Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Holywell Bay Fun Park, Newquay
  • Harry_the_Spider

Was plotting and scheming about what to do with the kids in Cornwall this summer and have just found out that Holywell Bay Fun Park has gone! 8-(

I must have spent hundreds on the go karts there on several “chaps” holidays in the early 90s.

Bugger.

Anyone else remember it?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Was the skatepark still there then? Vague memory of having a roll around for 10mins before the attendant turned up and wanted to charge us!

Steelsreal

the battle boats were our favourite thing , never seen anywhere else…

Steelsreal

just for reference here’s a poor video, there were two people in these one driver at the front and a gunner in the 360 swivelling turret shooting foam tennis balls at each other. Spectators also shot at each other…

you tube battle boat

tommyhine

Spent many a family holiday their in the 90’s. actually booked to go in june but had to cancel. was sad to see that it had gone but i’m sure it was starting to crumble a bit. the last time i went was a lads holiday in around 2005 probably.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Yes remember it well. We used to stay at the Sandy Beach hotel in Mawgan Porth so Holywell Bay was close by. Loved the go kart track betwixt the dunes and I spent a serious portion of my holiday “spends” on a Defender machine in the cafe. I also remember a go kart track at St. Mirren. Happy days.

lairdburkart
    Free Member

Called in not long before it closed.
    We got the best bacon sarnie ever.
    Might have an original 70’s Holywell zip up hoodie somewhere.
    I can smell the go carts and the stables

BigJohn

Thank goodness the bumper boats are still going strong at Woolacombe. I’m not sure they were there when I was a nipper but our kids enjoyed them, and so do our grandkids.

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t remember Holywell (we stopped going to Newquay as a family in around 1980 – was it there then)? If so my parents have lots to answer for!!!

I do remember the Boating Lake though – that was a treat on every holiday. 🙂

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Can’t say I’m surprised (we had the place to ourselves last time we went) but it is a shame, it had an understated charm!

I think part of Holywell Bays appeal is it’s a bit out of the way/quieter and not an out and out consumerist mecca! The layout of the surrounding area means it probably never will be i.e. people don’t often stumble upon the area, you have to walk to the beach over the dunes, there’s only a pub and small shop close to the beach, with the village further back down the road.

The beach and surrounding area are stunning. If you have a young family and like a chilled (not Disney/Alton Towers) holiday it’s up there with some of the best in Britain.

I might have span someone during a spirited session on the go karts utilising the pit manoeuvre, yes I did win!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Holywell Bay Fun Park, Newquay’ is closed to new replies.