Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Home cinema speakers q
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Current set up is Pioneer amp fed by optical from the TV. To the TV is set top box and ps3 via HDMI.

From the amp there’s 2 Tannoy 633’s and a 12″ Sony sub. I don’t have a centre or rears as 2x small kids… So essentially 2.1 set up.

The speakers are connected from the amp using the speaker terminals for the L and R and the sub out via RCA. The sub has speaker terminals so I’m wondering what, if any, is to be gained or lost by connecting the speakers to the sub, not directly from the amp? I’ve had to set the speakers as “full size” in the amp as that allows full range sound to them and a signal to the sub.

So – amp to speakers / sub, or amp to sub to speakers? Pros n cons?

I can also biwire the speakers from the amp but I doubt I’ll hear that much difference in all honesty.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So this is the 2nd option as opposed to amp to L and R and amp to sub

andyg1966

For a start wire the set-top box and PS3 (both HDMI?) through the amp. The amp then switches the video to the TV and amplifies the sound.

Subwoofer via RCA from LFE (low frequency effects) and speakers set to large.

The LFE is a dedicated sound track on 5.1 and above sound tracks and there now point in mixing it in to the stereo.

twisty

The sub would only pass the higher frequencys on it’s speaker terminals so you don’t get crossover between the sub and speakers, however, all receivers nowadays also apply bandpass filters on their outputs also let you set the sub x-over frequency so there would be no benefit in using the subs amps.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah righty. Amp is a few years old and doesn’t have hdmi in / out hence running things through the tv hdmi and optical out to the amp.

Speakers are set to large on the amp but I read that it might sound better if they weren’t set to large as that concentrates to signal to the mid and high and leave the sub to do the bass.

I’m not going to achieve audiophile levels with the kit I have but just wondered if speakers from the amp might be a tad better, but clearly not. Amp is connected by subwoofer rca out (and a monster sub cable that was super cheap).

I may end up ditching the speakers and the sub as a chap near me is selling some cerwin Vega 710s which have ten in subs. Again, nowhere near audiophile level but I do love my techno and drum n bass and the 12 inch Sony sub struggles with the Pace.

Love messing around though. I switch amps as people here seem to sell on at crazy prices. The pioneer amp I got was $20 and been eyeing up a nice Onkyo receiver which does have hdmi connections.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Pioneer VSX 518 amp… Budget, but does the job and drives the Tannoy 633 pretty well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Home cinema speakers q’ is closed to new replies.