Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Holy grail – fast durable 700c commuter tyre?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

AS above. Have not been impressed with longevity of conti’s would like something 28c but light-ish and not going to get ripped by town commute. TIA

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    ton

😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I run Spesh Armadillos. Not hugely fast, but very durable.

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

I know you said no contis but have you tried ultra gator skins? A great little tyre.

ton

cynic-al, nice when people dont swear at you in’t it…. ❓

tang
    Free Member

i like conti sport contact, not been running long. last set was panaracer crosstown 28c. very tough, quickish. armadillos are a good shout for toughness.

ton
    akira

Running Spesh All Condition Armadillos in 23c, lasted a lot of miles through London town and picked big old hunks of glass out of them with no actual punctures, not the worlds fastest tyre but barrel em up nice and hard and they’re fine.

mudshark
    Free Member

Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase is a good option especially at this price:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/9625.html

twohats
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member

Al,

These are bob on Bru..

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=MICHTYRF410

They’re not that good, cut up too easily especially if used for commuting.

I’d recommend Contis, but that’s not you want to hear…

andym
    Free Member

Fast, durable. Choose one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know you said no contis but have you tried ultra gator skins? A great little tyre.

Tried one – about right weight etc but it perished within months and delaminated shortly afterwards.

ton – easy when you know how to behave! And the tyre – thanks but too heavy.

Those bonty’s look close…I’d try teh spesh’s but the marketing blurb contains 2 outright lies so I can’t face it!

Our exclusive siped tread pattern finds traction in even wet conditions, and is combined with our motorcycle-inspired radius design that minimizes contact in straight lines, while maximizing contact surface and traction in corners.

geoffj

Spesh Armadillos here – very good.

izakimak
    Free Member

Conti gator skins, 25c at 110psi. Not light but they do last.

sssimon
    Free Member

panaracer ribmo

definately the most durable and punture resistant tyre that still has some grip

cy

I’ve got the Bonty Race Lite’s; they’re tough but blinking heavy. I’d go for the Race X-Lite versions next time, as they’ve armoured but weigh about the same as a mid-range normal tyre. Funky sidewall colours too if that floats your boat.

clubber
    Free Member

Another vote for specialized armadillos – I’ve had one on the back (where I tend to get most punctures) for about two years now and haven’t had a single puncture (at least not that I can remember) which is a big improvement on the gatorskins I had before though in general, those are decent tyres. I can’t say that I noticed any difference in speed either.

mudshark
    Free Member

Having been prompted to do some research on this from this thread I’m gonna try and get some Michelin Krylions which I’ll use as winter tyres – hard to find at the moment though.

MrSmith
    Free Member

spend a bit more and get conti 4 seasons. the kryolins are good tyres but i wouldn’t call them a winter tyre.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Conti sport contacts?
    Seem to be faster rolling than armaddilos, not quite as puncture proof, but good for about 2000 miles on the rear, before punctures become an issue.

Slavie
    Free Member

I’d back up the case for Bonty Race-lite Hardcase and am currently running 28s. Plenty fast enough for commuting and I’ve had a few sets and never had a puncture (tempting fate here!) until the tyres have been badly worn and it’s been my own fault for not replacing them. I’m also over 16st, so the fact they prevent pinch flats (120psi) is pretty impressive.

They may not be the lightest in the world but they’r not bad and you won’t be thinking about the benefit of getting home 30 seconds quicker because of light tyres whne you’re at the roadside changing tubes in the dark and pishing rain!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

as with mr smith – conti 4 seasons on the training bike, GP4000s on the race bike.

AdamM
    Free Member

Slightly puzzled by your experience with Continental Ultra Gatorskins, as I’ve used nothing but those on my commute bike for daily use around London and they’ve always lasted well. Just about to replace my 23c tyres after 3 years as they are now worn out and full of cuts from glass and other debris, but only had 2 punctures in those 3 years.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all. My commute is 25m through the city – so tyres need to be durable but I can’t hack the heavy dead feeling of the “puncture-proof” tyres I’ve tried after a spin on my “fun” road bike. I’ll maye look at conti’s and bonty’s again.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase on my commuter, some of which is on glass strwen cycle paths. I have the occasional puncture but nothing major.

I’m using conti 4 seasons on my road bike at the monet and I’m pretty impressed with them so far. Once the roads improve, as in it rains and all the crap gets flushed away, I’ll stick them on the commuter and go back to pro race 3’s on my road bike. The Bonty’s are a fair bit slower than the contis.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I quite like Schwalbe Marathons, although they are pretty weighty.

hels
    Free Member

Hi Al

Go in the Bike Works and say:

“I want a pair of road tyres absolutely guaranteed not to puncture riding through Penicuik High Street on a monday, and if they do I will be after your job…”

That worked for me ! (having flatted on broken glass 3 times that monday morning)

I can’t remember what they sold me but they (as she blithely tempts fate) have been mint so far.

P.S Why haven’t you entered the TT on the 15th at Inners yet ??

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks Hels – they stock contis, or at least used to when I worked there.

I’ve barely done any riding of late so I’m not really in the mood for a gubbing at your TT!

hels
    Free Member

I am sure you keep yourself fit, and anyway its dead technical so you will be fine ! I think ERC are making it the club XC champs too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

WOOP! Only handz to beat.

*stqarts training*

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Holy grail – fast durable 700c commuter tyre?’ is closed to new replies.