Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Home contents including bike cover?
  • Premier Icon hardtailonly

So, having believed that my current home policy covers the total value of all our bikes, whether in the garage, or away from home, I now discover (at policy renewal time) that there is a specific limit on contents in the garage of a max of £5000, which probably only covers 3 out of the family’s 8 bikes.

Annoyed, as I’ve been stung before by previous insurance companies on this clause, and explicitly made sure when first taking out this policy, that all named bikes were covered both home and away.

As our garage is detached from the house, that seems to be where the £5k ‘outbuildings’ limit comes into play.

So, which general home policies will cover bikes in an outbuilding, with a limit up to about £10k, and also away from home?

Cheers.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

Aviva. As far as I can make out, the definition of “home” is any building on your plot.

Bikes are covered anywhere, they charge by the cost of most expensive bike.

Premier Icon teethgrinder

Barclays. 5k max, no limit on number of bikes, accidental damage away from home.

Premier Icon hardtailonly

@teethgrinder

Barclays. 5k max, no limit on number of bikes, accidental damage away from home.

Is that £5k limit per bike, or in total?

Premier Icon teethgrinder

Per bike I believe

Premier Icon AlexSimon

After ringing around loads, I went with Halifax.
    10k total in shed. Covered inside a car as long as out of sight or locked to an immovable part of it (bike rack included as long as that in turn is locked to the car).

Esure were also recommended, but they wouldn’t insure anyone at my postcode (they only insure very low risk areas and mine came up as a flood area – even though I’m halfway up a hill)

I documented it all in this thread:

House/bike insurance renewal time (Pedalcover no longer covering me )

Premier Icon thegeneralist

Is that £5k limit per bike, or in total?

As teeth said, it’s defo per bike with Barclays.

Premier Icon molgrips

Nationwide are ace for us. You just have to name bikes over £1k. Our garage is integral though so not tested the outbuildings cover. But they are good.

Premier Icon dogbone

Aviva Plus. New for Old. Max value is that of contents insurance. We had 3 bikes taken from garage and ended up with a £12k payout.

Renewal went up £150 but still good value. They ask that I have an alarm (which I do now) but I’ve also seriously improved security.

Premier Icon willq
    Free Member

esure for me. Bikes over £1k are individually noted in the policy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.