Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Home cinema setup, decent audio playback
  • alanf
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting an amp with built in wifi for use as a home cinema setup but also as a hifi. I think I’ve found the amp I want but I’m unsure on speakers.
    Will a 5.1 surround speaker setup be any good for just audio/music or am I better getting dedicated hifi speakers and cretaing a speaker set-up?

I’ve not really got much of an idea on this so any advice appreciated

M6TTF
    Free Member

depends how much of an audiophile you are I guess. If you’re playing compressed music over wifi then I think a good 5.1 speaker set up will probably sound fine.

alanf
    Free Member

I’m not a massive audiophile so maybe that would suffice then.
    I have some monitor audio speakers on another system so was thinking of those as a starting point.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Hmm I had a high/mid end av receiver from the early noughties £800ish and weighed 20+kg, with some pretty high end speakers (£500each * 5, +sub of course), I was never very happy with the music side of things, led to me listening to a lot less music on my hifi. Receiver died and I replaced it with a distinctly mid market (£500) hi fi amp and some quite nice £800ish standmounters and the new setup absolutely murders the old setup for SQ, not even close.

Maybe things have improved in the intervening years, maybe I had a mismatch on my equipment, dunno.

Klunk
    Free Member

Most multi channel receivers have a Stereo only mode to help with playing hifi but in my case this is let down by the necessity of having the speakers set up with the TV in mind making it less than ideal for hifi listening.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Home cinema setup, decent audio playback’ is closed to new replies.