Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Home Beer Taps :)
  • plus-one

Ok been around a while now but why didn’t I get one sooner !!

I opted for Krups machine as they do my fave birra moretti and the smaller kegs fit easier into fridge to pre-chill 🙂

I won’t go back to bottles now. My neighbors won’t know how much I drink now 😉

reeksy

Good move.
    Been running 19 litre kegs of all-grain homebrew for 10 years now. If I ever run out of kegged beer the ridiculous waste of bottles and cans drives me insane.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

+1 on 19 litre homebrew setups!

willard

That is a long term plan. Currently bottling my homebrew, but when I finally move out full time to the country and get a proper home office, I’m getting a small fridge and making a kegerator.

theotherjonv

That is cool.

I saw one advertised a few days ago – Pinter. Sounds like you ferment from a concentrate into a self pressurising vessel – and I guess it depends on the quality of the concentrate as to how drinkable it turns out but there seems to be a good selection of types.

https://pinter.co.uk/

matt_outandabout

I applaud yourguitarhero. 🙌

MoreCashThanDash

There’s a whole new level of aspiration there, still not bought an STW approved coffee machine

willard

Walls fridge next to a wall.

wallception

davros

My 9l keg lives in the cellar, which is cool enough most of the year, but not ideal in summer. I’ll pick up a freebie fridge one day for a kegerator/fermentation fridge.

Homebrew beer dungeon

wobbliscott
    Free Member

@yourguitarhero is that a re-purposed fire extinguisher you have as your CO2 tank in your Walls fridge?

plus-one

Wow !! I’m only a trainee I doff my cap to your proper beer nuts 🙂

scruff9252

A twin home brew beer tap at home. That’s very impressive!

Blackflag
    Free Member

I drink IPA type stuff and for those the keg things dont work out much cheaper than a proper pub.

The lagers are almost half the price.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yes, I use expired CO2 extinguishers to carbonate the kegs and as the dispense gas too.

Have now moved to my girlfriend’s place so need to rebuild the setup. Getting a freebie tall fridge from work move so will be moving to 4 taps/lines

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ve been advised by a real brewer that those Pinter machines arent a bad idea but ultimately will result in a rushed/compromised brew.

There’s a brew kit and an Angram in my folks loft, that’s the way I’m leaning.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Plays guitar, makes homebrew AND has a girlfriend? A Triple threat?

You’ll be claiming to ride mountain bikes next.

kayak23

Very impressive those.

How do you resist the temptation to pour yourself a nice pint for breakfast? 😅

toby1

You’ll be claiming to ride mountain bikes next.

On this forum, not a chance 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve been advised by a real brewer that those Pinter machines arent a bad idea but ultimately will result in a rushed/compromised brew.

Probably right. I just don’t see the point.I can see the point of the beer pumps and branded beer you like to drink, but struggle to see the point in having a machine that actually brews beer like this. Firstly the point of home brew is you can make anything you like…make your own recipe. But with the Pinter kit you’re limited to their kits. Why not just buy ready made beer like with the Krups option? Why use the kit then wait a couple of weeks before you can brew it instead of just plugging in another keg?

Also it seems they don’t make the best beer. You might not care or detect it if you drink carling…but if you demand some flavour from your beer it might not quite hit the spot. I guess if they take off they can be developed and improved.

theotherjonv

I don’t really drink now – I had a very toxic relationship with beer in my early 30’s – so it’s not for me anyway. But I read a bit more and the internet answers would be

1/ you can get a second vessel for £40 so you can have one in use and one brewing at a time, the fancy end bit is only used while brewing.

2/ if you brew and condition for longer the quality improves. Maybe you’re polishing a turd but some reviews suggest it’s quite an improvement

3/ Works out about 1/3 of the price of the beer pumps

4/ satisfies man’s need to feel like you brewed it yourself, even if you didn’t really.

ThePilot
    Free Member

The lazy cheapskate in me fancies giving Pinter a go.
    My sensible head tells me it will taste like postmix Coke.
    Undecided.

Cougar

I have an actual bar.

There’s nothing in it, but it’s there. It was built by the previous owners and I can’t rip it out without needing to replace the whole floor so that’s not happening any time soon.

hodge1365

BeerHawk…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

1/ you can get a second vessel for £40 so you can have one in use and one brewing at a time, the fancy end bit is only used while brewing.

2/ if you brew and condition for longer the quality improves. Maybe you’re polishing a turd but some reviews suggest it’s quite an improvement

3/ Works out about 1/3 of the price of the beer pumps

4/ satisfies man’s need to feel like you brewed it yourself, even if you didn’t really.

Still not convinced.
    1. You can just as easily buy more branded kegs or more ingredients if you’re a home brewer.
    2. Not with diacetyl which is what the chap in the review was detecting. But anyway depends on the beer style. Some need drinking while they’re fresh, some benefit from a month or so conditioning and some need a year or more. But there comes a point where it’s not going to get much better. And you have to brew it properly in the first place to avoid things like diacetyl.
    3. But what’s the long term running cost but it may be cheaper. And You’re tied into their recipe kits. Don’t know.
    4. I can see that appeal. I bet most will use it once and it will get consigned to the ‘unused gadget’ cabinet in the kitchen where it will sit for a couple of years before going on eBay.

Just seems t encompass all the downsides of home brew and none of the upsides.

reeksy

I’m getting a small fridge and making a kegerator.

And so begins the slippery slope.
    I have a total of four family sized beer fridges/freezers in the garage and carport. One for fermentation, one for serving, the other two died and I just don’t get around to taking them to the tip. I think there’s been at least two others that i did take to the tip.

Yes, my wife is mightily impressed.

willard

Yeah, I bought a fermentation fridge before summer really hit. It currently holds a NEIPA and is responsible for the best weissen I have made. And the cracking rye saison that I fermented at 27C.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

And so begins the slippery slope.
    I have a total of four family sized beer fridges/freezers in the garage and carport. One for fermentation, one for serving, the other two died and I just don’t get around to taking them to the tip. I think there’s been at least two others that i did take to the tip.

Yes, my wife is mightily impressed.

Ha..yes…you don’t get into homebrew to save money. I currently have 4 fridges in my small single garage. Had to buy an additional one when I brewed a lager because the lagering process was 8 weeks which was severely hampering my brewing schedule. Fermentation is definitely the bottleneck in the process…and the most important part. Brewers only make sugary water…yeast turns it into beer so ultimately its all about the fermentation.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Home Beer Taps :)’ is closed to new replies.