefully,

Mike

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

South of the border you’d need a “Domestic Electrical Installation Condition Report” commonly known as a periodic inspection.

Rough cost for a typical property would be £300ish

br
    Free Member

We are moving house at the end of the month and have gone down the PX route for our house. The house builder has asked that we get an electrical test and certificate done prior to moving out. I asked what it is called and apparently it’s called a “residential purchasers” certificate.

Go back to the Builders and request a written statement of what they require (ie testing of what to what standard). Otherwise they could easily reject whatever you pay for as ‘not to spec’.

zelak999
    Free Member

As mentioned you need an ‘Electrical Installation Condition Report’.
    Basically a 6 page document detailing the installation, circuits, test results and any observations for non compliances with the current electrical regulations (BS7671).
    Average cost for our area (Plymouth) is about £175 – £200 inc VAT for a 3 Bed house.
    Its worth getting a couple of quotes, make sure its an NICEIC approved contractor.
    If you tell them how many circuits the consumer unit(s) (fusebox) has/have then they should be able to quote you without coming to the house.
    Good Luck!

murf
    Free Member

As above, an EICR is what you’ll need. I’m working in Perth next Wednesday, it wouldn’t be too far out of my way if you wanted me to do it.
    (Approved Electrician, 18 years experience etc etc…)

Email is Paul_m4 at hotmail dot com

1981miked
    Free Member

Email sent Murf.

Ok just checked the exact wording of what is required.

“An up to date certificate from N.I.C.E.I.C approved contractor or Select for Scotland confirming that the electrical system is in full safe and working order”.

Bloody small print!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Home electrical testing "residential purchasers" apparently.’ is closed to new replies.